Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

dash a/c "radiator"

Is the radiator that is in the propane bay for the dash a/c?

My dash a/c has not been up to snuff lately. I noticed the other day that there is a "whistle" when those fans kicked on. I just looked in there, the bay is really dirty/dusty. From my wheelchair, hard to get a look at/thru the radiator as it is mounted at a down angle. But running my hands over it, it feels as dirty as the rest of the compartment. I'm guessing that the whistle is when air is trying to pass thru and probably pretty clogged up.

What would be a good cleaning agent to spray on it? I can't really get behind it so will have to try and flush it from the front. Anybody else have to clean this out?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

On my Vectra with a Freightliner chassis the automotive A/C condenser is in the lefthand rear corner of the coach, but on your UA it does look like it's right behind the left front wheel. Page 159 of the pdf Parts Catalog for your coach shows what it looks like.

I would recommend using one of the biodegradable outdoor coil cleaners typically used to clean the outdoor condenser of home A/C systems. (Here's an example from Home Depot.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Your condensor should be located in the left rear corner unless yours is different from the rest I have seen. You can clean it with the same thing cbeierl suggested. Make sure you rinse all painted surfaces good after you clean. Mine recently did not cool well and I had a bad evaporator valve. Took it to a local auto AC repair facility and they cleaned it, changed the evaporator valve and put in a new fan on the outside of the condensor for 350.00.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Guys, my UA is on a Spartan chassis with side radiator so I knew it wasn't back there, it just amazed me that they would run it all the way up front.

Chris, yep that's it, thanks for looking it up. My propane compartment is the first thing behind L/F wheel. I will go get some coil cleaner.

Tim, I hope mine gets fixed w/ a $5 can of cleaner. Always wondered though, where I would take it, good to know local auto a/c shop will work on a big ol' diesel.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ok, got another dumb question; on pg 158 of that pdf, it shows the hi temp heater hose taking a "detour" over to the passenger side in front of rear wheels.

My water heater is there, do I have engine heated hot water? I've never read that I do, and have never tested for it, but can't see any other reason for the hose detour.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

McDuff - that is indeed your dash ac condenser in the LP bay. I've never cleaned mine, but would likely use Simple Green if I did ...spray on, let it soak a few minutes, rinse off with a hose/water.

And you do have "motoraid" on the WH. It is a simple metal tube welded to the rear of the WH tank, and heats the water as you drive. Unlike the gas coaches, we don't have the motoraid rear heater in the passenger compartment.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Paul,

I love these forums, I learn something new every day. I read all my manuals I thought, but obviously missed the part about the motoraid, gonna have to try it out next trip.

I can only hope that the dirty condensor is my problem, but I have been down many a dirt road lately, and seeing how that compartment is open to the ground right behind front wheel, I have definitely given it a good "dusting".
Old 05-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Dash a/c condenser

I hope cleaning the cooling surface of the condenser works for you. I just replaced the condenser and receiver on my Brave to the tune of about $750. Corrosion was causing high pressure on the hot side of the condenser so it couldn't cool. Works great now.
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote