Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Rendon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pass Christian, MS
Posts: 22
Queen size mattress

Can anyone tell me if a regular queen size memory foam mattress will fit an RV queen size platform? If not, any suggestions where to get a good deal on an RV memory foam mattress? I just bought my memory foam mattress two years ago and will be downsizing to live in my RV full time. I don't want to sleep on anything but a memory foam. I love them!
Thanks!
Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Depends on whether you have an RV Queen or a real Queen in your rig. Measure the present bed or platform, then your memory foam bed.

If your RV bed platform is smaller than the mattress, take the mattress to a foam place. They have the equipment to properly and cleanly cut a foam mattress to whatever size you want. Google "foam mattress cutting" along with your nearest large city/town.
No More Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
Luckiest Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 123
I believe that most RV queens are a bit smaller than one that fits in the house. However, getting out the measuring tape is in order. Chances are the platform will be a bit shorter and the mattress will hang over taking more of the floor space available and also make it harder to tuck the sheets under.
__________________
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17
Ours is a little bit shorter than a real queen and we too refuse to sleep in anything that doesn't have the memory foam. We ordered a thick memory foam pad for the RV queen, and to be honest it's a lot more comfortable than our $4k home mattress.
__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
dnystrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 178
We had those air beds in the bedroom and I just hated it! Replaced it with a "short queen" that had to be ordered. The standard queen is tooo long and you cant get around it. The width is the same. So, see what is available for that memory foam.
Air beds have to be watched when traveling at high elevations as they expand the higher you go.
__________________
07 Meridian 34H 350 Cat
2010 Subaru Forester Tow
Home Port is Kingman,Az
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher
 
DavisK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
A true queen is 60" x 80". My old TT and my 5th wheel both have true queen beds.
__________________
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, mini Dachshunds
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 21
I think the true RV Queen is 60x75. Our coach has a house queen, and many we've also have the house queen. Its size is 60x80. a quick measurement will tell you which you have.
__________________
Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
StevenNSteph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: FullTime, North America
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
Can anyone tell me if a regular queen size memory foam mattress will fit an RV queen size platform?
NO, a RV queen size platform is shorter in length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
If not, any suggestions where to get a good deal on an RV memory foam mattress? I just bought my memory foam mattress two years ago and will be downsize
Memory Foam Mattress: Foundations, Memory Foam Pillows, Platform Beds | BedInABox
__________________
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
njs42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Federal Way, Wa.
Posts: 97
Dolphin LX 03 full queen, 60X80 just went in and bought a mattress from a store they delivered and took the old mattress. Easy.
__________________
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 227
I put a queen memory foam topper on my 5er and had to cut it shorter. Width was the same.
__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher
 
bvaughn4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Huntsville Al
Posts: 2
We put a full queen in our Daybreak replacing the RV queen that was there. Gave up a few inches of passageway but able to use std size sheets and bedding. As long as you have room at foot of the bed it should work. Got ours at Denver Mattress and it sleeps almost as good as our Tempur Pedic at home. You should be able to cut the foam with an electric carving knife if you don't have room for the full queen.
__________________
Bill & Pam
2003 Damon Daybreak, 8.1 Vortec Jeep Wrangler toad
Huntsville, Al
bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
Rendon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pass Christian, MS
Posts: 22
Thanks everyone for the info. I haven't picked up my RV yet, 2004 Itasca Sunrise 32ft, hopefully Saturday provided some of this snow melts! I will measure and see what I got. I know I wont be able to have any of the mattress hanging over the platform because with the slideout in, it is snug against the bed. I'm so looking forward to heading south! Everyone is so helpful and pleasant on this forum. Hope to meet some of ya'all some day!!
Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Master
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 697
I struck -out. I thought the sales brochure for your MH would list the measurements of the queen-bed, but no such luck.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper
 
camaraderie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 19
If you're getting the 2004 32V it has a 75" short queen as does the 30W of that year. The larger coaches have a full 80" queen

Here's the link to the brochure which you should find handy for other stuff as well! Bed sizes are listed on the floorplans.
http://media.goitasca.com/models/glo...unrise-bro.pdf
__________________
Cam... Georgetown 280DS 2015
Vespa Lx150 2013 Stella Auto125 2014
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper
 
inspector8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Catoosa, OK
Posts: 10
Talking Using full size queen in slide out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. I haven't picked up my RV yet, 2004 Itasca Sunrise 32ft, hopefully Saturday provided some of this snow melts! I will measure and see what I got. I know I wont be able to have any of the mattress hanging over the platform because with the slideout in, it is snug against the bed. I'm so looking forward to heading south! Everyone is so helpful and pleasant on this forum. Hope to meet some of ya'all some day!!
My last three RV's have had the six inch shorter RV mattress, when we bought them. We keep exchanging the short mattress with our full size Sealy Posturpedic innerspring thick mattress, we've used in our last four RV's. Usually put short RV mattress in unit we sell or trade in. In my current MH the mattress humps up when slide out comes in. So don't be afraid of a full size mattress in a slide out, especially if it is foam.
__________________
Tom and Jackie Bender
2005 Hurricane Class A 34N three slides Ford V-10
USN AMH2 1968-1972 Retired AA engine inspector
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper
 
Rendon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pass Christian, MS
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector8 View Post
My last three RV's have had the six inch shorter RV mattress, when we bought them. We keep exchanging the short mattress with our full size Sealy Posturpedic innerspring thick mattress, we've used in our last four RV's. Usually put short RV mattress in unit we sell or trade in. In my current MH the mattress humps up when slide out comes in. So don't be afraid of a full size mattress in a slide out, especially if it is foam.
I was wondering about that, putting the longer memory foam mattress in my RV and then it getting humped up with the slide out in. Is it possible that the mattress can prevent the slide out from closing securely?
Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper
 
inspector8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Catoosa, OK
Posts: 10
Talking Standard queen mattress in short rv mattress slide out.

If my thick innerspring mattress humps up with no problems I'm thinking a foam might no even hump up but just compress.
__________________
Tom and Jackie Bender
2005 Hurricane Class A 34N three slides Ford V-10
USN AMH2 1968-1972 Retired AA engine inspector
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. I haven't picked up my RV yet, 2004 Itasca Sunrise 32ft, hopefully Saturday provided some of this snow melts! I will measure and see what I got. I know I wont be able to have any of the mattress hanging over the platform because with the slideout in, it is snug against the bed. I'm so looking forward to heading south! Everyone is so helpful and pleasant on this forum. Hope to meet some of ya'all some day!!
You have a Sunrise 32V which the floorplan lists as having a 60X75" Queen bed as does the 30W . The 34D and 36M have the 80" long Queen beds.

See page 5 of the brochure:
http://media.goitasca.com/models/glo...unrise-bro.pdf

With the slide closed it may be snug however you may find that the previous owner already replaced the original mattress with a standard Queen. It's time to get the tape measure out and verify. Since it is technically unlawfull to sell a used mattress unless it is professionally sanitized by a credentialed service company I just have the dealer throw the existing one in the garbage for me and then pick up a new one at the wholesale club on my way home. A Serta Perfect Sleeper innerspring works just fine for me however they do have Memory Foam models at reasonable cost too. If you are heading South you may find a memory foam mattress a bit too hot after a long day out in the sun.

If you head South be sure to clean the road salt off the basement frames to prevent the heat from accelerating its corrosive effects. I have seen some get so bad you can pull off hunks of the bin frames with your bare hands so you do want to be carefull of those mild steel parts and road salt.
__________________
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
I was wondering about that, putting the longer memory foam mattress in my RV and then it getting humped up with the slide out in. Is it possible that the mattress can prevent the slide out from closing securely?
Most slide mechanisms are powerfull enough to destroy the frame of the driver seat and to rip the pedastle right off the floor so a foam or innerspring mattress is not going to stop it from closing unless it is caught between the slide flange and the sidewall. I would be more concerned about abrasion to the vanity cabinet faces at the foot of the bed.

Be sure to release any slide locking straps before putting the slides out and remember to have the drivers seat and other items out of harms way when bringing them in. My adult daughters tend to lean the windshield covers against the wall when putting the livingroom slide out pinching them between the flange and the outside wall.

BTW: Best practice is to put the slide all the way out before bringing it back in or at least putting it far enough out that the slide seal has completely flipped out before bringing it back in again. This holds true anytime you reverse the direction that the slide is moving to ensure the seal fully flips to match the direction it moving. That way you don't have the seal flipped partially in the wrong direction and have it get permanantly distorted or torn.
__________________
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:38 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper
 
inspector8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Catoosa, OK
Posts: 10
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Most slide mechanisms are powerfull enough to destroy the frame of the driver seat and to rip the pedastle right off the floor so a foam or innerspring mattress is not going to stop it from closing unless it is caught between the slide flange and the sidewall. I would be more concerned about abrasion to the vanity cabinet faces at the foot of the bed.

Be sure to release any slide locking straps before putting the slides out and remember to have the drivers seat and other items out of harms way when bringing them in. My adult daughters tend to lean the windshield covers against the wall when putting the livingroom slide out pinching them between the flange and the outside wall.

BTW: Best practice is to put the slide all the way out before bringing it back in or at least putting it far enough out that the slide seal has completely flipped out before bringing it back in again. This holds true anytime you reverse the direction that the slide is moving to ensure the seal fully flips to match the direction it moving. That way you don't have the seal flipped partially in the wrong direction and have it get permanantly distorted or torn.
I don't believe my mattress with bedspread over it rubs the finish from my drawers at all. Second slide out, with standard queen mattress, I've done this way and over 5000 mi trip last summer.
__________________
Tom and Jackie Bender
2005 Hurricane Class A 34N three slides Ford V-10
USN AMH2 1968-1972 Retired AA engine inspector
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help finding a new short queen pillow top mattress Marguerite66 Winnebago General Discussions 7 04-15-2014 07:35 AM
Full size Queen Air bed in Adventurer 38J swyates General Maintenance and Repair 6 10-29-2010 12:54 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×