Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Well I decided against relocating the water heater in my '05 Sunrise for now, and just put the new 10 gallon where the six was. While laying under the heater compartment (behind front wheel) I noticed what looked like a piano hinge under the body lip at the top of the front "fender". There was one at the back and front. It wasn't hard to find and remove the screws holding the fender panel in place: some along the rear edge and some under the front. Presto....it opens just like any compartment door! And what a sight it reveals, pretty much the whole engine. This was totally news to me, and what a Godsend for spark plugs etc. Check yours out.....I'm thinking this may be typical of all series. The rear "fender" is also hinged. Must be a mechanics secret!
Pueblo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Well I decided against relocating the water heater in my '05 Sunrise for now, and just put the new 10 gallon where the six was. While laying under the heater compartment (behind front wheel) I noticed what looked like a piano hinge under the body lip at the top of the front "fender". There was one at the back and front. It wasn't hard to find and remove the screws holding the fender panel in place: some along the rear edge and some under the front. Presto....it opens just like any compartment door! And what a sight it reveals, pretty much the whole engine. This was totally news to me, and what a Godsend for spark plugs etc. Check yours out.....I'm thinking this may be typical of all series. The rear "fender" is also hinged. Must be a mechanics secret!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Dave, I wonder why there isnt another on the drivers side..sure does open things up...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

[img]7534[/img]
I hope this shows the photo I uploaded for the Surprise Engine Access post. If not, how the heck do I do it? I uploaded it, got it approved and followed the directions.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Giving it a try for you PD, I used the image icon in the post menu, 2nd from the right.

My Sightseer has the same type of access setup as your rig does, noticed it when I was cleaning early on. Figured it was for major engine work.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Steve,
Thanks, you must have the magic touch 'cause I used the same image icon. I wish the image posting here was as simple as it is for emailing. I think pictures add tremendously to the value of any forum, and with almost everybody owning a digital camera, all they have to do is get their grandkids to show them how to do it!
Dave
Old 03-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
Dave, I wonder why there isnt another on the drivers side..sure does open things up...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I noticed that. Must be because of the drivers door. But I bet there's a way to just remove the panel. With my trusty cordless screw driver I'm not afraid to tear into ANYTHING!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have the same deal on all four wheel wells. Suspect it must be for access when doing a brake job or something similar.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Our Vectra has the hinged panels also. I would suspect that it would help during the installation of tire chains if needed in the rear.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Another thing to check out when the snow melts. Thanks Dave.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The hinged fender (WI calls it a valence panel) is pretty standard on WI products. On ours, all panels front to back are hinged in this manner.

One thing to check for if you open it (or even if you don't) is that it is bonded correctly to the inner metal framework.

Ours came loose revealing that only about 25% of the double sided tape that holds it on had been well bonded at the factory in assembly. No fun having a fender flapping in the breeze on a two lane road with little shoulder!

Thank heavens WI stepped up to the plate and covered replacing it. It took four months, but I'm supposed to pick it back up Saturday, just in time for spring.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote