Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Texas Law

Everybody's information. In the state of Texas if you have a Winnebago product an authorized dealer in this state does not necessarily work on your RV product. If it is an Itasca the Texas law says they can not do warrant work on the produce if they have a Winnebago dealer ship. If you want to have warranty work done you will need to locate a dual dealer that sales Winnebago and Itasca products.
I did not call my Texas lawyers to confirm this. But I got the information from Winnebago as well as from the local dealership. I will confirm the information.
This does not mean you should not buy the product. Winnebago has resolved my warranty problems and my coach will soon be as good as new.
As always my experience with Winnebago services is GREAT. The last call they answered on the 3 ring. Lessoned to my problems an came up with a solution that worked great for me. It also saved the necessity of driving 270 miles one way to get work done.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would really doubt that it's a Texas law! I would bet it's a part of the Franchise contract.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Doesn't make sense. If so then if you own a GMC Sierra truck you can't have a Chevy dealer work on it. Lincoln and Ford, Dodge and Chrysler and so on.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

When my Itasca was under the twelve month warranty I called a Winnebago dealer to inquire about getting some work done. I was told that the Winnebago dealer could not do warranty work on an Itasca product. I do not remember the justification but thought I was told it was because of their franchise agreement with Winnebago.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:57 AM   #5
JBP
Winnie-Wise

It maybe how Texas law is in relationship to franchises.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
why would the state of Texas be concerned about any rv warranty work?
Old 11-27-2015, 05:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

all I got to say is REALLY!
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Guess it could have something to do with Winnebago & the dealer relationship. I'd say Texas at the state could care less.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:06 AM   #9
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Ernie I agree. It came up when my new Itasca had some minor warranty work. I just move to Southern Texas. I call the local Winnebago dealer to set an appointment. The service manager ask about the work, where I had bought the coach and the model. When I said Itasca Cambria he informed me that they did not work on Itasca. I told him it was identical to the Winnebago Aspect but with different colors. He said that Texas law stated that he did not have to work on that brand.
I am just passing information. In six months it will be out of warranty and I will have a shop in town work on it.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

service manager should be fired
I have worked on both brands- they both have the steel floor where captains chairs are located
Old 11-27-2015, 06:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I feel bad for all you orphaned Itasca owners in Texas. Since Winnebago dropped the Itasca line, where will you get warranty work performed?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I feel bad for all you orphaned Itasca owners in Texas. Since Winnebago dropped the Itasca line, where will you get warranty work performed?

In the long run it makes no difference, the last place I would take my coach for service is to an RV dealer...
j.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I work on my coach myself. I don't do the oil or grease but there are lots of places that do. Easier to write a check than get all greasy. Your mileage will be better than mine~
Old 11-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The only way an Itasca owner would driving an "orphan" would be if Winnebago goes under.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Many times I have had a business tell me "It is the law" and for 25 years The Law was in fact,,, On the shelf in the next office, where I had full access to it.. Only what was on the shelf was the REAL law..

Many times I determined the business was.. Well.. Blowing smoke as they say.. It was not The Law at all. it was "We don't want to do it" so they simply made up a law.

You do not know, till you start reading the books ro ask the proper attorney.. Now you already have an attorney or two or three on retainer for this kind of thing.
City attorney (or county)
Attorney General State of ____
Attorney General of US

in this case you ask the "State of Texas" AG's office,, A staffer will tell you if there is such a law. Or not.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Any dealer that follows the rule being discussed in this thread is leaving service department work and income on the table, as the two coaches are designed by the same engineers, built in the same factory, by the same people, with the same parts, on the same assembly line. The only difference is now that they have different interior appearance and full paint choices on the same size coaches on the two brands. In fact at least for 2015 and 2016 the Winnebago suggested MSRPs are identical, too. Not sure why any dealer in their right mind would not carry both model lines so they can order a specific coach a customer wants, even if they choose not to keep both brands of the same model coach in stock.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Somebody on here is either an goofus or gullible or very lazy in vetting and verifying.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Since Winnebago dropped the Itasca line, where will you get warranty work performed?
When did that happen?

Anyway, I have never taking my RV to an RV dealer for work, but of course I have not needed to do warranty work.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
When did that happen?

work.
It is a fact. If you go to their website you will not find the Itasca name anywhere.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
It is a fact. If you go to their website you will not find the Itasca name anywhere.
A week ago, I went to LaMesa RV in Ft Pierce, FL and had to show them they had a 2016 Itasca Sunova 30T parked right next to a Winnebago Sunova 30T. They had no idea what they had in inventory or that Winnebago dropped the Itasca line!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas