Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2013 Journey 42E electric door lock & step wiring

Here's my issues. Steps were working fine, then the door electric lock stopped working. I pulled the contact out of the door jam & the wires came off the back side. Very poor setup for attaching these wires. But what can you do. I got them back on so the steps would work properly then I contacted Winnebago for the wiring diagram for this switch. I installed per their drawing & my door switch worked backwards. Press lock to unlock & unlock to lock. However my steps would not work at all. I played with the wires & I got my steps to work but not my door lock.

I called Winnebago & they told me I should have 12v to the yellow wire WL, I do not it is grounded, & ground to WM, WM is correct. My next step is to go to the relay. I have checked for chafed wires as far as I can trace this wire to the large wire bundle behind the genny . I also think if there was a chafed wire I would be popping the cb'er. it has not popped.

Second issue with the steps. I have 12 v to the KD wire which is correct & ground to the MP wire, but I do not get 12 v coming out of the door at MP when the steps are commanded to close or open, But if I connect the KD & MP wires directly to each other the steps work normal. I am going to check the contact switch in the door ( 4 copper contact point) to make sure there is not a loss of continuity through this contact. I can not find the wiring diagram for the inside of the door any where. Does anyone know if this wire is just a loop in side the door? I also can't see how I would open up the door other than the limited access at the door handle. When I remove the 4 point contact from the door there is barely enough wire to get to the back where the wires connect with needle nose pliers. Just 2 more inches of wire would be nice Winnebago.

Now I must give Winnebago Service Tech Tommy a hand , He has worked with me through several emails & a couple of phone calls & yesterday he spent the better part of an hour or more trying to help me. One thing I wish they would publish is wiring schematics along with the diagrams so the consumer or tech could actually see what power & when it should be present.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You can download the wiring diagrams from winnebagoind.com.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

ChasA Yes I am doing that however I can not find the one for the inside of the passenger door. But this is what I have found so far. Door locking mechanism gets power only when the switch or keyfob is depressed & the wiring in the door was backwards, swapped those 2 wires & my door lock now works properly.
As for my steps i found a magnetic switch in the door & it is bad. When I replace that switch I believe all will be good. I just need to find the part number or find one at a local hardware or radio shack. Unfortunately that magnetic switch is in the door & I do not see the diagram for the door internals, But I am still searching. Maybe another call to Winnebago.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have had a similar issue as you Dan. The wires came apart in the door frame, I tried different combinations until the electric door lock worked. After reading your post I tried the steps and sadly they don't work now. There is no marking on the wires, can you tell me which position the yellow wire is on your coach, I am guessing the top position but not certain.
Thanks
Brent
Old 01-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I believe Winnebago buys the door from a company called PTL? I emailed them a couple of years ago looking for information on how to adjust the latch. I never heard back. Maybe if you call the Winnebago Helpline, they may have the info you seek.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

dsbike, looks like the Winnebago part number for the in the door magnetic switch is "174230-01-705 SWITCH - MAGNETIC VENDOR NO: 027*041"
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

RvWarner, the yellow wire goes to the 2nd from the top, Wm on top, Kd 3rd, & then of coarse the last one on bottom. What I found was that with the WM & Yellow in the correct position the lock did not work properly, I switched the wires at the plunger behind the door handle because they were easier to get to & the lock worked correctly. The stairs still did not work, I jumped the bottom 2 wires to each other & the stairs worked properly. I determined the magnetic switch which is normally closed when the door is closed was never closing the circuit. I bypassed the magnetic switch and all is working correctly. I ordered a switch from PTL Engineering for $17.99 part # 027-041. Personally I don't know why this magnetic switch is even in this system. In my opinion it is redundant because the 4 prong connector at the door hinge jam breaks the circuit. But I am replacing it to make it factory. If it fails again I will not replace it. I hope this helps.
GRTHarris thanks for the part info. I called Winnebago & they gave me the number & then I double checked it with PTL.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dan, I followed your procedure but could only get the steps to come in not out. I jumped the two bottom wires behind the plug on the door jam, not sure where you jumped them or if it would make a difference. I am unable to look at the wiring diagrams, where did you locate the magnetic switch that you by-passed?
Thanks
Brent
Old 01-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have come up with a good solution to the very poor wire connection to the 4 button plug in the door jam. I took female bullet electrical connectors, 22-18 gauge, trimmed off the plastic overhang on the side that pushes onto the plug and crimped the other end to the trimmed wire. Makes for a nice secure fit. Now if anyone knows where the magnetic switch,( 027-041 or 174230-01-705), is located in the door or door jam, I would surely appreciate the information.
Thanks
Brent
Old 01-24-2016, 06:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sorry for the late response, I was traveling in the SE yesterday & didn't get back to my computer.
The magnetic switch is located at the rear edge of the door (handle / latch edge) about 6 inches up from the bottom. If you look at the door jamb you will see the 2 plugs at the bottom the upper one is the magnet. The switch is on the door opposite of the magnet. They both just push in to their hole. I used a very small flat head screwdriver to pry them out.
Hope this helps.
Not sure why your steps won't go out, mine were always wanting to be out. might check your relays in the basement compartment in front of drivers front wheel.
This drawing on the Winnebago site may help 181554 page 6 wiring istl- front end
Old 01-24-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dan, I by-passed the switch and everything works great. Pretty sure those connectors I put on the back of the 4 button plug will never come off on their own again so when I put in a new switch I shouldn't have to mess with it again. Thanks again, you've been a huge help!
Brent
Old 01-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Glad to see you got it working. I sent you a PM

Tags
wiring, door, journey