Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winterize 2021 Minnie 2801BHS?

Can anyone tell me where the WATER HEATER BYPASS valves are on the Winnebago MINNIE 2801BHS Travel Trailer? No water system diagram in the owners manual, nor is it available from the Winnebago’s online site.

I’m winterizing my trailer for the first time and the owners manual gives winterization directions based on whether your trailer has a WATER HEATER BYPASS or NOT. It gives a picture of the water bypass valves but does NOT say or show where the valves are located. It also DOESN’T say whether the trailer has a bypass or NOT!!

Thanks
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

They are often right behind the water heater itself. I don’t know about your specific trailer, but you might check there.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
Site Team

This may or may not help. It is a Youtube video of winterizing the 2100BH. So, it's not a 2801 BHS but i posted this just in case the location of these things is similar as on your model:

Old 12-12-2021, 05:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You’ve probably already checked this, but looking at your floor plan, the only likely place for the water heater is street-side under the bathroom sink. On many WBGO trailers the access to the bypass valves is hidden behind the a luan panel. If there’s a luan panel under your bathroom sink, remove the four small screws, pull out the luan panel and you’ll likely see the wh valves there.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
They are often right behind the water heater itself. I don’t know about your specific trailer, but you might check there.
I’m going to check in the closet or under the sink. There is a picture of the hot water tank but no description of where it is in the trailer! No info on where the hot water cutoff valves are located ANYWHERE in the operations manual. Furthermore WINNEBAGO.com has NO plumbing schematics for any of the Minnie travel trailer series for 2021.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

There’s a wh access panel on the outside to use the drain plug and pressure relief valve. Wherever that is, the inside access will be right behind it.

And thanks for your low and slow with the GAU. Us guys on the ground really appreciated you.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You can request schematics/drawings by contacting Winnebago Towables by phone. They will email them to you.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #8
Site Team

Finding the water heater on a TT is easy... look for the water heater door on the outside of the TT. The water heater is directly behind the door. Looking at photos of the 2801 BHS the outside of the water heater door is just below your kitchen window. So, the best guess is that the water heater is under the kitchen sink.

THEORETICALLY, your seller/dealership went over all of this with you during your PDI. Showing you not only where all the plumbing was but what you need to know to winterize the RV.

Here's a photo of a 2021 2801 BHS and I've circled the water heater and, just as an fyi, the furnace, too. You'll find both things inside the RV directly behind those doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-Shot-2021-12-13-at-10.27.06-AM.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	181469  
Old 12-13-2021, 09:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Bypass valve

You should find it inside the cupboard right below the sink. As mentioned before there will be a luan wood panel protecting it. Before you move the valve be sure it is labeled winter or summer somehow as you have to have in correct position when you start needing hot water again. Good luck, Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Further Winterization Questions - Minnie Trailer 2801BHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Finding the water heater on a TT is easy... look for the water heater door on the outside of the TT. The water heater is directly behind the door. Looking at photos of the 2801 BHS the outside of the water heater door is just below your kitchen window. So, the best guess is that the water heater is under the kitchen sink.

THEORETICALLY, your seller/dealership went over all of this with you during your PDI. Showing you not only where all the plumbing was but what you need to know to winterize the RV.

Here's a photo of a 2021 2801 BHS and I've circled the water heater and, just as an fyi, the furnace, too. You'll find both things inside the RV directly behind those doors.
Thank you, this is my first attempt to do this. I found the hot water tank under the sink, the water pump under some drawers and of course the hot water panel on the outside. I also called the Winnebago rep to get all the diagrams and schematics for my Minnie trailer. Unfortunately, they did not have a diagram nor pictures of where all the valves are located or how to access them. I have included a picture of what I can see with the hot water tank and two valves. What is confusing is that there is NO CROSSOVER VALVE between the bypass valves - as is shown in the operations manual picture) There are two winterization procedures depending on having the bypass valves AND the crossover. I'm just trying to figure out which procedure to perform. Thanks again, if there is anyone else out there who has done this themselves!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warthog print 1 Large.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	181470  
Old 12-14-2021, 01:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
This may or may not help. It is a Youtube video of winterizing the 2100BH. So, it's not a 2801 BHS but i posted this just in case the location of these things is similar as on your model:

Thank you for posting that YouTube video. I checked every YouTube video before I posted on this forum, as well as tring to get a video from Winnebago themselves. This guy's video is very good but his equipment doesn't match mine, nor are the locations the same. Winnebago has no winterization videos on my model (the Minnie) and I could only access their diagrams / schematics by calling Winnebago to get them. These didn't help either accept to show the general location of the large equipment (hot water tank, water pump, etc). I appreciate your help thoguh!
Old 12-14-2021, 07:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

There are two different methods people use to winterize. One is the anti-freeze (pink) method, and the other is the compressed air method (which still involves the use of a small amount of anti-freeze). Many, like me prefer the compressed air method, because you don’t have to deal with purging the fresh water tank multiple times to remove the taste of the anti-freeze.

With the anti-freeze method, you first open low point drains then open the valve for the fresh water pump pickup hose and pump pink through your lines.

For the compressed air method, you’ll need an air compressor; a tire inflator will do, and a compressed air fitting for the city water intake. It’s much easier to do the job with two people. One person on the inside to open and close valves. The other on the outside to turn the air compressor on and off. Set the compressor to 40psi.

Open the fresh water tank drain valve. While it’s draining, open the low point valves. To find them, look under the trailer and locate the red and blue drain tubes. The valves will be directly above them on the inside. When the fresh tank is dry run the water pump until it is dry. Now, open the access door on the outside of the water heater and unscrew the plug in the water heater drain. Then, on the inside set the wh valves to the bypass position. Now you’re ready to pump air. Starting with the faucet valves furthest away from your low point drains, open one valve at a time and blow air through it. Do a separate blow for both hot and cold water faucets. You should see water come out from either the faucet, or the low point drain. When that stops, go on to the next one. Don’t forget to blow air through your toilet valve while it’s open. This is the most likely place for a freeze. If you’re doing this with one person, just put something heavy on the toilet valve pedal to hold it open. The final step is to pour about 2 cups of pink into each of your P-traps (kitchen and bathroom sinks, and shower. I also unscrew the shower head feed hose from its valve and lay the shower head on the shower floor with the shower head valve open.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Bypass valves

I see the valves in your photo. If you turn the valves attached to the white hose that is shown water will not enter water heater but circulate through the white hose thus your bypass is complete. As I mentioned before make sure you put back valves in correct position when it’s time to make hot water to enter your system. If you haven’t turned them yet they are in the hot water use position. Best to mark their position with a marks a lot pen. Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I finally called Winnebago to get help. First of all, if you call them there are TWO LEVELS of response. The first level is a generic person (I think overseas) that gives you vague (and in this case, incorrect answers). She was able to send me the 5-6 systems diagrams that were NOT available on the Winnebago website. Unfortunately, they have no plumbing diagrams or pictures or systems drawings that showed the water system valve locations. Then I got transferred to the SECOND LEVEL, which was an actual Winnebago technician, who knew the systems intimately. He had the answers!

First, the technician told me that the 2021 Ops Manual for the MINNIE trailers for the WINTERIZATION process was being re-written. It is currently incorrect. Second, we discussed the pictures used in the 2021 Ops Manual for the winterization process. BOTH of their pictures are also incorrect in my manual and reflect older water systems, not what I have in my trailer. We went step by step thru the Winterization checklist and I changed it to what it needs to be. From there I was able to winterize my trailer with about 2.5 gall of camper antifreeze.

I appreciate everyone at this forum who wrote to help me. It really helped me do this important process. I’m kind of disappointed with Winnebago for two things:

1. No systems diagrams for the Minnie trailer on their website, when they have them available for the asking. Nor are they in the generic Minnie ops manual. They have NOTHING for the Minnie campers in any year or any plumbing/electric system on their website.

2. Publishing a generic winterization checklist for a new Minnie camper with the wrong pictures and incorrect/misleading checklist steps - which does not reflect a product they are selling currently.

I guess Winnebago considers the Minnie trailer customers to be at the bottom rung of their customer base compared to their much more expensive Class A and B vehicles. Understood. Still, when you pay $46,000 for a new product, you expect the directions / manuals to be accurate and updated. I can afford the bigger and better campers but wanted to start out at the lower end. Why would I buy a bigger and more expensive Winnebago if this is what I get at the lower level?

Just a thought if anyone at Winnebago if they read this rant.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Glad you got it figured out. The Towables division feels very much like a separate company from the motorized division. Luckily, the trailers are pretty simple so you can tackle most things just by reasoning your way through. The Micro Minnie water system is incredibly simple and nearly all the supply piping is above the floor. That means you can see nearly everything by opening drawers, cabinets, and panels. I prefer that over the mess of sub-floor piping in my previous fifth-wheel.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

You’re Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
Glad you got it figured out. The Towables division feels very much like a separate company from the motorized division. Luckily, the trailers are pretty simple so you can tackle most things just by reasoning your way through. The Micro Minnie water system is incredibly simple and nearly all the supply piping is above the floor. That means you can see nearly everything by opening drawers, cabinets, and panels. I prefer that over the mess of sub-floor piping in my previous fifth-wheel.
You’re Right - it was fairly simple AFTER I was able to determine:

1. Which procedure to do (their are two in a be manual). I wasted 20 minutes talking to the first level of Winnebago service trying to find out which procedure to do. She told me wrong. Technician corrected me to the right one.

2. Eliminating all the steps in the current Operations Manual that didn’t apply. Then combined two steps into one because I don’t have valves described in the manual.

3. I confirmed that the two pictures they showed were from older models and that I wasn’t just looking in the wrong places in my rig.

4. Finally, I was able to confirm that the winterization hose which is BLACK in the Minnie Winnie trailer (I saw the YouTube winterization video by a Minnie Winnie owner) is blue in my trailer.

Basically when you are looking at winterization steps and for valves (with no description of where they are anywhere in the Ops Manual or Pictures or their Systems diagrams) that don’t exist you question if you are doing it right. Pictures wrong, two different procedures, incorrect steps with the correct procedure = ranting on a Winnebago owners site! Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:53 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I am also frustrated with WNBGO lack of info on winterizing my 2020 towable Voyage. Owner’s manual does not have accurate pics of my model and I still can’t find the low water drain shut offs. I did find the Chadwick Family You Tube video on Micro Mini 2100BH VERY INFORMATIVE, even though not my model. I was floored to discover the breaker switch/fuse block panel had to be pulled out (mine is under stove) to access siphon hose and valves. What a horrible design! The 2100BH video just showed a wood panel with easy access.
Khas2rv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter