Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Roy, my rig has 3 slides, the rear bedroom has one ram, no access from outside, but
there is access if you remove all the bedding, and plywood over the frame. the two
hyd hoses come up from the floor in the engine dept, and go into the bottom of
the ram mechcanism. There is a slot in which they go, I have to unbolt the framing at the foot of the bed then I should be able to push the room out a bit, to get at a lg bolt
I need to undo. that being said I then can push the room out father and get at the ram where the two connections are. this is a 325 hwh system. the lines into the ram are 1/8", and I think they are attached to 1/4" lines from the pump.

Are you saying hwh paid for these two lines? I have not contacted the parts dept yet, Randy for hwh told me when I call to have the numbers off the hoses so they'll get me the correct ones.

Have you reattached the new lines yet and if so how did you bleed the lines?

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelpo View Post
Roy, my rig has 3 slides, the rear bedroom has one ram, no access from outside, but
there is access if you remove all the bedding, and plywood over the frame. the two
hyd hoses come up from the floor in the engine dept, and go into the bottom of
the ram mechcanism. There is a slot in which they go, I have to unbolt the framing at the foot of the bed then I should be able to push the room out a bit, to get at a lg bolt
I need to undo. that being said I then can push the room out father and get at the ram where the two connections are. this is a 325 hwh system. the lines into the ram are 1/8", and I think they are attached to 1/4" lines from the pump.

Are you saying hwh paid for these two lines? I have not contacted the parts dept yet, Randy for hwh told me when I call to have the numbers off the hoses so they'll get me the correct ones.

Have you reattached the new lines yet and if so how did you bleed the lines?

Phelpo
Sorry for the delay, I've been working on my Jeep all day.

If you check one of my posts on this thread I list the wording on the defective lines. HWH will pay for the repair, however, only if the wording is exact. They sent me two new lines and an invoice. I called and was told that once I return the defective lines I'll get a credit.

My lines run from the front and enter the storage compartment from underneath near the LP bottle. You might be able to see the lettering on the lines from underneath without disconnecting them or starting the work.

Without going into a step-by-step description I'll describe what I needed to do briefly. The entire bed surface had to be removed as well as the inner floor. From there I could see the front of the ram where it was bolted to a bracket at the edge of the slide. Since my slide was out I was able to access the bolt. I don't know if that bolt would have been accessible with the slide in.

In my case there was no access to the cylinder, lines or anything else from the bed. There were two flat head machine screws (Allen 7/32"...I think) that secured the rear of the cylinder and can be accessed from the bed. Those were secured with Loctite and were difficult to remove (use a 3/8" socket with an Allen wrench built in).

It seems that if you can disconnect the ram from the slide you should be able to muscled it out. The slide out needs to be all the way out and the ram retracted to pull the cylinder out far enough to disconnect the front line, then you can pull the cylinder the rest of the way out to disconnect the rear line. Of course all of this applies to my unit/system.

Don't hold me to this but I think that the defective lines were used in the model years 2000 and 2001. But I would certainly check the lettering before I did anything else. If you have the bad lines HWH will probably pay to have it repaired.

Also, you should nose around on HWH's website for your system and see if there are any PDF files for the repair procedure.

I think I posted a reply that said that I replaced the front line with a heavy-duty hydraulic line that I had made up at a local NAPA store. I put the old rear line back in (it wasn't leaking) I had the whole job done before HWH got back to me.

When I did my job I didn't back out the screws on the solenoids...I knew there would be pressure in the lines...I was right but a I had a large plastic tarp under the MH.

I read somewhere that I didn't have to bleed the lines, as the fluid would just force the air through the lines back to the tank. It worked.

Got to get some eats and sleep, I'll check back tomorrow.

Roy
Old 09-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

ok update, got the info how to get at the hyd lines, except I had to drill out a channel in the aluminum to get the two allen bolts out. They came out and I was able to push the slide out with help. Took the large bolt out and was ablt to pull the ram out from outside. Disconnected the two lines and have ordered

new lines.

Phelpo
Old 09-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelpo View Post
ok update, got the info how to get at the hyd lines, except I had to drill out a channel in the aluminum to get the two allen bolts out. They came out and I was able to push the slide out with help. Took the large bolt out and was ablt to pull the ram out from outside. Disconnected the two lines and have ordered

new lines.

Phelpo
Great, I hope it works out for you.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Lines arrived today, filled tank and tighten all pump nuts, now to reinstall
lines, (pray) and flip the switch....Chuck at Rvleveling told me to cover the hyd
lines in the engine room with plastic rap. Wed is d day.

Phelpo
Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

all went well, hoses fit, ram works we are back in business......folks check those
hoses if you have a dp, the plastic wrap had come off both of the old lines.

Phelpo