Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 351
Lippert Leveling System and Jack Down light

Hello all...

I have a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE with the Lippert Leveling System (4 hydraulic jacks).

After the motorhome sits for a period of time (about one week) with the jacks up, when I go to start the vehicle, the Jack Down light will light as if the jacks are down. This problem has been occurring since I bought the motorhome new in August 2013.

I took the vehicle to the dealership and they replaced two hydraulic lines which they said were bulging. Thought they had fixed the problem until I started my motorhome the other day and the Jack Down light lit again.

This will be the third time I will have to bring my motorhome in to the dealership in an attempt to fix this issue.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was your solution?

Thanks
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 695
Low hyd, fluid is one cause. Another reason, if you have springs retracting the jacks, is weak springs allowing a leaking solenoid to apply pressure to the jack.
I would start by cleaning the jack pistons with ATF and wiping it all off afterwards. Then check the springs, if you have them, and replace any that appear to be stretched or have unequal space between coils when retracted. Replace in pairs.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
khogle2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UTAH
Posts: 40
I have the identical issue, as you described. 2013 37F Winnebago.

This is a Lippert system which is a different design, or somewhat different. Mine was worked on by the dealership all last summer. Of course the fluid level and the sensors were checked. Still unresolved.


Mine are fully retracted (or appear to be) when the "jacks down" light is on. The leveling also appears to work perfectly. My resolution is to let it go unless they get worse. I've spent enough time in the shop. Still covered under the extended warranty, but another reason the base warranty on these motorhomes should be longer than a year.


Edit: my build date was November 2012 and a December 2012 delivery date. I ordered it. I am curious what your build date is, coach build date actually.
khogle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
Jbmsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Apopka Fl.
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Hello all...

I have a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE with the Lippert Leveling System (4 hydraulic jacks).

After the motorhome sits for a period of time (about one week) with the jacks up, when I go to start the vehicle, the Jack Down light will light as if the jacks are down. This problem has been occurring since I bought the motorhome new in August 2013.

I took the vehicle to the dealership and they replaced two hydraulic lines which they said were bulging. Thought they had fixed the problem until I started my motorhome the other day and the Jack Down light lit again.

This will be the third time I will have to bring my motorhome in to the dealership in an attempt to fix this issue.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was your solution?

Thanks
Hi Ross
I searched for all the troubleshooting with the Lippert Leveling System I could find. Many have had the jacks stowed and driving down the road the light would come on but I couldn't find anyone with your same problem to get answers.
sorry.
I have the same jack system and if my coach is going to be parked for any time at all I level it.
I would rather it set on the jacks than on the suspension. I would try doing that for a while and it could be that your jacks need to be used more.
I have found that the manufactures of the products Winnebago uses are very helpful if you call them. They don't want Winnebago's customers unhappy. Many times a tech will help you troubleshoot or repair. They know the product better than Winnebago.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Jesse
__________________
You Only Live Once Travel!
2013 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Apopka FL.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Low hyd, fluid is one cause. Another reason, if you have springs retracting the jacks, is weak springs allowing a leaking solenoid to apply pressure to the jack.
I would start by cleaning the jack pistons with ATF and wiping it all off afterwards. Then check the springs, if you have them, and replace any that appear to be stretched or have unequal space between coils when retracted. Replace in pairs.
Thanks. I have checked the fluid and it is within the low/high fill marks. This system does not have springs. Appreciate the suggestions.

John
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by khogle2 View Post
I have the identical issue, as you described. 2013 37F Winnebago.

This is a Lippert system which is a different design, or somewhat different. Mine was worked on by the dealership all last summer. Of course the fluid level and the sensors were checked. Still unresolved.


Mine are fully retracted (or appear to be) when the "jacks down" light is on. The leveling also appears to work perfectly. My resolution is to let it go unless they get worse. I've spent enough time in the shop. Still covered under the extended warranty, but another reason the base warranty on these motorhomes should be longer than a year.


Edit: my build date was November 2012 and a December 2012 delivery date. I ordered it. I am curious what your build date is, coach build date actually.
Yep... definitely an identical issue. And, I agree with you that my motorhome has also been in the shop way too much, but knowing the system is not functioning properly drives me crazy. Plus, I don't feel I should have to pay the Extended Warranty deductible if the system breaks because of this issue after the base warranty.

My build date was October 2012.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 129
The jack warning lights and alarm will come on intermitantly while we are driving, we had it in for that because it operated like it was suposed to ( did not malfunction at the dealer) Winnebago did not cover diagnostic cost ( coach still under warranty) called winnebago owner relations said to send the paid invoice and they would reimburse us .We emailed winnebago a copy and have not heard back( as a side note over $360 of diagnostic time was not covered)
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Shellback1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 28
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Call Lippert they are really helpful. Here is a past from my manual.

“JACKS DOWN” ALARM
The Lippert Electronic Leveling System is designed to sound an alarm and illuminate the control panel in the event of two (2) possible
scenarios:
1. A “RETRACT” hose leaks.
2. The pressure holding the jacks in the retracted position falls to a approximately 1500 psi to sound the alarm.
If the alarm sounds and the control panel illuminates and flash while driving the vehicle;
3. Immediately find an area to safely pull the vehicle off of the roadway.
4. Set the PARKING BRAKE.
5. Inspect all jacks hoses and check valve for leaks.
6. If no leaks are observed;
a. Turn control panel “ON.”
b. Push “RETRACT ALL JACKS” button.
c. Wait until “JACKS DOWN” light and alarm are off.
d. Inspect jacks. If jacks are retracted and no leaks are observed, vehicle can be driven.
If system is leaking or alarm does not subside after applying the above procedure, disconnect wires from pressure switch and proceed
immediately to a service center. For prolonged travel to the service center, be sure to stop and check the disposition of the leveling
jacks every so often to make sure they are not extending.
__________________
2006 Damon Daybreak 3274 35' Ford F53 V-10
2006 Ion Retired Navy, FAA and PASS Union VP
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
khogle2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UTAH
Posts: 40
My motorhome had pressure gauges attached to the different legs of the jack system to determine if any pressure loss took place. Never did in the shop. Also, no leaks and everything appears ok. Definitely something amiss with the builds in this late 2012 timeframe. I agree on the thing being screwed up, drives me crazy too. Supposedly if the problem recurs Winnebago will pony up for warranty but I'm not too sure about that. I have a couple of other promised items (squeaky floor) that they noted in emails. They couldn't be duplicated either, later found out the floor squeaks only when the interior drops below a certain temp threshold.

My motorhome jacks also never leaks down while driving, just a decay somehow when sitting for awhile. My motorhome is in my barn with 50 amp so I am fiddling with it every day. I typically leave jacks down while sitting, so really didn't notice it from Dec 2012 when I picked it up until spring 2013. Half my warranty was gone when summer arrived.
khogle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper
 
SAWTELLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Monroe, NC
Posts: 41
We have a 2013 Itasca Meridian and also have the same problem. We have found that, after checking to make sure they're up, we give it about 20 min then hit retract, enter, and the light goes off and the buzzer stops! MH is getting a PDI at Tom Johnson now before manufacturers warranty is up and they are looking into the problem. We'll share any info or solution they find.
__________________
Sarah & Trim, US Army Ret.
Lindsay and Laddie-Paw Pals
2015 American Coach Revolution-Toad Nissan Frontier
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWTELLE View Post
We have a 2013 Itasca Meridian and also have the same problem. We have found that, after checking to make sure they're up, we give it about 20 min then hit retract, enter, and the light goes off and the buzzer stops! MH is getting a PDI at Tom Johnson now before manufacturers warranty is up and they are looking into the problem. We'll share any info or solution they find.
Thanks... Please let me know. Also, I have never gotten a buzzer warning, only a lit Jack Down Light. Checked it today after 7 days and everything is okay. The Jack Down Light used to light after a few days until two of the hoses were replaced.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Hi Ross
I searched for all the troubleshooting with the Lippert Leveling System I could find. Many have had the jacks stowed and driving down the road the light would come on but I couldn't find anyone with your same problem to get answers.
sorry.
I have the same jack system and if my coach is going to be parked for any time at all I level it.
I would rather it set on the jacks than on the suspension. I would try doing that for a while and it could be that your jacks need to be used more.
I have found that the manufactures of the products Winnebago uses are very helpful if you call them. They don't want Winnebago's customers unhappy. Many times a tech will help you troubleshoot or repair. They know the product better than Winnebago.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Jesse
Be aware that Lippert recommends wiping down the jacks with a silicone spray every 7 days if the jacks are left extended. In conditions where salt spray or mist is encountered they recommend wiping them down every 3 days. The pistons are not made of stainless steel like the HWH ones and are subject to rust and/or corrosion if left down for extended periods with out lubricating them
__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
audvid1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 53
We just had the same thing happen to us on Wednesday, driving down the freeway the buzzer sounded that jacks are down. Stopped on side of freeway and hit retract to clear buzzer. Went another 20 miles to campsite and just before we pulled into campsite, buzzer went off again, this time i was able to go out and look, and the front right jack was down about an inch.

When we left Sunday, just moved forward enough to hook up car, and buzzer went off again, retracted and made it outside the park and buzzer went off again. Stopped and looked and jack was 2 inches down. Decided before calling road service to see if i could find any loose hoses, jack hoses all tight, checked the hoses on pump and found one hose that was 1/4 to 1/2 turn loose, tightened that down, retracted and watched jacks and that stopped the jack from dropping. Made it all the way with no more issue, so we got lucky on this one.
__________________
Paul & Debbie
2013 Journey 42E
audvid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: York PA
Posts: 24
Our 2014 Sunstar 27N is also experiencing troubles with the Lippert System. I had a "Jacks down" light and when I went to retract got a "low voltage" error. Batteries are in good shape and it's now at the dealership. Hopefully, they will resolve this issue.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCruiser View Post
Our 2014 Sunstar 27N is also experiencing troubles with the Lippert System. I had a "Jacks down" light and when I went to retract got a "low voltage" error. Batteries are in good shape and it's now at the dealership. Hopefully, they will resolve this issue.
Lippert recommends having the engine running when either extending or retracting the jacks. The "low voltage" error will come on the panel when the battery voltage goes below 12.7 volts. Since a fully charged battery is only 12.75 volts it doesn't take much of a drain for the "low Battery" code to appear. When the engine is running the alternator charges the battery at as much as 14.1 volts. That's why Lippert recommends having the engine running

When you got the "jacks Down" light were you traveling or did you actually have them extended? We've not had a problem with the light coming on while traveling in our new motorhome, but did have that problem with the HWH system on our previous coach.

Our problem like many others turned out to be a hydraulic line in close proximity to a heat source like the exhaust system. Ours was fairly close to an exhaust manifold. It wasn't so close it was touching rather it was about 3" away. The heat was transferring through the line and causing the hydraulic fluid to expand. The expanding fluid couldn't return to the reservoir so it pushed a jack down slightly.

The jacks only have to move a little more than 1/8" to make the sensor think they are extended and turn on the light. Our problem was resolved by wrapping some foil backed insulation around the hose that was close to the manifold. I made the insulation cover an area about 12" long even though only a couple inches were near the manifold. By extending the insulation beyond the affected area I could hold it in place with a couple wire ties.

Once the insulation was in place the problem was resolved.
__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: York PA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Lippert recommends having the engine running when either extending or retracting the jacks. The "low voltage" error will come on the panel when the battery voltage goes below 12.7 volts. Since a fully charged battery is only 12.75 volts it doesn't take much of a drain for the "low Battery" code to appear. When the engine is running the alternator charges the battery at as much as 14.1 volts. That's why Lippert recommends having the engine running

When you got the "jacks Down" light were you traveling or did you actually have them extended? We've not had a problem with the light coming on while traveling in our new motorhome, but did have that problem with the HWH system on our previous coach.

Our problem like many others turned out to be a hydraulic line in close proximity to a heat source like the exhaust system. Ours was fairly close to an exhaust manifold. It wasn't so close it was touching rather it was about 3" away. The heat was transferring through the line and causing the hydraulic fluid to expand. The expanding fluid couldn't return to the reservoir so it pushed a jack down slightly.

The jacks only have to move a little more than 1/8" to make the sensor think they are extended and turn on the light. Our problem was resolved by wrapping some foil backed insulation around the hose that was close to the manifold. I made the insulation cover an area about 12" long even though only a couple inches were near the manifold. By extending the insulation beyond the affected area I could hold it in place with a couple wire ties.

Once the insulation was in place the problem was resolved.
Thanks hikerdog. When I went out to take it for our monthly 25 mile drive, I noticed the warning light. The jacks had been up in storage. This has happened in the past and I simply hit the retract button and all was well. This time, I got the error message and after charging the batteries I could scroll through the menu but when I would hit enter, the "low voltage" light would still come on even though it would register as 13.1 volts on the panel. The front legs are only extended about an inch so I wasn't too concerned with driving it to the dealer. Thankfully they didn't drop any further during the trip.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,079
Here's some information that may help in the future. I started a thread in February of this year when I had an error code problem with our jacks. The thread is titled "Leveling System Error Message". At the time I was attempting to retract the jacks. The error message came up and everything was locked up. I couldn't change or move anything.

Jupiter gave me the correct sequence of buttons to push to clear the code, and dengraham gave me the following link to the procedure outlined in a Lippert trouble shooting publication.

http://www.lippertcomponents.com/ima...sheet/0231.pdf

Note the 4th bullet point under the ATTENTION caption at the top of the page. To clear all codes all you have to do is:

"To reset all Error or Service displays, push retract and enter at the same time."

I searched the Lippert website for hours and never found this document. I'm glad others knew where to find it. It certainly made things easier to understand and diagnose
__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: York PA
Posts: 24
Again, thank you so much. That is in a much better format and much easier to read for me. I have printed that out and hope to never have to use it again.

The service rep did tell me that they might have to replace the control pad when we first purchased the unit. There was an error code that popped up when we were during the familiarization tour.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher
 
gdravis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4
I have the same issue. After Jacks are retracted and HPU is off, 10-15 seconds later the Jack Down light comes on. I need to pull the pressure switch connector to travel. The Hyd Tank is full. The unit is a 4 jack with one slide. I called Lippert and they thought the check valve in the pump has failed and I would need to replace the entire unit. HPU part number is 648480 with Mfg date of 08/10. RV is a 2011 Monaco Monarch 34SBD bought in June. Leaveling works great. Problem happened 2nd week out on our 3 week West Coast trip.
__________________
Greg & Shannon
Ilderton, ON Canada
2011 Monaco Monarch 34SBD
gdravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #20
Site Team
 
macnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 744
One trick someone told me is is to never turn off the leveling unit after retracting the jacks, letting it turn itself off. Since I started doing that, I rarely get a jacks down light in error.
__________________
2017 Adventurer 35P, towing 2014 Honda CRV
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leveling


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leveling jack goes down when it should go up TravelinMike General Maintenance and Repair 11 06-19-2017 12:20 AM
Lippert Leveling System Error Message Hikerdogs General Maintenance and Repair 15 03-16-2014 09:31 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×