Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Windshield Wiper connecting Rod Alignment

I have a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser that I purchased used in January 2002. I am troubleshooting why the driver's side wiper travels several inches below the windshield while the passenger side seems to do well.

What is the order that the rods from the windshield post to the windshield motor go on the motor arm. I have a picture attached. Also, is it possible that the bolt attaching the rods to the motor arm may be worn and needs to be replaced?

Picture is attached.

Thanks,

keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield Wiper Motor.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	993  
Old 07-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't believe the adjustment is in the picture. This has happened to me on other vehicles and the fix was:

Position the blades in the stop position (turn wiper off). Remove the blade that is going lower at the base of the blade, not just the wiper. After removing it there should be a knurled knob of some kind that the base fits on. Reposition the base with the wiper resting where you want it to stop and resecure it.

Hope that works - should.

Edited: p.s., you may have to use a very wide blade screwdriver and gently ply up the base from different angles to keep it straight. Putting it back on is usually just a push, but sometimes there are allen screws that hold them in place.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Wayne,

What you suggest is what I have planned to do tomorrow. I have been putting Rust Buster on the post and I have a small puller I am going to try.

I did not thing about allen screws. An acorn nut is on the end, but I will check for allen screws also.

Thanks again

Keith
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Check this thread out too:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/wind...ent-55291.html

Also the parts catalog contains a drawing showing the proper orientation of the idler arms:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/submenu/2002.htm
Old 07-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Kieth,
I had that problem & others with the wipers & I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I knew the motor had been replaced under warranty, but why would the (in my case passengers side) arc off of the window. I found out the shaft from the linkage had been stripped when the motor was replaced, allowing it to arc & let the wipers swing too far. I took the nut & ran it down all the way on that shaft (its a flat shaft so a die wouldn't work) & reattached the motor & linkage & no more excessive arc. The nut couldn'ttighten far enough so that created an a wy for the linkage to swing too far. Maybe yours is just a realignment problem. lots o luck

i
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Fred,

The linkage you refer to, is that at the motor or at the wiper post?

I managed to pull the wiper arm off and it is not on a spline, so there is no way to move a little bit. It has partially squared post where there is only one position. I have to look close and see if that is worn.

I will check the bolts at the motor and the post to see if they have backed off and allows too much play. The extra travel can reach 4-6 inches at times.

Keith
Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

kieth,
it's on the wiper post. Mine has a shaft that is flat & if it's loose allows the linkage to arc & gives excessive play to the system. that nut that is attached to your shaft on your linkage may not be tightened down far enough. I couldn't tell on mine until I took it off & ran the nut all the way down to the linkage ( it had been stripped by the tech who put in the new wiper motor). After reassembly the wipers no longer have excessive travel on the windshield.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote