Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Double pane windows lost their seal.

HI ALL,
I have a 99 Adventurer and I have noticed a continuing annoyance. The stationary window on the driver's side in front of the roll up window on the driver's door is getting condensation between the panes. Also, my rear lower bedroom window also has the same problem. I think both have lost its seal or there is a caulking problem. Now it is all filmy inside and has condensation or water droplets usually every morning. I would think everyone has run into this problem sooner or later.

1 Is there a way to take the window out and get it repaired. I heard of putting alchohol between the panes and let it evaporate might remove the condensation.
2. Can I do it myself and where would I look to find instructions so I just don't have to strat disassembling from the inside out?
3 Do I need to just replace the window? t seems that might be knd of expensive.
4. If I caulk it to stop this annoyance, what might be the appropriate kind. The front caulk or window seal is black. Self leveling might be out of the question for obvious reasons.

Any insight, thoughts or references would be greatly appreciated and I do thank you in advance.
99Adven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am not sure where you are located but there are several window shops that will repair the windows at very reasonable costs. I have a 2002 Adventurer and just repaired the passenger window and the small driverside forward window. The passenger window had som sort of build up on the inside and it was very hazy.

I took it to Suncoast Designers at:
15050 Labor Place
Hudson, FL 34667
Phone: (727) 868 - 2773

They have an RV campground with 50A hookups. I drove in the night before my appointment and spent the night at the camsite (no charge for this!)
The next morning the guys came out and removed my windows and covered the openings. By the time I returned from lunch the windows were repaired (new glass) and newly sealed and were back in the RV. Total cost was around $400.
Great experience!
Good luck!
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefant View Post
I am not sure where you are located but there are several window shops that will repair the windows at very reasonable costs. I have a 2002 Adventurer and just repaired the passenger window and the small driverside forward window. The passenger window had som sort of build up on the inside and it was very hazy.

I took it to Suncoast Designers at:
15050 Labor Place
Hudson, FL 34667

They have an RV campground with 50A hookups. I drove in the night before my appointment and spent the night at the camsite (no charge for this!)
The next morning the guys came out and removed my windows and covered the openings. By the time I returned from lunch the windows were repaired (new glass) and newly sealed and were back in the RV. Total cost was around $400.
Great experience!
Good luck!

You got yourself a pretty good price. I had just the passenger window replaced on my 02 Adventurer due to getting foggy at the dealership in Iowa and it cost me $840.00.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Jeff,

Again, it wasn't a new or replacement window but they did put in new glass. The cost is less if they can clean and reuse your old glass. I took a factory tour and they have a great process for sealing the two sheets of glass. It is acually better than the original window.
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

• Also, I don't know where you are, but I had that problem and took my RV to LazyDays, in Tampa. They fixed four windows, for $500.00. That is, the windows in my slideouts on each side, consisting of one large frame on each slide, having two glass panes, in each frame. So, you may not be in Florida, but check around. Surely, LazyDays is not the only dealer that does this.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have to concur with jdefant, I had both driver and passenger windows done at Suncoast Designers and was very pleased with their work and price. The work was very professional and it only took one day. They have sites with electric so we just hungout and took their tour that day.

Suncoast Designers
15050 Labor Place
Hudson, FL 34667

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Another vote for Suncoast Designers.
Very easy to deal with. Call them and make arrangements to send the window to them if you can't get the coach there.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Double Pane windows lost their seal

Hi again

I'm in St Louis. I had taken the Rv to one of the dealers in St Louis and they wanted in to put in a new window for $500. I guess that's why it is still foggy. I'll check the other rv dealers and and call Suncoast. It can't hurt to consider all options. And then maybe it's time to take a little trip!!!

Thanks.

Dave
99Adven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I just had 10 windows done at RV Fog Dr. in Searcy Arkansas (just north of Little Rock).
The price was reasonable and the people are very friendly and they too have free hook ups while the work is being done.
If I had it to do all over again, They would get my business. My coach looks as though the windows are new again!!
Oldkarphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We had 4 windows replaced at RV Fog Dr earlier this summer. The only caveat I'll add is if your glass cannot be polished to remove the fog it must be replaced. If they don't have the glass in stock you may be stuck for up to a week waiting on replacement glass to come from Memphis. Or you can make the 240 mile roundtrip yourself and have the glass in a day or two.

We have a 2005 Itasca Meridian and we were stuck there for 4 days. We finally drove to Memphis to pick up the glass from the factory ourselves. The work was adequate, they did some minor damage to the interior dash cover. After 4 months the glass is still fog free.

Just wanted to let you know that you may not experience the one day turn around you may have been led to believe. We received no advance warning about the Memphis issue until after our glass was removed.
fputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Just returned from Suncoast designers today - Had 2 large windows and one smaller window done. 5 panes in all Only one window in each frame was clouded, but they cleaned polished and resealed all the panes. New glass for one, from their stock. Total cost $500 plus sales tax. Great business to do business with
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

This company does the window repair and also sells DIY repair kits

Dave Root Glass Repair
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #13

Hey Frank, I think I was there when you went to Memphis. Was it Tornado season? I had two windows done in my Essex. $400 plus tax 3 hrs.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Perry, could be. We arrived June 5th and finally left on the 9th, 2011.
fputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

i just bought the dave root diy kit and did both of my front windows . Needless to say it took some work to do but cost a third of the price i was quoted from dave himself.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Does Suncoast Designers fix door windows also?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAZ View Post
Does Suncoast Designers fix door windows also?
Yes, they do. They did mine about 4 years ago.........excellent work.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

This Suncoast dealer sounds great. So far in Minneapolis MN they talk about $5-600 for one small window. The one to the rear of the Journey enterance door. This window is important for safe side visibility, so I just "Busted" out the inner pane. I know, "Crude" but it got the job done at no cost.

Right now we have only one fogged window and that's in the bedroom awning crank-out. That just adds privacy. If any more develope, Suncoast here we come.

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine tree View Post
This Suncoast dealer sounds great. So far in Minneapolis MN they talk about $5-600 for one small window. The one to the rear of the Journey enterance door. This window is important for safe side visibility, so I just "Busted" out the inner pane. I know, "Crude" but it got the job done at no cost.

Right now we have only one fogged window and that's in the bedroom awning crank-out. That just adds privacy. If any more develope, Suncoast here we come.

Pine Tree
I had two fogged widows that I fixed myself. I mean de fogged them and resealed them. The cost was zero. If you are handy it can be done.
I just drilled two small holes in the spine between the glass on opposite sides and using my air compressor, blew out all the moisture and then blew in some inert gas from my MIG welder and sealed the whole perimeter with silicone sealer.
My next one is the door window. I hate to spend money if I can do it myself.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Did the Dave root kit really work and was it as easy as he said it is
wlsjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal