Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #21
Site Team

If you added solar, and added a transfer switch for the solar - which sounds a bit odd in the first place - how is your service contract paying for the repair of something not originally installed on your coach?

I’ve never heard of that.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
Bad cord is my #1 guess. A continuity test of the cord with everything unplugged using your meter should tell you if one of the wires is open.
Or a bad (loose or corroded) connection where the cord connects to the RV. With a long wire and some creativity you can check continuity from the cord to other accessible locations like your breaker panel, etc.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

The only way you would need a "Transfer switch for solar is if your panels had "Micro- iverters and produced 120 volts AC". Almost all solar panels produce DC and go to a charge controller and then to your batteries. A transfer switch is used for AC sources only. I have to assume that This owner does not know what he has. I think he has 1 or solar panels, a charge controller, a shore power cord and that is it. There is no transfer switch of any kind. The problem has to be a bad power cord.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Below are two links to Go Power's website (maker of the solar system I had installed). The weekender system shown is very similar to what I have installed. Notice the Transfer Switch... The transfer switch is used to determine if I have shore power/generator power go to the outlets or the inverter (power from the batteries) going to the outlets. The second link shows how to install.

https://gpelectric.com/products/weekender-isw/

https://gpelectric.com/wp-content/up...STEMS_RevK.pdf

The service manager working at this dealership I have know for years. Neither he nor the dealership are dishonest from what I can see.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
If you added solar, and added a transfer switch for the solar - which sounds a bit odd in the first place - how is your service contract paying for the repair of something not originally installed on your coach?

I’ve never heard of that.
I briefly looked over my service contract and could not find anything stating the part had to be originally installed from the manufacturer. Maybe if it was something unique or extreme they might baulk at it, but I don't think having a solar system on a motorhome is out of the norm. I guess I picked the right service contract.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:59 PM   #26
Site Team

Just to be clear, the transfer switch detailed in that info you posted is for the inverter not the solar.

The solar panels connect to the solar controller which charge your batteries. The inverter uses the energy stored in the batteries to convert 12v into 110v power. The transfer switch sits between the inverter and your AC inlet insuring that you aren’t trying to use both power sources at the same time. If shore power is available then the inverter will not try to supply AC. So it’s not correct to refer to it as a “solar transfer switch” - which is not a thing.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Re transfer switch? According to Your manufacturers literature the Transfer Switch is part of the inverter, which is propriatory to the system manufacturer. The standard method for inverters, is to have a pass-through if AC voltage from an outside source. When that source is not there the inverter
supplies AC.No Trensfer switch needed
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Just to be clear, the transfer switch detailed in that info you posted is for the inverter not the solar.

The solar panels connect to the solar controller which charge your batteries. The inverter uses the energy stored in the batteries to convert 12v into 110v power. The transfer switch sits between the inverter and your AC inlet insuring that you aren’t trying to use both power sources at the same time. If shore power is available then the inverter will not try to supply AC. So it’s not correct to refer to it as a “solar transfer switch” - which is not a thing.
Correct... Thank you. I had a solar system installed on my motorhome. Part of the solar system I purchased was an inverter and transfer switch.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem and it was the breaker switch on the generator. It is very hard to see. Have you foud it and flipped it?
Smittty54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical