Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HWH Jack Issues (Leak and No Retract)

02 Itasca Horizon 34HD HWH jack issues. So I've been wondering exactly where the manual return release valve is for is the jacks on each solenoid. My solenoid pack is under the street side slide on a 34HD. My Right F and Left R jacks will not retract without help from me. The Right R is fine. The Left Front leaks bad. (Need to check if the line is tight as the forum says, but I think it is from this past cold winter.) To get the jack's up, I can help them along by using my wood blocks and my shovel under the pan to push them up - but this is getting to be a pain in the butt. (btw, I have also slipped the pan off the a jack, and now I'm experienced in getting the pan back under the jack too!).

Thanks, Jeff
Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There is a manifold on the top of the reservoir. Each jack has a needle valve at the manifold. Just open the correct ones up and the jacks should retract. Be careful though as the effect is almost instant and you don't want to be in the way when it retracts
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Is each needle valve at each jack solenoid? Is it an allen head socket? BTW, when I put the HWH in store mode, the weight of the coach does push them up to the point where the coach is resting on its own suspension, but then the jack just sit there at that point.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
Is each needle valve at each jack solenoid? Is it an allen head socket? BTW, when I put the HWH in store mode, the weight of the coach does push them up to the point where the coach is resting on its own suspension, but then the jack just sit there at that point.
Based on that you need new springs. Order from HWH and then search on this forum for easy method to install them.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
Yes, one needle valve for each jack. It's a "T" handle on the valve. Be careful when closing them as they're an interference fit and you can easily ruin them by forcing them closed. Two finger tight is enough unless someone screwed them in too tight before you got it.
And yes, new springs may be in order. Ours are the original straight (not the newer tapered ones) springs installed in 2002 and still doing fine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And yes, new springs may be in order. Ours are the original straight (not the newer tapered ones) springs installed in 2002 and still doing fine.
Really, man when I slipped a pan, it was a bear to get it back under the jack (used 2 breaker bars) - it seems the springs are still very strong. I have the non-tapered springs like yours.

When put into store mode, isn't the release value suppose to open up on each jack? Also what does the rabbit (fast) mode do on the jacks besides cut in the air to air bags right away?
Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

So had HWH rebuild the 2 front jacks for $345. Local hydro shop would not do them. Also purchased 2 new spring sets - tapered. Got them installed today - not to bad but crawling around under the coach is never fun. BTW, I used a my trailer scissor jack to lift the jacks back up into the bracket and hold them while i bolted the plates back on - the worked good. For getting the new springs on, I used the 2x4 approach - about 3 ft long piece and a hammer. The paint stick chips is a pain in the rear. The self bleeding system on the HWH is impressive - they worked right away. Back in business - no more using the boards and the air system to stow them!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

jhanan
"STORE" BUTTON: This button will retract all four jacks at the same time.
"TRAVEL" BUTTON: This button will return the vehicle suspension to the TRAVEL mode when pushed.
If you do not push the TRAVEL button the suspension will not start airing up until the put the transmission in drive which makes for a rough ride for a few minutes.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
jhanan
"STORE" BUTTON: This button will retract all four jacks at the same time.
"TRAVEL" BUTTON: This button will return the vehicle suspension to the TRAVEL mode when pushed.
If you do not push the TRAVEL button the suspension will not start airing up until the put the transmission in drive which makes for a rough ride for a few minutes.

Yes, the travel button (the rabbit on the panel) is very useful in lifting the rig up by airing up the bags in order to get wood under the jacks in order to get them to fully retract.

Tags
hwh, leak