Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New 2008 Itasca 30B has wind noise/whistle (like a vent window that's cracked open, for anyone who can remember vent windows)at the top outer corner of windshield on both sides. Starts over 45 mph and intensifies.
The entire area was water tested and found no leaks. It might be caused by those long exterior moldings that sit about 1/2 inch off the outside of the windshield.

Do any Winnie owners have experience with the noise or a solution? Thanks in advance.
Invent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

New 2008 Itasca 30B has wind noise/whistle (like a vent window that's cracked open, for anyone who can remember vent windows)at the top outer corner of windshield on both sides. Starts over 45 mph and intensifies.
The entire area was water tested and found no leaks. It might be caused by those long exterior moldings that sit about 1/2 inch off the outside of the windshield.

Do any Winnie owners have experience with the noise or a solution? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:33 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Our 2008 35J has this sometimes on the passenger side. Seems to be a factor of wind speed/direction. I got some rope caulk (easily removable) and stuffed it in the small condensation drain openings on the bottom of that window and that solved the problem and is not noticeable. None of the other windows do it. We do not have dual pane. Steve.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:45 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

An initial complaint I had when the coach was new was wind noise on the driver's side. Yes, it starts around 45 mph. I taped all door and window seams and it didn't stop. Would you believe the noise is from the outside mirror? If I rotate the mirror arm so the mirror head is against the coach body I have no noise.

Velvac didn't have any answers for me, so, I've learned to live with it.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Steve and Frank,

Thanks for telling me about your experience and what you found.

I'll try both.

John
Old 03-13-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

On our coach it is the weep holes for window on drivers side only. Maybe mirror position directs air into them. I'm just not sure. I tend to have my window open most often, so have just learned to live with it. You would think they could have found a way to remady that by now, as it has been a problem forever.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Ahhhh! The mirror might be diverting wind into weep hole on the pax side! Dang, I hadn't thought of that. Was perplexed (but glad) as to why none of the other window weep holes made noise but this makes perfect sense!

Thank John for asking this question! Steve
Old 03-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The windows on my Horizon are made by Atwood. There are plastic rectangular covers over the weep holes. Recently, I lost one of the covers on the driver's side window and had wind noise. I called Atwood and purchased several replacement covers. Once installed, no more wind noise.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
The windows on my Horizon are made by Atwood. There are plastic rectangular covers over the weep holes. Recently, I lost one of the covers on the driver's side window and had wind noise. I called Atwood and purchased several replacement covers. Once installed, no more wind noise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have these weep hole covers on the passenger window but none on the drivers door window.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I have these weep hole covers on the passenger window but none on the drivers door window.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, we're talking apples and oranges here. Gassers and DP's have different window configurations.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2008 30b and haven't noticed a problem with the wind noise.

2008 Sunova 30b
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

On my Meridian I found that I had a whistle coming from the front hood. While at the factory they installed weather striping around the gaps. Solved that problem but I still have what may be a mirror whistle. Try tapeing off the hood to see if it helps.
Bob

2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
bobwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Invert,

I have a 29R. Since purchase I have been on a mission to quiet the bus down. This started after a ride in a friends new Journey.

I believe the noise you have, at least in my case, is cased by the drains at the bottom of the side windows. On my 29R there are 4 cuts per window to drain off water gathered in the bottom rails of the window frame. The glass in the front portion of the windows is in the outside rail and the air, above 40mph seems to blow in and cause the noise. I took some clear tape and covered the front 2 drains leaving the rear 2 open.

The noise is gone.

I also found the windows creaked more than I liked so I loosened the frames and sprayed silicone in around the frames and that stopped most of the creaking. In fact the silicone spray has worked well in many creaks and squeaks.

My quieting initiative has worked well so far. The motor, which once was unheard from, is now the loudest component in the bus.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks gang. Your suggestions about the window weep/drain slots seems to be the answer. I filled them with ribbon calk (thanks for that idea also) as a temporary test and the noise seems to be gone. Now I'll clear the rearmost two to determine if the front two are the sole issue. I don't see a reason for the front slots to exist - the window is stationary and is sealed to the frame. Maybe the mgr just slots all their frames. I'll seal the noise-making slots with black silicone or #M weahterstrip adhesive.

In any case, it sure sounded like the noise was coming from the upper outer corners of the windshield, so your advice pointed me the the right direction.