Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2018, 05:46 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I think that an RV is one of the best 'emergency' vehicles a family can own. When a Hurricane is on the way, it's ready and willing. We maintain our Motorhome in a ready position - We keep it full of non-perishable foods and all of the clothes we need. Now, don't get me wrong - we are not fanatics - we just like to take off when the mood hits us so we keep it ready. BUT - it's also ready for whatever. I am a Retired Trooper in Florida and have dealt with many storms - Andrew being the worst. - anyway, we're ready. - See you on the road.
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #22
Winnebago owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardroad View Post
I think that an RV is one of the best 'emergency' vehicles a family can own. When a Hurricane is on the way, it's ready and willing. We maintain our Motorhome in a ready position - We keep it full of non-perishable foods and all of the clothes we need. Now, don't get me wrong - we are not fanatics - we just like to take off when the mood hits us so we keep it ready. BUT - it's also ready for whatever. I am a Retired Trooper in Florida and have dealt with many storms - Andrew being the worst. - anyway, we're ready. - See you on the road.
Also I am a military (in service) and I bought my RV from a retired military.

On the road, however, it will be difficult to see why I move in Europe ... unless someone decides to build the mythical transatlantic tunnel that Nat Geo TV talks about.
F702119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up Been there!

Living in Florida and Volunteer First Responder, I can tell you is best to keep a full tank and full pantry during storm season. The rule is, winds over 40 mph, all agencies shut down and will not respond so, evacuate but return to help.
We have evacuated a few times, with plenty of time not to get caught in evacuating heavy traffic. Last year during Irma, we transfered the food and drining water from the pantry to the coach and headed north, nightly checking the radar's cone of probability and continue traveling NW, we finally ended up in Missisippi and from there, we returned.
Food and water can be heavy items to transport, but as you travel away from the storm you can re-stock at Walmart. Now comming back is a diferent story, you are not alone and store shelves will be empty and fuel and drinking water will be in short supply. My tow hevicle is a Jeep Wrangler, prepared for Search & Rescue with two additional 5GL gas tanks on the back, all full. My Journey's fuel tank was kept top off whenever it dropped to 3/4 tank, and the closer we got home the more dificult it was to find diesel.
Once home, we lived in the Journey for 18 days parked on our front yard waiting for electric to come back, meanwhile I was deploying daily to help our community.
Be prepared, dont wait, keep your cool, take plenty of cash and a weapon. As I said, be prepared for the worse and pray for the best!
ps. If you can, take a chainsaw along with you, there may be trees down blocking your path.