Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2022, 06:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Generator Auto Start saved us!

We traveled to an FCOC rally at Lazydays in Seffner, FL in January. Enjoyed the rally, then went to Arcadia, FL to stay a week at an RV park and visit the wife's nieces and families.

When we arrived at the park in Arcadia on Sunday afternoon, the fellow who took us to our site said he wanted to make sure the power was working before he left. I thought that a bit strange, but everything worked.

We discovered on Monday we had contracted the Omicron variant of covid from some folks at the rally, confirmed with a covid test. So we quarantined in the coach for our time there, and stayed away from folks.

As if feeling bad wasn't enough, on Friday afternoon, the temps went to 86°! My roof air conditioners were working in my Forza 36G when I went to take a nap. But I was rudely awakened from my nap to a hot coach. My power center said "No Service" meaning no shore power was coming in.

I checked the power pedestal with my voltmeter, and there was only 11.88 AC volts on each leg. Called the park office and they sent out an electrician. He pulled the meter after confirming the low voltage, and found 3 loose connections in the pedestal, each requiring about 3 revolutions of his screwdriver to tighten. Power was restored to the 50 amp outlet, but still no power was coming into my coach. The surge protector /automatic transfer switch contactor was fried. I started the generator, and power was available and the rooftop air conditioners worked.

The burned smell was evident at the surge protector in the shore power cord compartment. So, the only way we could keep my batteries and inverter working to power our refrigerator , TVs, and propane furnace at night was to set our generator to "auto start". It was a life saving feature turning on the generator when needed to keep us going to make the multi day trip back home to VA. Hated to use the generator in RV parks on the way home, but I alerted the person at the check in desk, and they put me in a space away from others so my genset usage wouldn't bother them.Thanks to Cummins/Onan!

I have obtained a new Surge Guard 41260 Automatic Transfer Switch, about $400 worth, and when my Omicron symptoms finally go away, I will have to change it out. At least it protected everything inside my coach, and stopped the brownout damage which could have occured.

Get familiar with your auto gen start feature, if you have it, and be ready just in case.
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Glad it worked for you. It has saved us a few times when power was lost. Pedestal AC goes out, generaotr comes on. AC comes back on, generator shuts off. It also workds on Air Conditions (Other AC) demand. Set right, if the temperature goes up past a certain set point generator comes on. Nice features.

Yep, Thanks Onan.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Thanks for sharing your story and glad you are feeling better! I’ve never used the auto start feature, but I’m glad to know it’s there when I need it!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:31 AM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Glad it worked for you. It has saved us a few times when power was lost. Pedestal AC goes out, generaotr comes on. AC comes back on, generator shuts off. It also workds on Air Conditions (Other AC) demand. Set right, if the temperature goes up past a certain set point generator comes on. Nice features.

Yep, Thanks Onan.
I think i understand the auto start feature. But how does that work in campgrounds that don’t allow generators?
Old 02-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #5
Site Team

Most of us have the Onan EC30 control panel and it does have Autostart which is very handy. It can be programmed to start the generator on low battery voltage, power outage, or even if the RV gets too hot inside when not on shore power. Also, you can enter specific “quiet hours” into the controller if your campground prohibits generators at certain hours.

BUT!

It is a pretty complex device with plenty of subtle implications for each setting. I’ve used it maybe 4-times and each time I do I realize that what I thought a setting would do was quite a bit different from the reality of what each setting actually does.

I’d recommend you read up on the usage and setup of the AGS feature and perhaps do some testing upfront to gain an understanding of the system before you need it. Because learning this on the fly can be difficult.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Exactly! That is the reason for my post. We have a very nice system in our coaches, with awesome features. Someone was thinking ahead when they built it. All we have to do is learn how to use it for our best benefit. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I think i understand the auto start feature. But how does that work in campgrounds that don’t allow generators?
Well, in my situation, I alerted the host of my issues and my problem. I asked them to put me where my occasional generator usage would create the least disturbance. I informed them ahead of time in case anyone complained. That way we were both informed up front of what issues were transpiring.

