Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing shower taps with single lever

Has anyone replaced the shower taps with a single lever one in their MH. We just bought a 2011 Sightseer 31E and would like to replace the shower taps so to have automatic control of the tempature. Would you know if there is enough room behind the existing taps to install the single lever control valve. Also where would such a control valve bee purchased?
Thanks, Moe
moejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The valve body should fit with no problem. I installed a Delta and I saw at Lowe's the other day, they now sell a plate that will cover the two holes that your valve now has.

I was able to do all my work from the front. Don't know about yours. Just be sure to secure the nuts on the tubing so they can't slide down the tubing. Cannot get them back in most cases. You may have to change some fittings, I would suggest Sharkbite fittings, real easy to work with and made for pex tubing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I am interested in doing the same thing on our Destination - just haven't gotten a roundtoit. Curious to know if there is a mixing valve behind the double handle control.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey53usa View Post
I am interested in doing the same thing on our Destination - just haven't gotten a roundtoit. Curious to know if there is a mixing valve behind the double handle control.
By virtue of having the two handles there is no mixing valve perse. The valves actuated by the handles control the flow (volume) of water therefore the temperature of the water. The single valve controller has a mixing valve and is a bit more complex than a two valve faucet. Single valve controls are also pressure balanced, which means, that when a toilet is flushed the balancing valve automatically and quickly adjust the temperature of the shower water so the bather doesn't get scalded. This type of shower valve is now, and has been for many years, part of the building code for S&B.

The size of the valve body, that part fits inside the wall, may be larger than the space available in a MOHO wall. Clearly this depends on the MOHO. You should check this out before you begin retrofitting.

If you can and do replace the two valve(Handle) shower control there is a "renovation plate" which would go on before the final trim ring of the new single valve controller. This plate covers the two holes left behind in the wall after making the change over. This may or may not be required depending on the type, or size, of the controller being replaced.

Sharkbites are a good idea but expensive. That being said they may be your only option.

Hope this helps.
Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I believe the OP was interested in a thermostatic valve, not just an anti-scald pressure balanced valve. I am interested in doing the same changeover, but it will have to be from within the shower as there is NO accessibility from the rear.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think the Thermostatic and Pressure Balanced are the same breed with a different name. Out on another limb, I think PB is all you can get now as they are now part of the National Building Code(both US and Canadian), I believe. I'm not a plumber, just a home handyman with experiance in remodeling S&B bathrooms.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

X2 with what Wizard said. Plex tubing can also be used to help fit unit into tight area
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

There is a difference. I have a thermostatic valve at home. The actual temperature is one knob, the on-off volume another, so before I step in the shower, I just turn it to full volume and it sucks just hot water until it comes up to temperature, then it blends hot and cold to maintain temp regardless of pressure fluctuations on the hot or cold side (as a PB system does). What this does is allow you to get your exact favorite temperature without fiddling with the knob. Also it comes up to temp faster as you are just pulling hot water til it hits your desired temp. Mine is an analog 10 year old American Standard and was just over $100. Some of the newer ones have a digital setting for desired temp and you can spend as much as you want on the high end.

A thermostatic valve is a PB valve with an additional feature, and they are harder to find.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower