Old 08-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I am really sorry for the issues that you have faced with your 2000 Minnie. My situation has been the exact opposite of yours. Five years ago I purchased my 2000 Itasca Horizon from a good friend (the coach had belonged to his parents who had recently passed). I have to say, I did have to do some initial maintenance on the coach as it had been parked for nearly 2 years, but I have not encountered the type of quality issues you have faced.

I had no idea of what I was doing when I purchased this coach but with the help of the many of the members of this forum I have learned volumes and have had the courage to tackle many upgrade projects on my own. Over the last few years, I have removed the carpet and put down laminate flooring, remodeled the bathroom, converted the 2 12 volt house batteries to 4 6volt batteries, replaced roof vents, resealed the roof and (thanks to smlranger) removed and repaired the VDC module.

Of course there have been times when working on certain projects where I have questioned some of the designs that Winnebego put into action, but I have never come to the overall conclusion that the entire coach is an example of "lousy workmanship and cheap materials'. I guess I look at it as my coach is a 12 year old home on wheels and as such is going to have ongoing needs, no matter if they are repair needs or upgrade needs, just like my 12 year old stick built home. Years ago I was a manager of a major boat dealership (small products such as Sea Doo's on up to 60 Carver Motor Yacht) and I can tell you that every one of them had issues of some sort, I guess that has led me to have a little more patience with my motorhome.

The one thing I will say is that in my 4 or 5 years as a member of this forum the vast majority of Winnebago owners that frequent this board are very happy with their coach and Winnebago as a company (in spite of their flaws). So, when you have a community of people such as this one that have all made significant investments in a Winnebago product and someone (anyone) comes on and makes posts simply to blast the company, it is only natural for some of us to become defensive and fire back (that is not what I am trying to do here). I would simply suggest that instead of coming on here and speaking of "Drunken monkey engineering and crap workmanship", why not just post what the problem is that you are facing and then sit back and wait for the many helpful suggestions you will get from the many users on this website. Every company in the world has its own issues when it comes to customer service, but no one here can help you with that. They can, however, provide you with good sound advice on how to address the issues you encounter with your motorhome.

I am not trying to "flame" you or create even more divisiveness on this board, but as someone who is a fan of Winnebago, I wanted to show my support for this company.

Respectfully,
GaDawgFan

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, replacement