Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We had a problem driving down to Washington DC that everytime we hit a bump the dashboard lights would flash the speedometer would bounce back to 0 and back up to 85 and the engine would quit. We did arive at Chery hill Park and got parked but now do not have any chassis power to the front, my steps do not work no headlights and cannot start the engine. Anyone have any ideas. We have a 2006 Horizon 40KD.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We had a problem driving down to Washington DC that everytime we hit a bump the dashboard lights would flash the speedometer would bounce back to 0 and back up to 85 and the engine would quit. We did arive at Chery hill Park and got parked but now do not have any chassis power to the front, my steps do not work no headlights and cannot start the engine. Anyone have any ideas. We have a 2006 Horizon 40KD.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Gary,
Serves you right for abandoning Winnebago and spending your son's inheritance. Just kidding. sorry I can't help with you problem.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChasA:
Gary,
Serves you right for abandoning Winnebago and spending your son's inheritance. Just kidding. sorry I can't help with you problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bad boy.

Gary, may I suggest you change the tittle and include the words help or urgent. It sounds like a serious problem but I'm pretty sure there are people on board that can help. Maybe not tonight because it's late but tomorrow for sure. Wish I could help.

Good luck
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Gary,
Check all battery connections,and make sure you have a good ground.
dennis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Gary,
First, try twisting the negative connection to your truck battery, and see if your steps move. Believe it or not, right now you are very lucky, because you have no power. That will make it far easier to find and fix the problem. If it were intermittent I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the campground. Ask around the camp and I'm sure you'll find some good help. You'll need to come up with a circuit tester of some sort, and you'll most likely have to get under the coach. Turn the ignition on and start testing for power where there should be some. Work your way back to the truck battery until you find some juice. Rest assured nothing is broken, just a loose connector somewhere, and you've got a neighbor nearby who would love to find it for you. Be sure to invite him in for Easter Dinner!
Dave
Pueblo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We had a problem like yours, On the expressway going along fine our radio was off but all of a sudden the lights started flashing, then the dash instrutments went out, then the motorhome started losing power and slowing down. we were very lucky we was by an on ramp and had room to pull over. The RV quit and would not start again. As we had only had the New RV 2 months, we called Winnebago and they sent a wrecker about 3 hours later as it was a Sunday and on Father's Day. We were towed to a KOA campground, spent Sunday night and towed to a Ford Dealership on Monday morning. Ford found that the alternator electrical connection, the pigtail and alternator were burned up, the problem was because a nut was lose or cross threaded at the alternator connection, Make sure the connections are tight at the alternator.
Also the Generator wouldn't start yesterday, checked and found the battery cable connection was lose at the Generator. I tightened the nut and then the Generator started right up. all ways check for lose connection before getting too shookup.
V&VRVERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Gary...if you have a freightliner chassis very likly it is the relay that is located above the passenger side frame rail about opposite the transmission. You can only see it underneath by following the red wire from the chassis battery.It is the one at the rear of the mounting board (3 relays on this board)towards the rear of the motorhome and is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and has 2 terminals....one goes directly to the chassis battery and the other powers all the chassis control in the front electrical panel...to test just jump the relay or put both red wires on the same terminal....this is hard to find and you can see it from under the bed....
This relay supplies all the 12 volt power to engine and accessories....Ask me how I know...hit a bump on the interstate and lost all power....to travel till you get a replacement, keep jumper on the relay or tie red wires together.....Part made in Mexico and many failures per freightliner...get a spare. Hope this is it....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

That looks like the problem, I have it jumpered and can now start the engine and have power to the dash. Thanks, now I can tell freightliner what to repair.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Gary, glad you got this one identified so you can get back on the road.

This forum is great! I had a buzzing sound under the dash, and sure enough, a few forum members knew just where to look (vacuum leak in the heater control actuator).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Amen, this is a great forum.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We spent most of Monday at Baltimore Freightliner and they finaly isolated the problem and the chassis battery switch had gone bad. When the mechanic took it out the inside had melted. We took it of and bolted the wires together and we were on our way. The dealer did not have the switch and will send it to me and I will istall it myself. The relays were fine, seems this switch could not handle the current going thru it.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Gary...whereis the chassis battery switch located? RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

As you open the back engine cover it sits just below the coolent tank on its own mounting. The switch disconnects the chassis batteries if you store the RV.