Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

12v Converter Access---35'

Anyone know an easy way to get access to the converter in a 2008 35J Sightseer (or similar coaches)?

I know it is under the fridge...I can hear it there and that's where the install drawings say it is. The electric distribution panel is there too. I took the cover off to see if that would reveal anything but all it revealed was that the box is a box and you can't see behind it...maybe it would come out but before I go further on that rabbit trail thought I would ask

Surely others have replaced their Parallax Battery Boiler and know the secret. Thanks in advance! Steve
Old 09-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Converter Access---35'

On my 03 Adventurer 35U, the converter is behind the drawer located beneath the oven. If your setup is similiar, try the drawer or the drawer under the fridge.

03 Adventurer w/Tire Sentry tire pressure monitor
03 Winstar w/Brake Buddy
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It might be under the stove. Do you have a large drawer under the stove? If you do, pull it out. It might either be there or at least give you access to under the refigerator.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Nope...I had already pulled the drawers under the stove; under the fridge is the electric panel and I'm afraid that may have to be pulled but want to ask others first. Appreciate the thoughts thus far.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Belgique, go up on Winnebago's website. When the home page comes up, click on Resources, the manuals and diagrams. Open up wiring diagrams for your Sightseerer and then click on Body 12 Wiring Diagram. When that window opens, go to page 4. There is a good shot of where your converter is. Not knowing your coach layout, it shows the location to the right of your refrigerator and appears that you may have two pantry cabinets next to your fridge. Hope this helps you out.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Belgique, just check Winnebago's website again. The floor plan shows you have bunk beds. The converter will be under the bottom bunk bed on the left side as your look at it.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Fredo...really appreciate the effort. I have the install diagrams for mine and they show it under the fridge and I can hear it but not see it. The bunks have a huge pull out drawer there so nothing can go there plus it is on the slide. In our 35U there was a drawer under the fridge and you could pull it out and see it.

Under the fridge in this J is the electric panel and I'm afraid that could be a bear to pull out, but then, maybe it isn't? You did mention that pantry pull out that I hadn't thought of...if it will quit raining I will go check that out but I'm guessing it has a wall between it and the fridge. Again, thanks for the help! Steve
Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have a converter that boils the batteries too. What are you planning on replacing yours with?
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I have a converter that boils the batteries too. What are you planning on replacing yours with?
I did a lot of research here and RV.Net and went to bestconverters.com. Asked "Randy" there a question on Sat and he answered me in minutes. Folks seem to like the Progressive Dynamics PD9245 45 Amp RV Converter/Charger with pendant Price: $163.50 (free shipping) and Randy agreed. Decided to stay with the 45 amp since that is what is there now (IF I CAN FIND IT) so the wiring should be properly sized.

I bought an inverter from them last year and was pleased with the service.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
Fredo...really appreciate the effort. I have the install diagrams for mine and they show it under the fridge and I can hear it but not see it. The bunks have a huge pull out drawer there so nothing can go there plus it is on the slide. In our 35U there was a drawer under the fridge and you could pull it out and see it.

Under the fridge in this J is the electric panel and I'm afraid that could be a bear to pull out, but then, maybe it isn't? You did mention that pantry pull out that I hadn't thought of...if it will quit raining I will go check that out but I'm guessing it has a wall between it and the fridge. Again, thanks for the help! Steve
The Electrical Panel is usually easy to take out, just four screws. All the wires are long enough to move it to the side.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
The Electrical Panel is usually easy to take out, just four screws. All the wires are long enough to move it to the side.
Hey! That's great news! When it quits raining, I'll go check it out...after, of course, unplugging everything...including the inverter! I'll report back.