Old 09-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV Insurance

Review your RV insurance policy. I was backing in to an RV campsite and rubbed my awning on a tree limb. I called my insurance company, Progressive Insurance, and they covered the cost of repair less my deductible. Jump ahead 6 months and my renewal notice came in the mail. The premium doubled. I inquired why the price raise? I was informed I had a collision accident. Collision? Yes, a collision claim a not comprehensive claim, and therefore it is on my driving record and I am a higher risk!!! The accident was not a traffic violation nor any police report but since I was behind the wheel driving (backing up) it is an accident. I could have lied and said a tree fell on the awning and my comprehensive would have covered the full cost and I would not have had to pay the the deductible. My insurance company is no longer Progressive Insurance.
steve258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Steve,

Respectfully, I believe the result would have probably been the same with any insurance company. I had my motorhome burglarized about two years ago and Progressive Insurance went out of their way to make things right. Don't get me wrong, it was not a pleasant experience, but they did everything possible to make things right. When I had to renew, my rate did go up about two hundred bucks, but it did not double.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I am with progressive reluctantly. They dropped me years ago after an accident in my car. For my RV, State Farm doesn’t offer replacement value. Only cash value. Progressives does. I need to shop around.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

We were with Progressive for home, 2 cars and our RV insurance since 2015. Recently I had to pay my dues again and they quoted me $700 more for RV insurance! We did not have claims or anything else that would reason the price hike. Asked why they told me that is the current premium.
Bye Bye we moved to State Farm with all our insurances! As far as I know we have the RV insured for replacement value but I have to double check that.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have Hartford and they have treated me well on 2 claims. On my last claim to have my RV towed ($1,000 for 25 miles) and Hartford even reimbursed me for a field service call ($350) despite the fact the mobile mechanic could not fix my RV. That was a pleasant surprise!
My premium for a $85K "Stated Value Policy" costs me $750 in the State of Montana and I have a $500 deductible on both Collision & Comp. Note: I don't think you want to go with any policy that only reimburses you for "replacement value," because that price can swing $20K-$40K depending on who ever is appraising your RV... after a total loss. My advise is to do some web surfing and save all the higher priced RVs in your class so you can PROVE the value when you need to. Then make sure you keep your repair receipts in good order... and then "state the value" of your RV on the upper end. BUT KNOW THIS: The insurance agency probably uses the concept of a "Stated Value Policy" as the maximum they will pay. So don't think they will pay the stated amount in the event of a total loss. You still need to prove the RV current market value; and if you have no records or can't make a credible argument, then you may not like the outcome.
Notes: Ask about how they handle windshield rock chip repairs and full replacement? And be sure to include towing and roadside assistance! (I also have found Good Sam Towing to be problematic... One time I was off the paved road and they said they would not cover the tow since I was not on a named street. Fortunately, I had Hartford Towing and after that I dropped Good Sam Towing.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I used to have Geico that covered replacement cost instead of cash value. Can’t remember the cost but it wasn’t bad. They also offered coverage similar to homeowners while camping, liability, contents, etc.

I answered an ad from my credit union for Liberty Mutual and was told they would cover replacement cost, so I switched for a lower rate. I get the final declaration pages to discover its cash value (blue book), not replacement cost. I lodged a formal complaint to have it corrected and was totally ignored. Fortunately we traded the 5er shortly thereafter and discontinued coverage.

When we bought the Winnie, I switched to National General through Good Sam and have coverage to replace the unit with a new one as long as the covered unit is under five years of age (clearly stated in policy). Cost of coverage was just about the same, maybe a hundred bucks a year more than LM. Policy includes first accident forgiveness, decreasing deductibles, and other features that cover incidents in campgrounds similar to homeowners insurance, liability, contents, etc. Thankfully I’ve never submitted a claim in decades, so I can’t comment on the level of service for any of them.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchEagle View Post
We were with Progressive for home, 2 cars and our RV insurance since 2015. Recently I had to pay my dues again and they quoted me $700 more for RV insurance! We did not have claims or anything else that would reason the price hike. Asked why they told me that is the current premium.
Bye Bye we moved to State Farm with all our insurances! As far as I know we have the RV insured for replacement value but I have to double check that.
I just found out my National General insurance went up $500.00 and I have never filed a claim.
Okierambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Steve,

Respectfully, I believe the result would have probably been the same with any insurance company. I had my motorhome burglarized about two years ago and Progressive Insurance went out of their way to make things right. Don't get me wrong, it was not a pleasant experience, but they did everything possible to make things right. When I had to renew, my rate did go up about two hundred bucks, but it did not double.
+1 to what Rossi6998 said. I had my RV insurance with USAA. After scraping a tree limb in a camp ground they paid my claim but my rates increased. If it is your fault I guess you eventually pay for it. I switched ot National General but I doubt if it is any different then the others.
rogerddd is offline   Reply With Quote