Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2014 Itasca Solei GFI Not Working

Located in bathroom.
Reset switch not functioning on GFI.
Put meter on wires and no power.
Other GFI working fine.
No breakers tripped.
Replaced GFI.
Still not working.

Thoughts & Tips welcome!

Steve
Old 02-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I know you said you have checked the breakers but if you have an inverter the breaker on it is often missed and can be an issue.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Is there anything else that is not working? Some plugs are on the inverter and some are not.

If you find other plugs and appliances on the inverted side that have no power check what is called a fusible link. It is between your house batteries and the inverter.

Mine blew and it took me a few hours to track down what happened as it is not even mentioned in any of the owners manuals.

Good Luck
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

stevegster, check the breaker labeled GEN RCP in the main panel side of the breaker panel. It is the one that feeds the GFI in the bathroom.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Dont miss the obvious - there may very well be a fault on the GFI circuit beyond the outlet causing it to remain activated when you try to reset it. GFIs trip if there is greater than 5 ma current leakage to ground. That is a very small amount of current. They can also trip if there is a slight accumulation of dust in an outlet box in humid conditions as that will cause conductivity to the grounded box itself. I would open the box up and check the connections and the outlet box. If they seem fine, there may be additional outlets fed through the GFI outlet that have a fault in them based on your indication that a new outlet did not solve the problem. Good luck and be careful,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Checked and reset breakers JIC but no joy. Also checked connections. I would suspect its somewhere else causing the problem as no power is even getting to the hot side of things.

Appreciate the input. I'll let you know when I resolve.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

stevegster, do you have power on the load side of this breaker, see picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34T Breaker panel.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	119271  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Steve
Sounds like you have an open circuit on the hot side of the line to the GFI. Try checking under any bottom drawers in the bathroom (the drawers can easily be removed) or under furniture, for what look like electrical outlets. Winnebago use these to make connections in their wiring. You might have an open connection there feeding the GFI. Do all the other outlets in the coach work?
If you dont have any current on the hot side of the outlet, I would also open the faceplate of your main electrical panel and the second Inverter breaker panel - that may or may not - be a part of the main panel (with the power disconnected and the inverter off and house batteries off) and make sure all the connections to the breakers are tight as well as all of the neutral and ground connections in the box. (If the outlet is fed by your inverter, there will be a separate set of breakers for the inverter fed circuits.)
If you are uncomfortable, see if you have a friend who might do it for you or get an electrician. Probably is something simple Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca