Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2008, 05:08 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

For what it's worth, we run 90+ in the summer, sometimes hitting 100, basement air has never failed to keep unit cool. Also use it on the highway, with no dash air. Will buy another one at a drop of a hat. Very satisfied. Don't understand some of the comments, have never experienced them.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:27 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

basement air works good in our ultimate freedom - had roof air on two other m/h -- will stay with basement air!!

Bill
Old 02-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #43
Winnie-Wise

Wow, been following the thread and it looks like basement air is by far the favorite. I got the same results when I did research before I bought the MH. That includes National owners.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

We like our basement air and don't want to consider anything else. Have had travel trailers with roof air and with that comparison I would prefer the basement air.

I hope Winnebago is listening and keep the basement air. I hope they keep it on all the class A models. If they only offer it on the high end units it will be very frustrating and probably put it out of reach for a lot of people.

I hope this is only a rumor and not true. I think it would be a big mistake on their part to discontinue it.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Ditto jcar6109.I have only had roof air on two coaches, but look forward to having basement air on next coach. Sure hope I have that oportunity.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #46
Winnie-Wise

AF CHAP just read your post. Those service centers you listed, Hbg PA and Hgrstn MD don't work on basement heat pumps. I have found a deler in Thurmont MD that has certification and will look at it in April.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hbg PA and Hgrstn MD don't work on basement heat pumps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Strange that they are listed in the certified service listing when they don't work on 'em -- maybe I misread something there... Hopefully the people in Thurmont can get you repaired!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:55 PM   #48
Winnebago Owner

I asked Mike (Mike forgive me if I mis-spelled your last name, I have your card in my Roledex in th eoffice) Muffelleto (Winnebago service rep.) about this topic Tues. when he came by. He said that Winnebago is "commited" to keeping the basement air conditioning and that they are working on fixing the problem on some of the models.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:00 AM   #49
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Winnebago is "commited" to keeping the basement air conditioning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Hopefully this will confirm things and this speculation... I was told today that Winnebago will NOT be discontinuing TrueAir Central A/C in the models it existed in 2008. In fact, an improved TrueAir is slated for 2009, debuting late Spring / Early Summer.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #51
Winnebago Master

Thanks Ron for setting us straight and giving us a new lease on a good thing. The problem with rumors, they tend to take on a life of their own.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #52
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Lichtsinn:
Hopefully this will confirm things and this speculation... I was told today that Winnebago will NOT be discontinuing TrueAir Central A/C in the models it existed in 2008. In fact, an improved TrueAir is slated for 2009, debuting late Spring / Early Summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. Maybe they will have a real thermostat that can be retrofitted to older units. I would gladly pay for a better and programable thermostat.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #53
Winnebago Master

Ron;

Thanks for your research and the post. Many of us will be much more at ease now.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #54
Winnie-Wise

Ron,
Thanks for digging out the response to this issue. Sure glad to hear this will be continued. I really like your new logo. Look's great. Trish and I will be at GNR this summer and look forward to seeing you.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #55

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Lichtsinn:
Hopefully this will confirm things and this speculation... I was told today that Winnebago will NOT be discontinuing TrueAir Central A/C in the models it existed in 2008. In fact, an improved TrueAir is slated for 2009, debuting late Spring / Early Summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the update Ron.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #56
Winnebago Camper

Location: Columbia SC on our way to Sweet Home Oregon ETA 25 Sept 08
One of the main reasons for basement Air is less noise! When we had roof air in our Class C sometimes you could hear our TV better outside than inside the RV! Good to hear their are no plans to eliminate this great feature!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #57
Winnebago Camper

The major disappointment of our 05 Adventurer has been the basement air. We loved it at first, but at this time, I would say there is a 75% chance we will leave Winnebago in the next 2 years because of the basement heat pump. I have been in the shop 5 times with it, once for over a month (very hard to do as a fulltimer). Very few people really know anything about them and will mis diagnose them, making repairs that waste time and money without addressing the problem. Not to mention the space loss in storage and with the added ducting between the rear cap and the bedroom.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #58
Winnebago Camper

Did Winnebago ever quit the basement air thing? Are there fixes?
Mr.Cleane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #59
Winnebago Owner

As far as I know, basement air is gone! Our 2011 has 2 Coleman roof air units. The reason I was given is the area that housed the basement air is now used for the DEF tank and associated equipment. I have no issues with the roof air on our coach. The front unit was defective from the factory and was changed out under warranty. Both units do a great job of keeping the coach cool. I love the heat pump feature too.

My only complaint is there is no way to run the fan in A/C mode. I can run the fan or the A/C but I cannot run the fan and have the compressors cut in and out as required. This is a bit irritating in the bedroom when the compressor and fan cut on in the middle of the night. I would rather have the fan run all the time at night and have the compressor run as needed. That is the condition I had with previous coaches and I do miss that feature with this coach.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #60
Winnebago Owner

Texas TC,

I don't know if this will work for you or not, but on our first coach with 2 roof airs and ducts between them, I would run the front unit with the vents closed up front to cool the bedroom at night. I would reverse the setup to watch TV by using the rear unit in the evening. Of course I didn't figure this out until a couple of weeks before we traded it for our '04 Winnebago, duh.

Good luck,
Dave