Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
RV Insurance

Review your RV insurance policy. I was backing in to an RV campsite and rubbed my awning on a tree limb. I called my insurance company, Progressive Insurance, and they covered the cost of repair less my deductible. Jump ahead 6 months and my renewal notice came in the mail. The premium doubled. I inquired why the price raise? I was informed I had a collision accident. Collision? Yes, a collision claim a not comprehensive claim, and therefore it is on my driving record and I am a higher risk!!! The accident was not a traffic violation nor any police report but since I was behind the wheel driving (backing up) it is an accident. I could have lied and said a tree fell on the awning and my comprehensive would have covered the full cost and I would not have had to pay the the deductible. My insurance company is no longer Progressive Insurance.
steve258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 351
Steve,

Respectfully, I believe the result would have probably been the same with any insurance company. I had my motorhome burglarized about two years ago and Progressive Insurance went out of their way to make things right. Don't get me wrong, it was not a pleasant experience, but they did everything possible to make things right. When I had to renew, my rate did go up about two hundred bucks, but it did not double.
__________________
John Rossi
2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 263
I am with progressive reluctantly. They dropped me years ago after an accident in my car. For my RV, State Farm doesn’t offer replacement value. Only cash value. Progressives does. I need to shop around.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 3
We were with Progressive for home, 2 cars and our RV insurance since 2015. Recently I had to pay my dues again and they quoted me $700 more for RV insurance! We did not have claims or anything else that would reason the price hike. Asked why they told me that is the current premium.
Bye Bye we moved to State Farm with all our insurances! As far as I know we have the RV insured for replacement value but I have to double check that.
__________________
Klaas (Retired 9/1/2016) & Eileen (+dog Bailey)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD
DutchEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 103
I have Hartford and they have treated me well on 2 claims. On my last claim to have my RV towed ($1,000 for 25 miles) and Hartford even reimbursed me for a field service call ($350) despite the fact the mobile mechanic could not fix my RV. That was a pleasant surprise!
My premium for a $85K "Stated Value Policy" costs me $750 in the State of Montana and I have a $500 deductible on both Collision & Comp. Note: I don't think you want to go with any policy that only reimburses you for "replacement value," because that price can swing $20K-$40K depending on who ever is appraising your RV... after a total loss. My advise is to do some web surfing and save all the higher priced RVs in your class so you can PROVE the value when you need to. Then make sure you keep your repair receipts in good order... and then "state the value" of your RV on the upper end. BUT KNOW THIS: The insurance agency probably uses the concept of a "Stated Value Policy" as the maximum they will pay. So don't think they will pay the stated amount in the event of a total loss. You still need to prove the RV current market value; and if you have no records or can't make a credible argument, then you may not like the outcome.
Notes: Ask about how they handle windshield rock chip repairs and full replacement? And be sure to include towing and roadside assistance! (I also have found Good Sam Towing to be problematic... One time I was off the paved road and they said they would not cover the tow since I was not on a named street. Fortunately, I had Hartford Towing and after that I dropped Good Sam Towing.
__________________
2004 Itasca Horizon ISK-40AD, 350HP Cummins 8.3L
75K miles and the best of 3 Diesels I have owned thus far!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
thompwil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Posts: 138
I used to have Geico that covered replacement cost instead of cash value. Can’t remember the cost but it wasn’t bad. They also offered coverage similar to homeowners while camping, liability, contents, etc.

I answered an ad from my credit union for Liberty Mutual and was told they would cover replacement cost, so I switched for a lower rate. I get the final declaration pages to discover its cash value (blue book), not replacement cost. I lodged a formal complaint to have it corrected and was totally ignored. Fortunately we traded the 5er shortly thereafter and discontinued coverage.

When we bought the Winnie, I switched to National General through Good Sam and have coverage to replace the unit with a new one as long as the covered unit is under five years of age (clearly stated in policy). Cost of coverage was just about the same, maybe a hundred bucks a year more than LM. Policy includes first accident forgiveness, decreasing deductibles, and other features that cover incidents in campgrounds similar to homeowners insurance, liability, contents, etc. Thankfully I’ve never submitted a claim in decades, so I can’t comment on the level of service for any of them.
__________________
2018 Sunstar 32YE
2 dogs, Max & Bitty
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Okierambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchEagle View Post
We were with Progressive for home, 2 cars and our RV insurance since 2015. Recently I had to pay my dues again and they quoted me $700 more for RV insurance! We did not have claims or anything else that would reason the price hike. Asked why they told me that is the current premium.
Bye Bye we moved to State Farm with all our insurances! As far as I know we have the RV insured for replacement value but I have to double check that.
I just found out my National General insurance went up $500.00 and I have never filed a claim.
Okierambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Steve,

Respectfully, I believe the result would have probably been the same with any insurance company. I had my motorhome burglarized about two years ago and Progressive Insurance went out of their way to make things right. Don't get me wrong, it was not a pleasant experience, but they did everything possible to make things right. When I had to renew, my rate did go up about two hundred bucks, but it did not double.
+1 to what Rossi6998 said. I had my RV insurance with USAA. After scraping a tree limb in a camp ground they paid my claim but my rates increased. If it is your fault I guess you eventually pay for it. I switched ot National General but I doubt if it is any different then the others.
rogerddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
legolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerddd View Post
+1 to what Rossi6998 said. I had my RV insurance with USAA. After scraping a tree limb in a camp ground they paid my claim but my rates increased. If it is your fault I guess you eventually pay for it. I switched ot National General but I doubt if it is any different then the others.
I have had USAA since my days in OCS. However, I just bought a Motorhome and USAA proper does not insure motorhomes.....they farm you out to - I believe a company called Foremost. My wife, a retired State Farm employee handles all that stuff. She got a quote from Foremost and one from National General......Foremost is about $500 higher. Now for you USAA folks.....we have an Umbrella policy with USAA and only by chance found out that if we didn' insure the MH thru Foremost USAA would cancel the Umbrella...so I am going to hold my nose and switch to Foremost....this is my first dissapointment with USAA since 1967 !
legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 4
I’m a newcomer thinking of upgrading to a View with the Mercedes base. Can anyone tell me what they are paying for full coverage? I’m in Michigan so the states will surely vary but I’m just looking for a ballpark figure. Thanks!
Papatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
I’m also with USAA for home and auto. I also have a umbrella liability with them. The RV and one car is with GEICO. They fuss about the vehicles being with another insurer, but have not cancelled the policy. Ask them to show you where in the policy it requires you to have all vehicles with them......it doesn’t.

David
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St Louis , Mo.
Posts: 45
I have a 2011 view profile lives in Missouri. My insurance is Farmers and pay around $1,100/ yr for $500 deductibles.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas View Post
I have had USAA since my days in OCS. However, I just bought a Motorhome and USAA proper does not insure motorhomes.....they farm you out to - I believe a company called Foremost. My wife, a retired State Farm employee handles all that stuff. She got a quote from Foremost and one from National General......Foremost is about $500 higher. Now for you USAA folks.....we have an Umbrella policy with USAA and only by chance found out that if we didn' insure the MH thru Foremost USAA would cancel the Umbrella...so I am going to hold my nose and switch to Foremost....this is my first dissapointment with USAA since 1967 !
When I insured my motorhome via USAA in 11/18, they put me through to Progressive, not Foremost. It might be worth checking with USAA again.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 271
We use NC Farm Bureau for our insurance. I switched from USAA a number of years back after high rate increases with no claims and lower than normal claims for my area. NCFB covers the trailer with a replacement cost policy and while we haven't had a claim with it they handled my wife's automobile collision with a deer well. Since it was only our vehicle there was no rate increase and everything was paid promptly without arguments about parts and repair requirements.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
When I insured my motorhome via USAA in 11/18, they put me through to Progressive, not Foremost. It might be worth checking with USAA again.
Oops, 11/17.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,427
I can understand why an insurance company might raise rates for something like scrapping a tree (clearly operator error), but I would hope they wouldn't do the same for a tree limb falling on your rig. I would think that is why old_engineer's wife hitting a deer didn't result in a rate increase.

I suspect that insurance companies experience a higher rate of operator error claims on RVs than they do on other vehicles. Let's face it, the average RV operator is less experienced at driving or towing their RV than they are driving their car. I wouldn't be surprised if insurance companies treated such claims differently.

The difficulty with comparing insurance companies based on anecdotal information is that most of us only know what our experience has been with our insurance company. A seemingly bad experience with company A causes us to change to company B. We're happy with company B but haven't had any claims yet, etc.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #17
PIC
Winnebago Owner
 
PIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: S W FL
Posts: 50
Settling on our Micro Minnie 2106 RBS Monday. Now I'm looking into the extras; surge protection, water filter, etc. First question to all is what about the extended warranty protection. I'm being show a PreseRV Elite. $100 deductible per visit. 5 year protection. for $1,300. Sounds fair but haven't seen the small print yet.
Anyone familiar with this one . PAT
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner
 
maryinreddin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 51
We have National General too. We made a claim for a baggage door that had to be replaced after we swiped a big heavy picnic table in a KOA. No damage to the table but a nice crease in the baggage door. You cannot fix those doors. They are made out of aluminum so they must be replaced. Winnebago had to make the door for us and then the repair shop had to paint it. Our ins doesn't renew until Oct and I'm sure we will get a big increase. I am thinking of looking at the ins that FMCA offers. Does anyone know anything about that insurance?
__________________
Mary & Pat
2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
2013 Ford C-Max Energi
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #19
Winnebago Master
 
SarahW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC View Post
Settling on our Micro Minnie 2106 RBS Monday. Now I'm looking into the extras; surge protection, water filter, etc. First question to all is what about the extended warranty protection. I'm being show a PreseRV Elite. $100 deductible per visit. 5 year protection. for $1,300. Sounds fair but haven't seen the small print yet.
Anyone familiar with this one . PAT

You should probably start a separate thread about extended warranties, or search the forum for existing discussions. A warranty is a different animal than insurance coverage for collision/comprehensive/liability. (And sorry but I have no experience with extended warranties, and if your RV is brand new you have time to consider them before your factory warranty expires.)
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #20
Winnebago Master
 
SarahW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinreddin View Post
We have National General too. We made a claim for a baggage door that had to be replaced after we swiped a big heavy picnic table in a KOA. No damage to the table but a nice crease in the baggage door. You cannot fix those doors. They are made out of aluminum so they must be replaced. Winnebago had to make the door for us and then the repair shop had to paint it. Our ins doesn't renew until Oct and I'm sure we will get a big increase. I am thinking of looking at the ins that FMCA offers. Does anyone know anything about that insurance?

Mary, I'm not familiar with FMCA insurance but I would be interested in knowing if anyone has the particulars about it. We have had Allstate for the past 6 years since they also insure our home and autos. Slowly all of those premiums are creeping up... especially our homeowner's policy since the stupid hurricane last year.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WIT RV insurance Jcous Winnebago General Discussions 8 05-15-2008 06:54 AM
Coach-Net insurance Gary the Wombat Winnebago General Discussions 10 01-12-2007 09:36 AM
Insurance quotes surprising! smlranger Winnebago General Discussions 8 06-03-2005 03:35 PM
RV Insurance WinnieBunnie Winnebago General Discussions 10 05-25-2005 02:59 PM
breakdown insurance FrankieJ Winnebago General Discussions 18 03-11-2005 04:37 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×