Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Help - No electrical

Arrived at the RV park today. Plugged into shore power and everything was working fine. Went to open the slideout and lost all electricity.

Removed the surge protector and plugged directly into shore power - no luck. Turned on the generator, still no power. Turned on the inverter from the solar panels and everything works on battery power.

Checked the house breakers, flipped them off and on - no luck. Checked the breaker on the generator, switched off and on - no luck.

Am I missing something???
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You're going to need a multimeter so you can see how far the power is getting, starting at the shore power connection and working your way into the rig. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.

There was a similar post on either Winnieowners.com or IRV2.com that concluded with a faulty shore power cord. I can't find the link in question but here's another new post on a similar issue. There are no responses so far but you may learn something by following it:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...st-353569.html

You mentioned that you're not getting 120V AC power from the generator. Did you test the generator when you were connected or disconnected from shore power? You need to test the generator while completely disconnected from shore power. Otherwise, the transfer switch could stop power from the generator if it was sensing voltage from the shore power connection.

I hesitate to jump ahead in your troubleshooting but, if you did check the generator while disconnected from shore power, it might point to a faulty main breaker in your rig. The only way to be sure is to check the voltage on both "sides" of the main breaker with multimeter.

Additionally, here's a link to your rig's wiring diagrams:

https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram...e26he_wire.htm

Another thing to check before going too far is to make sure you re-set all your GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters). Do this while connected to shore power so you can tell if they re-set or immediately trip.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi Bob... Thank you very much for the detailed response. It is much appreciated.

I do have a multimeter, unfortunately I would not know how to properly use it or what to look for in this situation. I have a plug on the motorhome where the shore power cord has to be plugged into for it to power the coach. The cord was properly plugged in when I tried the generator. From what I could find, I only have one GFCI in the motorhome and one GFCI on the inverter. I checked both while using the inverter (solar/battery) and they are fine.

Unfortunately, since it is not a simply flip of the breaker switch or a reset of the GFCI, I think I will have to take my motorhome in for service.

Thanks again for the response.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Taking it in for service is likely to be very expensive since electrical troubleshooting like this can be time-consuming even though it's not overly complicated.

You certainly don't want to go poking around 120V if you don't know how to use a multimeter but you might want to check around and see if you have a friend, relative or neighbor who knows their way around a multimeter and 120V electricity. The motorhome's 120V circuitry is not unlike that of a house.

At this stage, my number one suspect is your shore power cord. Checking it out is relatively easy for a knowledgeable person. If the cord checks out, my number two suspect is your main breaker, again not difficult to check with a multimeter.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks BobC. I agree but my options are limited. Unfortunately, my best option right now is to take it in for service. What could cause the power cord to go bad? Can a circuit breaker go bad without it tripping off?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2019, 05:19 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You Tube can teach you how to use a multimeter.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Completely agree. I am taking the coach in for service tomorrow. I will have the mechanic test a couple of the possible devices that may have failed (GoPower transfer switch, converter, main breaker, power cord, generator, etc.) and ask questions. I'm sure the mechanic is going to love that

I am leaning toward a faulty GoPower (solar) transfer switch or the converter. We will see...

Thanks to everyone for the input. I will let you know the outcome.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Thanks BobC. I agree but my options are limited. Unfortunately, my best option right now is to take it in for service. What could cause the power cord to go bad? Can a circuit breaker go bad without it tripping off?

Thanks
1. Things can go bad either inside a cord or where it connects to your RV, generally inside a junction box.

2. Circuit breakers can fail just like any other electrical part.

Since you'll do so while unplugged from shore power, it's not too difficult, and completely safe, to check your cord. You'll need to find the junction box at the RV end of the cord, open it and check continuity between the RV end of the cord to the plug end with your multimeter. Although it's not the exact same situation, this video will walk you through the process you'll use:

While you're at it, you can check the integrity of the connections within the box. Look for broken, corroded or loose connections. Your cord wires probably have ring connectors crimped on them and one of these may have worked loose. These can be replaced.

If you don't have continuity between the inboard and outboard ends of your cord as described in the video, it will need to be replaced.

Although you could also test your cord by measuring the voltage within the junction box while plugged in, this can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Ok BobC... You asked for it. I'm moving to Elk Grove and buying the house next to you...

Seriously, thank you for the valuable input. Really appreciate it.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I'd actually have fun helping you sort this out in person.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

**Update**

So, I heard back from the dealership today. They indicated the transfer switch and solenoid need to be replaced. The advisor also mentioned a little rewiring was needed, but I did not get any details. My Protective service contract will cover the repairs (minus my deductible).

Thank you again for the above responses.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the update.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Rossi6998, ask them to show you the bad parts. The drawings show that you do not have a transfer switch. And you stated you have to plug the power cord into the generator recp box which means you do not have a transfer switch.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Bad cord is my #1 guess. A continuity test of the cord with everything unplugged using your meter should tell you if one of the wires is open.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
**Update**

So, I heard back from the dealership today. They indicated the transfer switch and solenoid need to be replaced. The advisor also mentioned a little rewiring was needed, but I did not get any details. My Protective service contract will cover the repairs (minus my deductible).

Thank you again for the above responses.
ROSSI6998 is correct. The dealer is getting ready to rob you or he got your repair ticket mixed up with another rig. Your wiring is not that difficult. Here is your coach: https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram...ire_182645.pdf

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-27-2019, 06:32 PM   #16
Itasca owner

I had a similar prob on my previous Adventurer, one of the prongs on the power cord had burned inside the big plug end. None available anywhere nearby but I was able to open the plug and make a temporary repair.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Rossi6998, ask them to show you the bad parts. The drawings show that you do not have a transfer switch. And you stated you have to plug the power cord into the generator recp box which means you do not have a transfer switch.
It is true the motorhome was built without a transfer switch; however, when I had solar added, a GoPower Transfer Switch was added. This is the switch that went bad.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
ROSSI6998 is correct. The dealer is getting ready to rob you or he got your repair ticket mixed up with another rig. Your wiring is not that difficult. Here is your coach: https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram...ire_182645.pdf

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Thank you for pulling up the wiring diagram. As I stated in another post, the transfer switch the dealer is referring to is the GoPower Transfer Switch for my solar which I had added after the motorhome was built. This is the transfer switch that went bad.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thank you for pulling up the wiring diagram. As I stated in another post, the transfer switch the dealer is referring to is the GoPower Transfer Switch for my solar which I had added after the motorhome was built. This is the transfer switch that went bad.

Thanks!
I missed that in your signature. I wonder why it failed? I have had to replace transfer switches in the past. The main reason for failure was loose connections. That caused overheating and loss of power. If you operate the transfer switch without a heavy load demand, it should last a very long time.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Dishonest dealer?

When you have a rig with a "Plug in" power cord forshore ppower it is obvious that you do not have a "Transfer switch" and what relay? The dealer you went to must of realized you were new to RV's, so we can charge him what ever, and he won't know,

If he returns an old transfer switch, it won't be from your coach. He should be reported to what ever manufacturer he represents.

Lwasouth
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical