Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2022, 03:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

e10 fuel issue

Hi I have an old 1978 winnebago / Itasca. can any tell me if my old fuel lines will suffer from the new E10 petrol ?
jetdaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Assuming the E10 fuel in the UK is similar to our E15 gas here in the USA the answer is that it might be an issue with rubber sections of your fuel delivery lines. Here in the US additives are sold to help with this issue and many stations sell none-ethanol gas and at higher price.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think you will be wading very deep into a very political question, so beware of the advise as much of it will likely be slantly to make their opinion sound much more trustworthy!

I do not know as I've never used E15 in any older cars but just in older things like different gas powered machines where we have never noticed any difference.

Many folks do complain they are "required" to use other, higher priced options and they may have it right---or they may simply be using the info given to them by the oil/ petrol industry experts!

So it may be a case of looking for the most reliable info and checking the source and going with what you feel is right as there is not likely to be a consistant answer to be found!

With the internet being used as a primary method to influence the world, we are no longer getting the straight answer on many topics!

My personal view is that much of it is bogus as I see lots of older cars and trucks being fueled at the same pump as newer cars and I don't see lots more than normal settingon the side ofthe road. Does that mean those drivers are that much more alert on this issue than most or does it mean the hazard is far less than many believe?

Do you believe LED lights bulbs are good? That is often the divide I see on using ethanol fuel but that makes it a political decision, not a physical/ practical one!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

All I can say is, so far my 1932 Chevrolet Confederate BA engine/fuel system has not shown any bad effects; then it is only a 28 HP inline 6 cylinder.
I do not use any additives, not a lead substitute or anything.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Gas has changed over the last fifty or so years in it's chemical makeup. Years ago I had now problem washing parts in regular gas and my hands never knew the differance. Today's gas scares me when I get some on my hands. That being said, over the years of repairing cars and motorcycles and some small engines, I have seen some awfully ugly things going on in rubber fuel lines and carburetors. The local parts store keeps me supplied in fuel lines that are made to handle the current concoction that's called gas. Be mindful of what it might do to a vintage carb. Good Luck, advice is cheap, that's why it's free.
jmo01830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

A reliable automotive Mag speaks to higher levels of alcohol in fuels.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-e15-15096134/
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

E10

Fuel called E10 contains 10% ethanol. Ethanol is bad for old engines as it damages the fuel line and seals over time but may not show up for several years. Seals swell and cause leaks. Newer engines have seals made of different materials that tolerate ethanol. The calorific value of ethanol is slightly lower than petrol so milage will be slightly less.
Keith H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Rick .Good article and better information than my description below. Thanks for the info.
Keith H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel