Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

A few questions for a newbie to a 02 Journey 36

After pulling a trailer around by my 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel for several years, I decided to upgrade and recently bought a 02 Journey with the Cummins ISB engine. The coach has low miles (~ 34k) but it has set a lot for the last several years. We drove it home ( ~350 miles) without any issues but I want to give it a thorough look over before I take off on vacation. I have worked as an auto mechanic for many years but have no expereince with the motorhomes.
A couple of questions:
1. I have replaced the fuel filter at the back of the coach. After reading several threads, I think there must be another fuel filter located by the engine but I have not been able to locate it. Can anyone point me to where it is located?
2. Is there an engine code reader that you recommend to allow me to look at the engine control module and see if there have been any issue or faults? The connector is at the back by the radiator and is round. Tonight when going for a short trip to run the engine, the check engine light came on and the tach was bouncing up/down. The oil pressure, engine temp., etc. looked ok. After a few minutes the light went out and the tach stopped bouncing around. Any ideas?
3. Has anyone changed out the heater hoses going to the front of the coach? I followed them to the front and did not find any soft spots but they are 10 years old or so. Is is OK to close off the two valves and operate with them closed in the event a hose ruptures? I suspect most of the coaches are built the same but changing these hoses looks like a real pain.
4. I am considering going to the Freightliner class offered for the Winnebago owners in Iowa this July. Have any of you previously attended this? Do you think this would be beneficial? I have purchased the chassis manual and although it is very informative, there are few pictures to point me to what/where something is located underneath.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tom
69Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a new 2012 Journey and the check engine light has come on twice. Same thing happened to me on my last coach and on both of my cars. Every time it was the sensor that went bad! So, my experience would send you towards the sensors. That, would be the wrong thing to do however, because whatever was causing your problem cannot be located by looking at my coach!
I also will have no information on where the filters are beyond the fact that Winnebago seems to have all of the Manuals downloadable from their web site on nearly all of their models. Finding the right one may help in locating the filters.
If your coach has not been used much for the past several years, I would suspect old fuel and be prepared to change out a few filters until all that fuel is gone. That could be what caused the fluxuation.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

69 bird,
Congrats on your new purchase. You should be pretty happy with that rig. As for "two" fuel filters, some came with two, and some didn't. The CAT dealer was insistent that our rig, an 04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT and Allison MH3000 trans, came with TWO fuel filters. But, could not seem to find part numbers for the second one. Well, after just a bit of investigation it was determined there was definitely only ONE fuel filter. And, it did not come with the glass or, plastic viewing bowl attached to the bottom.
So, I ended up going to CAT for the filter and Freightliner for the bowl and gasket. I've since purchased a spare complete filter and bowl, as a unit, from "Filter barn.com" Way better pricing.

But, like I said, there may or may not be two filters on yours. I realize you said yours is a Cummins but, take a look. If it goes from the filter right to the injector pump, you got only one filter.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

69Bird,
The second fuel filter is actually a strainer. It is located inside the frame rail, above the rear passenger side tires. It is a Racor RAI-025 RAC10. They are usually available at your Freightliner dealer.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

1. I have a 02 Journey, ISB. It has 1 fuel filter. Call 1-800 FTL-Help for 24/7 info. Have your SN ready and they will tell you anything you want to know about your chassis.2. Can't tell you about code readers but several are available. A new one just came out and is about $180. I'm waiting for feedback from owners.3. I haven't change heater hoses as it looks like a pain. I do have shut off valves in case of a leak.4. Go to Freightliner class as Mike Cody is great and even the most ladies enjoy his class.Enjoy your new coach. I have put 166,000 on mine since new and it has been basically trouble free with a few exceptions.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the information, good stuff.
Regarding the check engine light, do you guys has a recommendation on a fault reader from the ECM? From other threads, I have looked at the VMSpc from SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc and also contacted Cummins. Cummins offers a handheld reader and also a pc version which requires an annual update.
Is one better than the other and why?
Thanks again,
Tom
69Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Do a search on this forum for Journey heater core leaks and Journey surge tank leaks may be informative reading.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I would definitely recommend the Camp Freightliner class. It is so informative and interesting; they teach you things you never thought of.

Tags
journey, newbie