Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2002 Journey...TV removal advice needed.

My new2me 2002 Journey has had the tube type TV removed and a 31" LED installed. In such a way that I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove it to add cables and search for a possible fix for the HDMI problem.

Anyone know how to get into that cabinet? The TV is ratchet strapped in place but I can't seem to get my arm up in there enough. So I'm thinking that maybe there's a trick to it. Take off the bottom of the cabinet maybe? If so, how are those attractive caps spaced every few inches on the bottom of the TV cabinet removed? Do I just pry them off?

Thanks!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
My new2me 2002 Journey has had the tube type TV removed and a 31" LED installed. In such a way that I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove it to add cables and search for a possible fix for the HDMI problem.

Anyone know how to get into that cabinet? The TV is ratchet strapped in place but I can't seem to get my arm up in there enough. So I'm thinking that maybe there's a trick to it. Take off the bottom of the cabinet maybe? If so, how are those attractive caps spaced every few inches on the bottom of the TV cabinet removed? Do I just pry them off?

Thanks!
Jim,
I'd have to see a pic of those to maybe advise you on how to remove them. I'll run out and take a look at our '04 Horizon to see if we have something similar. I will get back to you.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yes, the caps can simply be pried off. On mine, there were about 6 screws under the plastic caps all the way around that had to be removed. Then, inside the adjoining cabinets (behind the swing-up doors) there are about 4 screws that go sideways into the wood trim around the front of the TV that also need to be removed. This should allow the front trim and the plastic under the TV to all come away. If you have the surround sound speaker in the wood trim above the TV you also have to disconnect those wires. Then you should be able to get to things. My original tube TV was held in by a steel strap and I needed to get a 12" socket extension to be able to access the bolts from the bottom.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Put a towel over the defroster vents before removing those screw caps so you don't lose any down the vents.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

A pic would be helpful..
Old 02-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

To remove the big cover on mine you need to remove the center cap of the plastic "thingy" which exposes a Phillips screw. Don't try to pry off the entire plastic "thingy". And as mentioned above some screws in from the side cabinets. Really hard to know how or what was done on your RV without more information.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I've tried to pry out the entire plastic 'thingy' (picture below), that didn't work, and 1ciderdog says the inner cap. So I tried prying that out. No go so far. I'm going to get some tools or a better knife and pry even more on that center cap. Seems logical there would be a screw under there.

Here's the installation:

Than a side view:

Than a view looking up at those plastic cap thingies:

I can see in that last pic, a little dark spot on both those inner caps. I bet that's where you're suppose to pry. I'll give that a try. Problem is there's a med I take that makes me dizzy when I look up at something in that position. Hah!

Old 02-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yepper, stick a tiny screwdriver in that little slot and those plugs will pop out. The plastic tub is screwed to the wood surround at the bottom so you have to remove the entire surround. The tub will stay attached.

Look inside both of the cabinets adjacent to the TV and you should see 3 -4 wood screws that will need to be removed. On the side with the little A-V switch box, you will need to pull the box out to get to those screws. Once they are removed, the entire wood frame and plastic tub will drop out of the way. Once you get the TV out, you may want to take the opportunity to put some insulation in the cap. My 2002 Journey had none and the heat build up on sunny days was significant. I insulated that area and the improvement was notable.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Closed the curtains and covered the dash vents with paper to prevent losing any of those little caps.

Took a while to get them all out since I'd get all woosey every time I'd try to look up, but got it done eventually. Six of them. Now on to removing the screws!

Thanks for the advice, smlranger. I'll add that to my list of things to do...

Old 02-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Now that I have the bottom cover off, I can see my TV cabinet is steel and there aren't any screws coming in from the sides.

There is more access back there now. It does look like it would benefit from some insulation. I'll see about picking some up.

Now on to figuring out the audio connection to the JVC dash radio that's not working. And messing with the HDMI inputs too.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

HAVE you checked the tv mount itself? I had one that was two parts one on tv and one on wall, a half hidden lever released the tv, top side of mount.

LEN
Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Now that I have the bottom cover off, I can see my TV cabinet is steel and there aren't any screws coming in from the sides....
The screws coming in from the side hold the wooden front/face frame in place. If you don't need to remove the wood you won't need to worry about them.

(As manufactured, the plastic surround is screwed to the wooden frame from the inside, thus both need to be removed together. When I put mine back together after swapping out the TV I left those screws out so that I could remove the plastic surround by itself--it sounds like your previous owner may have done the same thing.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
The screws coming in from the side hold the wooden front/face frame in place. If you don't need to remove the wood you won't need to worry about them.

(As manufactured, the plastic surround is screwed to the wooden frame from the inside, thus both need to be removed together. When I put mine back together after swapping out the TV I left those screws out so that I could remove the plastic surround by itself--it sounds like your previous owner may have done the same thing.)
Now that I have the cover off, I see what you're talking about Chris. I won't need to remove the wood so everything is good.

Tags
advice, removal, journey