Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Installing a Ceiling fan

While looking at some of the newer Itasca motorhomes I noticed some have ceiling fans. I am wondering if anyone has installed one, and if so how did you get the power to it and support it? I think that would be a nice addition to our coach. I'm thinking I would like to install one in the bedroom.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Most people tap into the closest 12-volt appliance such as a ceiling light or a powered roof vent. We used a light. The job gets increasingly complex if you want to use a wall-mounted switch since you'll have to fish the wires through the wall as well. The simplest way is to tap into an existing power source (like a ceiling light). Then, get a ceiling fan that has a switch on the fan itself. In terms of getting the wire from the light to the new fan, it all depends on the RV. Some people take advantage of their AC duct-work while others run the wires through their RV's ceiling material using fish wire (available at electrical supply stores). I would suggest using crimped wire fittings to make sure the connections are sound. Vibration can loosen conventional wire nuts over time. Likewise, pay close attention to the mounting hardware. Use lock washers and anchors that are appropriate for your RV's ceiling. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
While looking at some of the newer Itasca motorhomes I noticed some have ceiling fans. I am wondering if anyone has installed one, and if so how did you get the power to it and support it? I think that would be a nice addition to our coach. I'm thinking I would like to install one in the bedroom.
i replaced the light on the ceiling in the bedroom with the fan. the light already has a wall switch. i cut a circular plate out of aluminum and drilled a 1/2'' hole in the middle for the wiring. i mounted the plate to the ceiling with 8 long #10 screws, then the fan to this plate. i mounted the fan to the plate with 3 1/4'' bolts with washers. i spaced the eight holes to miss the 3 fan mount holes. the fan has an infrared sensor that i mounted to the ceiling with rtv sealant.
i chose a 40'' 12v fan from backwoods solar that uses an infrared remote control, has 3 speeds and is reversible.
my fan made ticking noises when new. the noises would quit when the direction was reversed. the fan was manufactured in china. it is ok now in both directions. i have been using it for over 3 years. i can run this fan with the slide in or out and with the cabinets open or closed. i am 5'10'' tall and can walk under it when it is running with no problem. this fan makes a big difference while sleeping in the summer.

Backwoods Solar Electric Systems
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Dan mentioned something pretty important - the slide and the fan.
My friend had his all installed before he noticed the bedroom hit the blades when it is retracted. He has to take a blade off when before he brings the slide in.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We added a ceiling fan in the bedroom a few years ago. I took down the original light and put the fan directly in its place. I then got a new light fixture with a built in on/off switch. The new light is directly in front of the fan and can either be left in the on position and regulated with the wall switch or switched off on the fixture so the fan can run at night.

The fan came from PPL motorhomes. Its 42" in diameter, 4 speeds, reversible, and has a remote control. At the time you could get either 42" (4 blades) or 48" (5 blades). We needed the smaller one so we could still open the overhead cabinets while the fan was operating.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We had one in our 2000 Dutch Star, factory option. They wouldn't put on in the 2002 due to the bedroom slide and headroom constraints so I did it myself. Used a 30" low clearance 6 blade 120 volt unit. Remove the ceiling light to get access to the stringers, added crossbracing and ran the wire over to the wall cabinet then to a wall plug. We have a 2000 watt inverter that's almost always on (the U-line ice maker needs 120) so it's no problem.
I have pictures of it somewhere, I can post them if anyone wants to see the finished product. I didn't take any during the work though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I installed a 110v fan over my bedroom door. It is a swivel base 10 inch high power fan. I screwed the base to the door frame. It was much easier to install than a ceiling fan and i don't have to worry about clearance. For three years it has worked fine.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

For those that installed fans, how did you anchor them to the ceiling. I have a 2003 Adventurer 38g and am planning on putting it where one of the ceiling lights is. I picked it up at GNR last year.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
For those that installed fans, how did you anchor them to the ceiling. I have a 2003 Adventurer 38g and am planning on putting it where one of the ceiling lights is. I picked it up at GNR last year.
read post #3.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The "headliner" in our coach is glued to luan plywood probably about 3/16" thick. I went to the hardware store and bought some expanding wall anchors used for materials 1/8" to 3/8" thick. I used the fan mounting base as a template and drilled a couple holes sized for the anchors at the appropriate places. Then I pushed the anchors through the plywood and tightened the bolts. When the anchor bolt is tightened the anchor collapses and tightens itself against the back of the panel. Once the base was secure to the roof I pulled the original light wires through, attached them to the fan, then attached the fan to the base.

When attaching the wires to the fan leads with wire nuts I also added a couple pigtails to power a new ceiling light. I drilled a new hole a couple feet forward and in line with the original hole. Then ran a stiff wire (coat hangar) in the new hole back to the original. I taped the pigtails to the wire and pulled them back through the new hole. Then it was just a matter of attaching the wires to the new light, and screwing the light to the ceiling.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The "headliner" in our coach is glued to luan plywood probably about 3/16" thick. I went to the hardware store and bought some expanding wall anchors used for materials 1/8" to 3/8" thick. I used the fan mounting base as a template and drilled a couple holes sized for the anchors at the appropriate places. Then I pushed the anchors through the plywood and tightened the bolts. When the anchor bolt is tightened the anchor collapses and tightens itself against the back of the panel. Once the base was secure to the roof I pulled the original light wires through, attached them to the fan, then attached the fan to the base.

When attaching the wires to the fan leads with wire nuts I also added a couple pigtails to power a new ceiling light. I drilled a new hole a couple feet forward and in line with the original hole. Then ran a stiff wire (coat hangar) in the new hole back to the original. I taped the pigtails to the wire and pulled them back through the new hole. Then it was just a matter of attaching the wires to the new light, and screwing the light to the ceiling.
That's awfully thin material even with the anchors! Remember, this is a moving vehicle subject to lots of vibration and bouncing with the fan hanging from thin material. In a stick house they use a special metal brace designed for fans and they are bolted in. In our stick house they are bolted to a 6" X 24" beam with 2½" screws or lag bolts. In the DSDP my stringers are aluminum on 16" centers, I put a 1" thick board between the stringers and screwed into the board through the headliner and luan backer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's awfully thin material even with the anchors! Remember, this is a moving vehicle subject to lots of vibration and bouncing with the fan hanging from thin material. In a stick house they use a special metal brace designed for fans and they are bolted in. In our stick house they are bolted to a 6" X 24" beam with 2½" screws or lag bolts. In the DSDP my stringers are aluminum on 16" centers, I put a 1" thick board between the stringers and screwed into the board through the headliner and luan backer.
It's true the material is thin. However the complete fan weighs only about 3 lbs. The fans in our stick house weigh in the neighborhood of 30 lbs each. The fan has been mounted to the cieling for over 5 years and 50,000 miles. It survived the Top of The World Highway which was 110 miles of the worst road known to man. The road was so rough our top speed was less than 15 miles an hour. It took almost 12 hours to complete the 110 miles and everything including the fan came through just fine.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
read post #3.
It was post #3 that caused me to post the question. To me 3 screws through the luan into the foam doesn't seem like it would last. I was thinking of an anchor that would take advantage of the foam on top of the luan. I am afraid the luan could separate from the foam.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It was post #3 that caused me to post the question. To me 3 screws through the luan into the foam doesn't seem like it would last. I was thinking of an anchor that would take advantage of the foam on top of the luan. I am afraid the luan could separate from the foam.
re read #3 again.
i used 8 long #10 screws to mount a circular aluminum plate to the ceiling. those 8 screws go through the luan. ''long'' is the clue here. i don't remember exactly how long, probably 1.5''-2''. there was room for a ninth, but i only had 8. i would have used #12 screws if i had had them.
the fan assembly mounts to this plate with 3 each 1/4'' bolts. it is important to lay out all the holes before mounting the plate to the ceiling so the 3 fan mount holes do not overlap the screws.
i installed the fan in june of 2007 and it is still mounted tightly to the ceiling and works ok.
we still have enough lights in the bedroom. the light fixture that we removed to install the fan is not missed.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I considered installing a ceiling fan in the bedroom. I called the Winnebago "help" desk an asked if it was feasible. I had seen the fan in other Winnebago coaches and mentioned it to the technician. He did some searching and then informed me that the ceiling where the light was located was not braced for a ceiling fan. My thought is if someone is installing it how are they bracing the ceiling for the extra weight?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
re read #3 again.
i used 8 long #10 screws to mount a circular aluminum plate to the ceiling. those 8 screws go through the luan. ''long'' is the clue here. i don't remember exactly how long, probably 1.5''-2''. there was room for a ninth, but i only had 8. i would have used #12 screws if i had had them.
the fan assembly mounts to this plate with 3 each 1/4'' bolts. it is important to lay out all the holes before mounting the plate to the ceiling so the 3 fan mount holes do not overlap the screws.
i installed the fan in june of 2007 and it is still mounted tightly to the ceiling and works ok.
we still have enough lights in the bedroom. the light fixture that we removed to install the fan is not missed.
Even with the length, it is really only a couple of threads of each screw in the luan holding the fan. I am thinking of ways to glue anchors in to the foam. Will probably pre-drill slightly smaller than the anchor and put Gorilla glue on the anchor when inserted and force into the hole. Gorilla glue expands while curing and was recommended to me by a Winnebago engineer for gluing to the foam.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Wish we had an overhead light! Looks like I will need to to some fishin! First I will need to find the roof stringer to secure it. Sounds like a good winter project.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Even with the length, it is really only a couple of threads of each screw in the luan holding the fan. I am thinking of ways to glue anchors in to the foam. Will probably pre-drill slightly smaller than the anchor and put Gorilla glue on the anchor when inserted and force into the hole. Gorilla glue expands while curing and was recommended to me by a Winnebago engineer for gluing to the foam.
the 8 screws have been holding my fan to the ceiling just fine since june of 2007.
this fan is not heavy, hikerdogs says his only weighs 3#. i don't know if it the same fan that i have. i am estimating my fan weighs less than 4#.
my dw took a couple of pictures of the fan with her new 'droid cell phone. one of them is upside down but shows how much clearance there is between the fan blades and the open cabinet doors. there is about the same clearance between the slide frame and the fan when the slide is retracted.
by design, my fan is used with the bedroom slide in or out.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Thanks to you and your wife for the pictures.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks to you and your wife for the pictures.

Tags
ceiling, fan