Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Mattress replacement advice

Since we got our rig, about 5 years ago, we have not been happy with our mattress. Once the numbers start to show on the air pump control the bed goes from hard to rock hard. I wake at night with shoulder and hip pain. My wife complains of her limbs falling asleep. We need a good, cool sleeping and much softer mattress. Please post your experiences with mattresses and what you find the most comfortable. Thanks, all, for sharing.
Rick
Old 07-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Team

We removed our "Ideal Rest" inflatable mattress and replaced it with a "Leesa" mattress. It's one of those foam mattresses in a box. We bought the "California King" size which is about 2" too long but is the correct width. If you get a regular king it's 2" too wide but the right length.

We had to remove the 2" foam pad attached to the wall just below the headboard. So, everything fits fine. We also removed the headboard and replaced it with vinyl wood-look wall planks. We didn't like the headboard that came with the RV.

Lastly, the two sconce lights on the wall behind the bed were a tiny tiny bit in the way as the mattress folds up on the power folding bed. So, I moved the lamps 3/4" higher on the wall. All of this was very easy. Those items and only held in with a few small wood screws.

We really like the Leesa - though I will say sitting on the hard plywood platform it is a bit on the firm side.

But it's much better than the air mattress. We hated that thing from day one.

PS. Almost all of the mattress in a box companies - Leesa, Casper, Purple, etc, etc, have 90-night guarantees. Buy it and if you don't like it they'll pick it up at your house and give you all of your money back. (In reality they don't take it back, they donate it to charity).

Photos of the Wood plank wall and the Leesa Mattress before we did the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leesa.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	169920   Click image for larger version

Name:	leesa2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	169921  

Old 07-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
Itasca owner

You mention the numbers not showing on the control. Sounds like a Sleep Number bed? Many have had the faded number issue. There is info on Youtube to try and fix it but I finally just got a whole new pump and control assy from SN for less than $100. You have to tell them you have the faded numbers. Also the new controllers are wireless.

Sorry if this isn't your problem, just thought I'd chime in.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Following - we're not pleased with our inflatable either - searching for something better. Know of 4 other owners that will switch tomorrow if the right product can be found. Will contribute any info as available ...

Thanks Rick ...
Old 07-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybb View Post
You mention the numbers not showing on the control. Sounds like a Sleep Number bed? Many have had the faded number issue. There is info on Youtube to try and fix it but I finally just got a whole new pump and control assy from SN for less than $100. You have to tell them you have the faded numbers. Also the new controllers are wireless.

Sorry if this isn't your problem, just thought I'd chime in.

Wish it were. Liked the one we had in the '05 Vectra. Winnebago acquired Ideal Rest, which is now InnoMax, several years ago. They now supply the air beds for Winnebago products.
The mattress is not only too hard, it is too warm. I am looking for a reasonably priced cool, plush mattress. There must be some first hand experience to be voiced among the RVers of this forum.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Site Team

When I did mine there was one other guy that did the same as I did and he bought the Casper mattress. It comes in a box so it's easy to install. And you'll be shocked by the weight and complexity of the Ideal Rest mattress. Removing it didn't create any space under the bed either. But it's much easier to get under the bed if need be.

(It may have been on IRV2,com before this separate site was established.)
Old 07-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
When I did mine there was one other guy that did the same as I did and he bought the Casper mattress. It comes in a box so it's easy to install. And you'll be shocked by the weight and complexity of the Ideal Rest mattress. Removing it didn't create any space under the bed either. But it's much easier to get under the bed if need be.

(It may have been on IRV2,com before this separate site was established.)
I'v looked at the Casper. How do you like it? Is it firm or plush? Do you sleep cool as the ads promise?
Old 07-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Site Team

I don't have the Casper - I went with the Leesa. https://www.leesa.com/
I read a ton of reviews and went with the Leesa. It's very comfortable. Plush?I wouldn't call it that. It's very soft. It's very well made and durable. On a box spring or any non-solid foundation it's probably soft. Sitting directly on a slab of plywood I find it just a tiny bit too firm. My wife loves it. So, that's a plus.

I talked about sending it back for a refund just to try something else but my wife loved it so much I decided to stick with it. We've slept on it for about 70 nights. It's 10 times better than the stupid Ideal Rest mattress. That thing is horrible.

I don't think the Casper would be too much different. The thing we liked about the Leesa is that a) it doesn't have a memory foam feel where you sink in and can't turn over and b) it's made really well and the cover is great.

It is cool, but we keep our AC at 71 during the night so I don't know how it feels at higher temps.

If I wanted plush I might go for the Purple mattress. It's softer on the top layer.

We're thinking of either adding a down mattress pad to ease the firmness for me OR we're actualy looking at the FROLI "Travel" System. The Froli puts plastic spring support between the mattress and the plywood bed base.

By the way, there is no problem with these foam mattresses folding with the bed tilt mechanism. And as for weight, I can't weigh the Ideal Rest because it's too many separate parts but it's very heavy and certainly not heavier than the Leesa is. They could be near the same weight - I can't tell. Taking apart the Ideal Rest was easy and very enlightening.

One last thing - Innomax does make foam and memory foam inserts to replace the air chambers in your Ideal Rest air mattress. But, they cost more than the Casper or Lessa or Purple. So, why purchase from them again?
Old 07-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I don't have the Casper - I went with the Leesa. https://www.leesa.com/
I read a ton of reviews and went with the Leesa. It's very comfortable. Plush?I wouldn't call it that. It's very soft. It's very well made and durable. On a box spring or any non-solid foundation it's probably soft. Sitting directly on a slab of plywood I find it just a tiny bit too firm. My wife loves it. So, that's a plus.

I talked about sending it back for a refund just to try something else but my wife loved it so much I decided to stick with it. We've slept on it for about 70 nights. It's 10 times better than the stupid Ideal Rest mattress. That thing is horrible.

I don't think the Casper would be too much different. The thing we liked about the Leesa is that a) it doesn't have a memory foam feel where you sink in and can't turn over and b) it's made really well and the cover is great.

It is cool, but we keep our AC at 71 during the night so I don't know how it feels at higher temps.

If I wanted plush I might go for the Purple mattress. It's softer on the top layer.

We're thinking of either adding a down mattress pad to ease the firmness for me OR we're actualy looking at the FROLI "Travel" System. The Froli puts plastic spring support between the mattress and the plywood bed base.

By the way, there is no problem with these foam mattresses folding with the bed tilt mechanism. And as for weight, I can't weigh the Ideal Rest because it's too many separate parts but it's very heavy and certainly not heavier than the Leesa is. They could be near the same weight - I can't tell. Taking apart the Ideal Rest was easy and very enlightening.

One last thing - Innomax does make foam and memory foam inserts to replace the air chambers in your Ideal Rest air mattress. But, they cost more than the Casper or Lessa or Purple. So, why purchase from them again?

Thank you for all of this great info. The Innomax option is not an option for us. We had a memory foam topper for a while and that just compounded the problem. We will be in OR at the end of Aug so I think we will buy then. No sales tax.

I have read both pros and cons on the Casper. Leesa and Purple. The major cons seems to be longevity and first out of the box expansion problems. I hope I can hear from more folks on this topic. But, I am glad to hear of your success. The Froli system is another add-on option I have already considered when we get a new mattress.

Sweet dreams on your happy trails.
Rick
Old 07-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Unless you're a full timer, a mattress in an RV isn't going to receive anywhere near the level of use that it would at home, so longevity related to use, not age, shouldn't be a problem.

This wouldn't be an issue for most people but many, if not most, available mattresses are thicker than what came with your RV, raising the bed height significantly. This can be either an advantage or disadvantage for those with mobility issues.

A thick, memory foam mattress could be too heavy for the gas struts that support your bed top when open. Until I decide what to do, I'm just using a stick since I don't store much under the mattress.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Unless you're a full timer, a mattress in an RV isn't going to receive anywhere near the level of use that it would at home, so longevity related to use, not age, shouldn't be a problem.

This wouldn't be an issue for most people but many, if not most, available mattresses are thicker than what came with your RV, raising the bed height significantly. This can be either an advantage or disadvantage for those with mobility issues.

A thick, memory foam mattress could be too heavy for the gas struts that support your bed top when open. Until I decide what to do, I'm just using a stick since I don't store much under the mattress.
Yup. Full-timer. Best job I have ever paid to do. A good mattress is very important to us.
The mattress in my rig is a standard queen size and 10" thick, including the 2" plush topper. The topper adding was a hope for better comfort. No shush luck.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Have a sleep number bed in our coach(Itasca Suncruiser 38T). We find apart from the occasional self minded change after periods of unuse, the unit functions very well; comfortable and we get a better sleep than at home!
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Since we got our rig, about 5 years ago, we have not been happy with our mattress. Once the numbers start to show on the air pump control the bed goes from hard to rock hard. I wake at night with shoulder and hip pain. My wife complains of her limbs falling asleep. We need a good, cool sleeping and much softer mattress. Please post your experiences with mattresses and what you find the most comfortable. Thanks, all, for sharing.
Rick
We bought a quality memory foam topper and put it on top of the mattress and under the fitted sheets. Its much softer and better ever since.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I replaced the mattress with the same one I got for the house. It has made a ton of difference. Since it is the same there is no difference in our sleeping pattern other than the dogs and I sleep on the opposite sides when in the rv and throws the pug off a bit. I tried those foam mattresses and just could not get comfortable with my back issues so getting the same bed for both house and rv made it worthwhile.
kwajkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We are fulltimers in our '12 Journey 42E. The knock-off sleep number style bed was awful! I made it almost a month before adding 4" of memory foam from Costco. About 3 months later we spent big $$ and had a custom made mattress done for us. Since we have a good 11" foam mattress, which needed to bend to go up the wall, the manufacturer made a separate 18" piece we could use across the top of the bed. We lift it to avoid stress of the mattress weight on the wimpy motor they put in to lift the bed. This mattress has lived about the time they told us it would, but I still use the extra memory foam pad. It can get hot at times, but only bothers me in hotter weather. Just trying to survive! Wouldn't ever want the pull up bed situation again, just because of mattress challenges! We don't believe there are perfect coaches, or houses, but ours is our home and we are thankful!
mrskron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajkat View Post
I replaced the mattress with the same one I got for the house. It has made a ton of difference. Since it is the same there is no difference in our sleeping pattern other than the dogs and I sleep on the opposite sides when in the rv and throws the pug off a bit. I tried those foam mattresses and just could not get comfortable with my back issues so getting the same bed for both house and rv made it worthwhile.
Good idea!

Also, it seems like the Sleep Number beds, and the like, seem to be a love em or hate em kind of thing. I've never had one so have no opinion one way or another, other than to be skeptical about being dependent on it not leaking and having everything function properly while on a trip away from home. The idea of adjusting the two sides (the dog wants three sections) separately does, however, have merit.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Go with Sleep Number

We had the same experience with the air bed that came from the factory. We love our Sleep Number bed at home so I thought I would see if they had one that would fit our Forza 34T. Turns out they have a line of beds just for RVs. We even found that you can buy them much cheaper through Camping World. Very comfy beds that adjust quickly and easily. Just remember to lower the setting to 10 before going to elevation. Once at elevation lay on the bed and take each side to 100 then back down to desired setting.
ADArv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Good idea!

Also, it seems like the Sleep Number beds, and the like, seem to be a love em or hate em kind of thing. I've never had one so have no opinion one way or another, other than to be skeptical about being dependent on it not leaking and having everything function properly while on a trip away from home. The idea of adjusting the two sides (the dog wants three sections) separately does, however, have merit.
I just have a regular bed. At home I have an adjustable bed frame which I wish I could have in the rv as well but that would require taking out the platform and storage unit below (in and outside) so not worth it.
kwajkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #19
Retired Sailor and Wench

Creativepart - We recently bought a 2013 Adventurer 37F and have yet to sleep in the King bed in the coach. It appears to have an inflatable bed in the bedroom slideout. Is this the same mattress you were describing?
Tailhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We had the same problem with our 2016 Journey. Even though it was new when we bought it, neither my wife or I liked it. It was a king size and left no room on the sides and made it difficult to make plus the pump didn't seem to work right. We replaced it with a queen Purple mattress (Purple.com) and love it so much we bought one for our house. We also cut down the base to fit the queen and now have plenty of room along the sides. No more backaches either.
Cherokee9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, advice