Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-08-2010, 05:00 AM   #61
I helped | retired moderator

We're getting off topic here on a couple of issues.

Let's get back to the gas pump nozzles.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #62
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
FYI - I ordered a McCuff 10-28, but they are back ordered. They say it will be about 3 weeks before they catch up on orders.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #63
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

We're getting off topic here on a couple of issues.

Let's get back to the gas pump nozzles.

I did get off track here. Please move my remarks to an appropriate forum. Thanks, Joe
Old 11-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #64
Winnebago Owner

After reading through this string I decided that I wanted to create a solution building on all the contributions. We are heading down through California next week and wanted to go prepared. So I put together what amounts to an extension. Here are the components (all sched. 40 PVC); 2 X 1 adapter, 1 inch pipe (3” long), 1 inch connector, 1 X ½ adapter, ½ inc pipe (4.25” long). These are assembled in the same sequence listed. When the ½ in pipe is inserted into the filler tube it will hit the flap. The lip of the adapter will fit just inside the lip of the filler and the rest of the assembly extends just beyond the edge of the RV. In will support a nozzle hands free. I also drilled a 3/8 hole in the 1/2 inch pipe at about the same location as the nozzle. I suspect the flow will be slightly reduce because of the ½ inch pipe but still be sufficient and not overflow. The large adapter is the same circumference as the mouth of the filler tube so It should allow the nozzle collar to be compressed. My cost for this is about $2.50 for the connecting pieces – I already had the pipe and glue. I’ll test it out next week and, assuming I am successful I’ll post pictures.
McCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #65
Winnebago Owner

Even tho the autobody guy adapted our gas filler tube, just in case, I brought along: a hacksaw to adjust PVC pipe if needed. Spare pieces of PVC and 45 degree elbows. An adjustable squeeze clamp to hold back the rubber accordion along with the oil can spout, the McCuff and the metal piece with the slot cut in.

Did not need them.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #66
Winnebago Watcher

Last post was 11/9/2010. Has anybody found a fix for this problem. I have a 2008 Voyage and the problem is not only in CA but many states b/t CA and FL. I have to open my slide every time I gas to get past the lip that hang over my gas door opening.
darizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #67
Winnebago Owner

Someone asked for pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extension Pieces.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	34332   Click image for larger version

Name:	AssembledExtension.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	34333  

Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #68
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by darizu View Post
Last post was 11/9/2010. Has anybody found a fix for this problem. I have a 2008 Voyage and the problem is not only in CA but many states b/t CA and FL. I have to open my slide every time I gas to get past the lip that hang over my gas door opening.
Ya I hear your pain...Winnebago's have this problem...the factory is aware and yet no fix/recall has ever been started by Winnebago. I still have this problem, even after starting this thread. I tried the McCuff, no good and it is really not that helpful. I got so tired to holding the fuel nozzle open manually that I by accident tried something that works...I had a small roll of electric tape (you all have seen these..use on electric wire to tape them) anyway it is not a full roll but something like 1/2 to 1/3 of roll. I put the roll of tape on the nozzle and then carefully put the nozzle into the fill tube, keeping the tape roll up on the rubber sleeve...it works...I can then leave the fuel fill on auto and go off an clean the front windows. Remember to retrieve the tape roll before your finished using the nozzle. But if your forget it is not a big money loss.
Now we should not have to be doing this but the design build by Winnebago leave us no choice.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #69
Winnebago Camper

I don't understand why this is so hard. Looking way back at the assembly in post #17, you remove the screws holding the "bucket" to the side of the coach. remove the hose clamp holding the fill neck to the big rubber hose that goes to the tank, and remove the bucket and fill neck.

You want to design a new bucket that makes the angle more horizontal and moves the cap outward.

copy the pattern of the face of the bucket in some sheet aluminum. Find a fill neck off a vehicle that will work, that includes a bucket - like any pickup truck. Buy those parts from a junkyard and adapt to your new faceplate. You might have to add a rubber elbow, or have the fill pipe cut and welded to get the angle on the back side right.

Most of this motorhome stuff is adapted from various truck parts anyway. Some of the 2012 cars don't even have fuel caps on their filler necks any more.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #70
Winnie-Wise

This is typical California BS...! God I'm glad I moved out 25 years ago!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #71
Winnebago Owner

Stevegd007,

I have an '08 Sightseer and don't have this problem. I havn't read the whole thread but I can't beleive there are a lot of Winnebagos that have this problem. Do you know who else does? If so, do you know what year/model? I'll e-mail them.

Thanks!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #72
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Stevegd007,

I have an '08 Sightseer and don't have this problem. I havn't read the whole thread but I can't beleive there are a lot of Winnebagos that have this problem. Do you know who else does? If so, do you know what year/model? I'll e-mail them.

Thanks!
E-mail who....Winnebago? I did that years ago (see earlier posts). An got a big fat "cat-call"..back for my effort. Pictures, explanation of the problem, an my issues using these nozzles. Winnebago says it is California's problem...ya think what it would be if everyone had this problem, but it is just certain MH's...how many...only the owners know. Manufacture a product and then you have an issues putting fuel in it with only a few of your products an from one State only...ya just blow it off.

I have put this nozzle in the MH (many times) and started fueling, only to have the nozzle shut down with only a few drops of fuel in my tank. One time I just gave up and drove off to look for a different fuel station...only to have the same problem all over again, it was cold an windy an I was forced to stand and manually hold the nozzle open. I finally quit fueling with just like 10 gallons of fuel and quit for good...drove off to a station further down the road out of the wind and cold...there I still had the problem, but a least I was not cold. So... Jezz...now I just use my little roll of tape...it works. Thanks for the help Winnebago!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #73
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
E-mail who....Winnebago? I did that years ago (see earlier posts). An got a big fat "cat-call"..back for my effort. Pictures, explanation of the problem, an my issues using these nozzles. Winnebago says it is California's problem...ya think what it would be if everyone had this problem, but it is just certain MH's...how many...only the owners know. Manufacture a product and then you have an issues putting fuel in it with only a few of your products an from one State only...ya just blow it off.

I have put this nozzle in the MH (many times) and started fueling, only to have the nozzle shut down with only a few drops of fuel in my tank. One time I just gave up and drove off to look for a different fuel station...only to have the same problem all over again, it was cold an windy an I was forced to stand and manually hold the nozzle open. I finally quit fueling with just like 10 gallons of fuel and quit for good...drove off to a station further down the road out of the wind and cold...there I still had the problem, but a least I was not cold. So... Jezz...now I just use my little roll of tape...it works. Thanks for the help Winnebago!

Sorry to open old wounds there buddy, I was glad to hear you found such an inexpensive work around though. You know, just when you think you've got a crappy deal- there's one that's worse. I don't know if you've ever read RV Journal or not- but there's a column in it called "Mike's grins and gripes". In the Winter edition he talks about his Rexhall and what a poor placement of the gas filler he has (located inside one of the baggage compartments). I guess he stated that to put fuel in- he had to pull up all the way in the island to pump gas- then kneel down to unscrew the cap...he has top-hinged doors. Suffice it to say, no roll of tape will fix his problem!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #74
Winnebago Watcher

Did it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabago View Post
I’ll test it out next week and, assuming I am successful I’ll post pictures.
I know you posted pictures, but I had not heard if the experiment was successful. We have a 2009 Fleetwood Fiesta that has a similar problem with the California pumps. It surely would be nice if someone would manufacture and sell an adapter designed for motorhomes like they have done for motorcycles.
pglasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #75
Winnebago Watcher

I'm not gonna search through the entire thread to see if this has been mentioned already, so my apologies if it has.

E-Z Fill Nozzle Key :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

$8 is better than the $20+ for the plastic nozzle with the (most likely paid) "celebrity" endorsement.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #76
Winnie-Wise

Use this:

When a gas nozzle fails to stay "on" at California fuel stations I have a roll of 1/2 of an electric tape roll that I slip on the nozzle end an then place in to fuel my tank. It's cheap an works! Better than having the nozzle shuting off all the time!
Old 12-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #77
Winnebago Watcher

Opposite Problem

Ours is not so much a problem of the pump not staying on or in the gas tank as we cannot easily get it back out of the fuel fill area once we are done filling because it creates a vapor lock onto the fuel fill line.
pglasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #78
Winnebago Watcher

Hello 2009..........how you been?
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #79
Winnebago Owner

It worked..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglasl View Post
I know you posted pictures, but I had not heard if the experiment was successful. We have a 2009 Fleetwood Fiesta that has a similar problem with the California pumps. It surely would be nice if someone would manufacture and sell an adapter designed for motorhomes like they have done for motorcycles.
I made the extension in anticipation of having an issue while traveling through California. Lucky for me I did not have an issue. I tested my creation before we headed south and it did work. I use it now for adding fuel stabilizer for the winter and for my car when I want to add gas from a 2.5 gal. gas can.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #80
Winnebago Owner

Feb 2016 MOTORHOME mag has an article on 2016 Winne Sightseer 36Z.

"Really, the only thing we had an issue with on the test coach was the fuel filler, which is placed on a severe upward angle that simply won't allow a California emission controlled nozzle to fit. Hopefully this problem was limited to our unit, but if not, we hope Winnebago will rectify this"

Hard to believe..........