Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Alan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 11
Our First Class A (Itasca Suncruiser) Tracbar Brand?

We moved up from a small class C and purchased a super clean low mile 1995 Suncruiser 29RQ, Chevy chassis from a reputable dealer. Dealer fixed a bunch of small stuff as part of the deal. The only disappointment was that I discovered that the converter/charger was bad after our first weekend Trip so I replaced it with the progressive dynamics unit.

I put the steersafe unit on the front and that made a huge difference in the handling especially with wind. Took our first long trip (1100 mile round trip) and was very happy with our new to us class A. Averaged 9mpg (Better than our small 20' class C Ford 460)

Next will be a rear tracbar to help with tail wag that I believe is causing some of the "steer all the time" syndrome. Looking at the SuperSteer product from Henderson's.

I would love to hear about other's experience with rear tracbars and brands?
Alan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MN,USA
Posts: 217
Before spending the money have the alignment checked with the unit loaded for a trip. You may be amazed at the difference.
__________________
2004 Itasca Sunrise 36', Workhorse
2003 Suzuki XL7
Dsouthw524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
pushtrk99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
trac bars

You should google DIY tracbars OEMY;s Diy will come up --A lot of us made our own trac bar-A few measurments and a little labor and you can do it yourself.If there is a race shop near youi they will also make one for half what you would pay to just buy one and install yourself-I made mine for a 1991 Bounder coming off the u-bolts on each side --WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!--Rich
pauperspride.blogspot.com
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 138
Don't know the answer about the tracbar, but wanted to congratulate you on "movin' on up." Happy rving to you.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper
 
pushtrk99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
ONE THING YOU MAY WANT TO DO IS READ THE LONG BUT INTERESTING ARTICLE AT( Cheap handling fix) if you have a F-53 chassis-It is cheap and big improvement
www IRV.com/cheap handling fix
Rich
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
Alan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 11
Thanks for the information I'll check it out.
Alan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Alan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
ONE THING YOU MAY WANT TO DO IS READ THE LONG BUT INTERESTING ARTICLE AT( Cheap handling fix) if you have a F-53 chassis-It is cheap and big improvement
www IRV.com/cheap handling fix
Rich

We have the P37 Chassis but I will check this information out, Thank you.
Alan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
George Schweikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 44
A properly constructed DIY track bar, or one from a manufacturer, is one of the best handling mods. The typical leaf spring rear leaf spring suspension has slight looseness of individual components which can be exaggerated by the large overhang; combining to create tail wag. A track bar eliminates almost every opportunity for side-to-side suspension play and it doesn't really matter which one you use (although a track bar that reaches from one side to the other is theoretically better than one that attaches to the differential)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan17 View Post
We moved up from a small class C and purchased a super clean low mile 1995 Suncruiser 29RQ, Chevy chassis from a reputable dealer. Dealer fixed a bunch of small stuff as part of the deal. The only disappointment was that I discovered that the converter/charger was bad after our first weekend Trip so I replaced it with the progressive dynamics unit.

I put the steersafe unit on the front and that made a huge difference in the handling especially with wind. Took our first long trip (1100 mile round trip) and was very happy with our new to us class A. Averaged 9mpg (Better than our small 20' class C Ford 460)

Next will be a rear tracbar to help with tail wag that I believe is causing some of the "steer all the time" syndrome. Looking at the SuperSteer product from Henderson's.

I would love to hear about other's experience with rear tracbars and brands?
__________________
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
pushtrk99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
I agree George The longer the better-On my 91 bounder p-30 chassis I mounted the trac bar to the bottom of the u-bolts on each side ,then I was able to make the bar longer,If you would like to see pictures of my homemade trac bar email me and I''l frwd it to you-Rich
pushtrk99@gmail.com
pauperspride.blogspot.com
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper
 
Alan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
I agree George The longer the better-On my 91 bounder p-30 chassis I mounted the trac bar to the bottom of the u-bolts on each side ,then I was able to make the bar longer,If you would like to see pictures of my homemade trac bar email me and I''l frwd it to you-Rich
pushtrk99@gmail.com
pauperspride.blogspot.com
I would love to see your pictures as I can't fully picture how your dual tracbar is mounted. I'll send you an email
Alan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper
 
pushtrk99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
I sent you pictures of trac bar -if there is any questions get back to me and I'll try to answer any questions-Rich
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
pushtrk99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
I will try to upload pics here but I don't know computers very well-
It was made for 1991 Bounder 454 engine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2758.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	30769   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2762.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	30770  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2759.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	30771   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2763.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	30772  

pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
itasca, suncruiser


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remodeling our 1994 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser Ricody Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 34 12-23-2010 06:12 PM
Goodbye class C, c'mon class A ghostrider General Maintenance and Repair 7 07-28-2009 09:06 AM
Brand New 2001 Suncruiser (no cost). Izzyblueye Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 16 04-17-2008 04:29 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.