Luckily, heading back home was heading towards colder weather, and the only need for the generator was to recharge my battery bank, not for air conditioning. It was only running about 20 minutes every 2.5-3 hours in the overnight period. Then when we awakened the next morning, I would start it manually and allow it to run for about an hour or so to top of the batteries before we traveled.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Wyatt, I have not been in that situation. The few times that the auto start worked there were no restrictions. However, with many RV'ers having medical needs for electricity, such as C-Pap, I don't think a few hours of a generator running for emergency reasons would cause a CG to have one vacate the premises. If a CG lost power I think a lot of people would be using their generator. GTobey had a unique situation and an understanding CG staff.

Also, with pets and summer heat, it is a nice feature. I'd rather ask for forgiveness, and if necessary move to a different CG.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:22 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I guess then the answer to my question is, you can disable the auto start if it will be an issue. We don’t have one, and I genuinely wondered how it worked. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
I guess then the answer to my question is, you can disable the auto start if it will be an issue. We don’t have one, and I genuinely wondered how it worked. Thanks!
Of course you can Wyatt. You turn it on or off and you set it to behave the way you want it to... when it's turned on.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:09 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I'm curious if anyone has installed an auto-start to replace the standard manual start. It looks like the Onan EC-30 goes for about $350, but I'm not sure how difficult the wiring would be. I would be replacing the standard start/stop hour meter, any chance the auto-start uses the existing wires?
Old 02-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Best seek pro help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
I'm curious if anyone has installed an auto-start to replace the standard manual start. It looks like the Onan EC-30 goes for about $350, but I'm not sure how difficult the wiring would be. I would be replacing the standard start/stop hour meter, any chance the auto-start uses the existing wires?
I think with the complexities of that system, you may be able to follow their installation instructions to get it installed. However, having a pro Cummins/Onan generator tech install it puts you in a better place with a warranty on protecting your entire system.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:39 AM   #13
Site Team

Here is a YouTube video of the install of an Onan EC30 controller with AGS.

Also, Magnum sells an Onan compatible AGS device. If you have a Magnum Inverter and a Magnum ARC display you can just add an AGS simply. If you don't they sell a self-contained AGS with all settings available on that devices control panel so you don't need their ARC Display, but it costs about $450.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:40 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Did they pay for your surge protector. I had that problem in a park but not only the podium but the water faucet had 130v coming thru it. The payed for the surge guard had to dry camp for 6 days till the surge guard came in. I did run my generator during the day to charge batteries had to shut it off at 10PM could not start it till 8 am.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes, you can disable it. Only running it in the Auto mode will enable any of the features on it like, power demand (pedestal failure,) AC set point demand...and a whole bunch of others I can't remember without reading the manual. For each feature there is a bulit in (small) screen that you scroll through and put in the settings that you want. You can turn on or off individual features. Ours is set for power failure only. No power, the generator starts and the auto-switch kicks in to power everything in the rig. Whe power at the pedestal is restored the generator shuts off. It can even be timed to turn of after autostart.

Ours controls 3 zones of AC and 2 zones of heat pump if that setting is selected (electric heat) If gas heat is selected the AquaHot kicks on.

Strange that when we had an AC worked on the 3 zones were swapped backwards from the way we were used to. I told the technician and he told me the buttons to push to program it back the way we were used to. Smart little machine! I wash I could remember those buttons...
Old 02-24-2022, 10:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

No, the park has not done anything, because I requested an evaluation of the failed unit, to find the causes. It appears that the pedestal may have lost ground, and then the voltage went high on the number 1 black wire. It blistered the insulation on the black wire, and melted the copper wire strands from the connector. (See the red circled area in the photo) The screw holding the end of the wire still had the ends of the copper strands tightly torqued in the connector. So the connector screws were all tightly torqued to specs..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220221_150135.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	182101   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220221_150720.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	182102  

Old 03-02-2022, 06:21 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post

I installed mine about 10 years ago and it took about 4 hours to do it. Most of the installation is done at the One Place Panel along with running a sensing wire to the the front of the coach to tie into a switched lead that tuns on and off when the ignition switch is turned on or off which is for a safety failsafe so that the generator is not accidentally left in AutoStart mode at the gas pumps or when put away for storage.

Tags
generator