Old 07-30-2019, 12:13 PM   #15
Site Team

That would have been my guess. Glad it's sorted.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I've found one of the less complex (and cheaper) ways to deal with not cooking the batteries is to pull the fuses on the coach charging as it is right next to the battery compartment on mine, then use a cheap, simple, stand alone trickle charger to keep the batteries topped off as it does not overcharge them to boil them dry during storage.
This is one that works for me:
https://www.harborfreight.com/automa...ger-42292.html
I still check everything like security and the batteries as well as start it to run about every month or so during storage. Nothing kills an RV as quit as NOT being used....
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Battery charge with convertor (ac source)

Replacing batteries is a temporary fix! "newer chargers with "smart charging". The newer chargers will not damage your batteries if left on continuously."

1988 Winnebago old technology convertor, disconnect 110 vac OR constantly overcharge house batteries (boil water from cells). Then you had dead batteries whenever you wanted to go due to micro ampere loads not disabled by 12 VDC disconnect. Found myself replacing house batteries at least every two years from either dead not re-charging, or overcharged shorted cell damage in storage. Yes, all I needed to due is check every month adding water preventing the problem, HOWEVER!

Purchased 2012 with same technology, 1 house and the start battery were bad. Replaced 3 batteries, REPLACED convertor with new "smart charge" feature including de-sulfurization cycle (careful advertisement: purchased great deal only to discover all manufacturer's using phasing description are not including constant charge electronic battery maintenance program). After five years constantly connected to shore power in storage, batteries with "smart charge" convertor are in excellent condition and motorhome is always ready to go.

I use my motorhome as guest house for visitors, this set-up allows me to keep the refrigerator active for surprise guest and emergencies.

I did add a house battery power management digital display indicating voltage, available watt hours, just so I can readily identify any problem. HINT: if you are equipped with remote monitor "invertor" display, you can verify available voltage on house batteries.
Retired FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries