Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I had two fogged widows that I fixed myself. I mean de fogged them and resealed them. The cost was zero. If you are handy it can be done.
I just drilled two small holes in the spine between the glass on opposite sides and using my air compressor, blew out all the moisture and then blew in some inert gas from my MIG welder and sealed the whole perimeter with silicone sealer.
My next one is the door window. I hate to spend money if I can do it myself.
An Update for those inclined :
Today I just de fogged my door window. After removing it from the door I cut into the aluminum frame that encompases the glass about an inch in from the bottom corner to expose the glass edge. I then tooka small drill and opened up a 1/4 inch wide slot opening betweenn the two sheets of glass. I then inserted a small plastic tube into the slot and pumped in Argon gas and then sealed the open slot. Time, 3 hours, Cost $0.00.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:04 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

The window assemblies can be removed and each glass section can be replaced individually. If you're handy at all you can replace the glass yourself. Here's an article about replacing the window over the drivers door and the stationary section of the window on the passengers side.

http://www.rampknot.net/window_repai...ndowRepair.pdf

I just ordered the passengers side stationary glass from Atwood last week. It cost $150.00 plus shipping. The same window cost $331.00 from the dealer. It cost an additional $12.00 for the butyl tape to seal the outer frame when reinstalling the unit.
The Atwood (excel) phone mumber in the article is no longer valid. They now have an 800 number that goes to a receptionist (1-899-546-8759). She will connect you with the proper person. Be sure to have all the information about your motorhome ready so they can get the proper parts to you.

FYI: The company is out of Elkhart Indiana, and the person who deals with retail customers works from 5:30 AM to 2:30 PM. She's very knowledgable and easy to work with.

Good Luck
Old 11-04-2011, 06:16 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Getting Close...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
It cost $150.00 plus shipping. The same window cost $331.00 from the dealer. It cost an additional $12.00 for the butyl tape to seal the outer frame when reinstalling the unit...

Good Luck
I'm hearing that sometimes, for a little less than double the price of the pane, we can carry the window from the dealer, plug in a new unit...

I'm really wanting to fix this problem, somehow. It is a safety issue, when either of the front two side windows becomes fogged.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
I'm hearing that sometimes, for a little less than double the price of the pane, we can carry the window from the dealer, plug in a new unit...

I'm really wanting to fix this problem, somehow. It is a safety issue, when either of the front two side windows becomes fogged.
I checked out the price of a new complete passengers side window unit. I was quoted $2000.00 installed at the Winnebago factory in Forest City. The labor was 2hrs @ $100.00 per hr. That would make the window unit almost $1800.00. That's why I opted to replace the stationary glass myself.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE=Hikerdogs;1000788]The window assemblies can be removed and each glass section can be replaced individually. If you're handy at all you can replace the glass yourself. Here's an article about replacing the window over the drivers door and the stationary section of the window on the passengers side.

Thanks Hikerdogs.
That is a great web site for repairing fogged window. I opted to do the drill and dry out method. For him it didn't work, but I have had good success with another window I did..
For me, drilling between the two panes and then, using an air hose to blow out the moisture, I was able to get them dry. Then, using an inert gas to replace the air between the panes, before re sealing, is the thing that made it work for me.
The window that I just repaired was the exit door window which has a welded aluminum frame around the glass. I really didn't want to get into cutting the welds so I opted for simple. If it last a few years, great, I will redo it again when needed.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:12 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The window assemblies can be removed and each glass section can be replaced individually. If you're handy at all you can replace the glass yourself. Here's an article about replacing the window over the drivers door and the stationary section of the window on the passengers side.

I just ordered the passengers side stationary glass from Atwood last week. It cost $150.00 plus shipping. The same window cost $331.00 from the dealer. It cost an additional $12.00 for the butyl tape to seal the outer frame when reinstalling the unit.
The Atwood (excel) phone mumber in the article is no longer valid. They now have an 800 number that goes to a receptionist (1-899-546-8759). She will connect you with the proper person. Be sure to have all the information about your motorhome ready so they can get the proper parts to you.

FYI: The company is out of Elkhart Indiana, and the person who deals with retail customers works from 5:30 AM to 2:30 PM. She's very knowledgable and easy to work with.

Good Luck
the 899 number does not work...
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Supplies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I had two fogged widows that I fixed myself. I mean de fogged them and resealed them. The cost was zero. If you are handy it can be done.
I just drilled two small holes in the spine between the glass on opposite sides and using my air compressor, blew out all the moisture and then blew in some inert gas from my MIG welder and sealed the whole perimeter with silicone sealer.
My next one is the door window. I hate to spend money if I can do it myself.
If the windows trend into the 4-digit cost range, this option for those of us with shops looks better'n'better. Of course, some of us have more than just moisture, in the gap.

If the panes lost their seal due to old gasket mat'l, would it be quick separate the panes and put a new gasket in place? If so, where can you buy the stuff?

(THIS guy is accessing the gasket edge, penetrating it and washing the panes. That might be another option, albeit one that doesn't cure the broken seal that caused the problem in the first place.)
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:07 AM   #28

The windows come out pretty easily, and once they are out its not hard to separate the panes from the frames.

Most of them are made by Atwood and are standard sizes. They have a customer service number, which you can find on thier website, that will reach a lady I think her name might be Beverly? Barbara? Anyway she is a walking encyclopedia of RV windows.

Replacement panes are around $100 each. Then you just put it back together, pop it in, and screw the inside trim piece back on. A line of caulk around the top and front edge and you're done.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

My error I fat fingered the keys. The real number is 1-800-546-8759

Tags
seal