Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2023, 01:48 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

If it's not water damage - what is it? Check the pic

Hi, I have this problem on the overhead area by the passenger window. There was a small area there when we bought the RV (2nd owner) but it's slowly gotten worse.

I've always suspected water damage, but I've never seen any water, at all, thankfully. In addition, I recently pulled off the cover for the A post to see if there was any water/rust on the steel column. The column looked like brand new! Further, any taping, banging, pushing of the area shows no soft/questionable spots, it's rock solid.

I will say, I'm beginning to suspect heat as this is where the western sun would hit it and being black, it is HOT! The wrinkled material (wallpaper?) is extremely crispy!

First, I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject, and does anyone know if this covering can be purchased from Winnie?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231023_103247.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	187636  
Old 10-23-2023, 06:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had this on our 2015 Vista and I don't think it is water but more like just the material not sticking as well as it should as we bounce the RV around?
We had the wrinkle next to windows and door where it could get wet but we also had it along the back side of the kitchen cabinet where it about had to be simple movement.

We sold before ever solving the question.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 06:34 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We constantly fight with our wall covering in our 2016 Adventurer. Caused by lots of summertime interior heat and movement/flexing of the walls in travel. We finally, gave up using a hair dryer/heat gun to straighten it out. Now we use the hair dryer and heat gun to remove the covering and paint the underlying wall. Looks so much better.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 02:52 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Americanrascal - sounds like it may be a good alternative. Might you have any pictures of the areas you've painted. I'd like to see it before committing to it. Thanks
Old 10-26-2023, 05:35 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Sure- may be a few hours though. It was the wife's project and she did well with it. Will try to grab some pics and post it.

She wet the covering with soapy water, then peeled back from a corner peeling back and pulling it off while continually wetting. (I got drafted to help with that part). Removal seemed to go fast.She used a straight knife blade to cut around corners for a clean prep. The hair dryer was limited in use and she didn't think it was effective in removal???? ( I thought it helped soften it-- but what do I know?)

Once removed, she lightly sanded the walls with a a fine grit sanding block to smooth out the roughness. Then came a primer followed by a Behr paint. Wall cracks along panel seams were filled with wood filler, but in retrospect she thinks sheet rock joint plaster and wall tape would have been better. ( I think paintable caulk would be better??) We continue to work on that.

But frankly it looks pretty good to us, but lots more to do. The easiest part for me was mostly staying out of the way while she took on this mission. That worked great.
Joe
Old 10-26-2023, 10:54 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Here are 3 pics of what has been done. There are more areas complete but can't access them at this time for pics as they are behind retracted slides.

One is of the interior of the door which is complete. another is of the "A" Pillar on the passenger side forward, and the last slide is of the exterior bathroom wall.

Originally we had (and still have) area exactly as depicted in you pics or worse. These areas in the pics I am attaching have been completed about 4 months ad are doing well. Still much more to do.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20231026_124015490.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	187665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231026_124046769.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	187666  

Name:	IMG_20231026_124138584.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	187667  
Old 10-27-2023, 03:29 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Wow, that looks great, and what a perfect color choice. I know exact colors seldom show correctly on different computers, but it appears as an off white/cream color. I think it brightens it up a bit. Nice job!

Now that we know what and how to do it, we'll have to see if inspiration hits us. The current projects are roof edge sealing, what a PITA, and new brakes etc. on the tow dolly. However, while we're sitting in Florida for three months, maybe.

Thanks for the nice response!
Rick
Old 10-28-2023, 04:26 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Its a good rainy cold day job We decided we just don't have to do it all at once and probably have about 1/3 of the rig completed. Pulling the old stuff off is the slowest part, but once you get a section started it goes OK. Best of luck with your projects. Oh- and by the way- we decided to use a semi gloss. Might have used a full gloss in the bath and kitchen area?

Joe
Old 10-30-2023, 05:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Could be racking (flexing) of the walls.

Ours isn't as bad as yours. Since some of it was there when we bought it I thought it was done at the factory but now there are more wrinkles. Now I think it is racking. As the coach flexes the walls twist a little but the window frame doesn't (as much). Each little twist adds up and the wall paper slowly gets pushed out of position. Just a hypothesis.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If it was a leak, you would smell and see discoloration and even black mold.
DeltaRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 01:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Sadly, I understand you cannot buy the paper. Apparently the mfg receives wall panels with the paper already installed, and I hear you MIGHT be able to buy a wall panel but not just the paper.

It is indeed from heat, age, and movement. On a priorly trailer, I tried to technique of removing and repainting. It was a pain. But I think I missed the important step of wetting the paper to peel it! That would make a huge difference. Mine came off unevenly so left lots of prep remaining. Ended up selling the trailer "as is" because I didn't want to finish the project!

Our new rig has this going on in multiple spots so I am going to have to do SOMETHING! Not selling this one (anytime soon).
EverettO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 02:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

i would assume the cause of the wrinkled paper was poor initial installation and shrinkage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:19 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

OP here, I think that, for now, the plan will be to "put it on the list", maybe near the bottom.

If I run out of other things that need attention, maybe I'll try the removal and painting idea. In the meantime, as long as it's not coming off the wall on its own, I'm good with it.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions, they were great as always.

Rick
Old 11-01-2023, 09:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

LOL. That's where it is on my list too. At least the list in my head. But it is a progressive problem. The more heat, the more it loosens. So I might try a blow dryer and adhesive spray to stretch and tack it back in place.
EverettO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:14 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Both of our Winnebago class A’s (2017 Vista, 2022 Forza) have areas where the paper pull away or wrinkle. I’m not sure I’m up for the removal as someone else did but it’s a great idea.

Tags
water