Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I need some advice about installing a ceiling fan in the bedroom of our 2001 37G Adventurer. My main question is what do you attach the motor hosuig to in the ceiling? I would not think the headliner is strong enough, but it appears that there is seveal inches of space and insulation between the headliner and the roof, where I suspect the cross members are located.
Any advice would be appreciated.
SeaRay
I saw some post from a couple of years back but hey did not say what or how they mounted the fan motor housing to the ceiling.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I need some advice about installing a ceiling fan in the bedroom of our 2001 37G Adventurer. My main question is what do you attach the motor hosuig to in the ceiling? I would not think the headliner is strong enough, but it appears that there is seveal inches of space and insulation between the headliner and the roof, where I suspect the cross members are located.
Any advice would be appreciated.
SeaRay
I saw some post from a couple of years back but hey did not say what or how they mounted the fan motor housing to the ceiling.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:47 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You might be able to use a "stud finder" and detect where internal braces are... But why not give Winnie Customer Service a call? They could tell or send you specs on where the braces are located for your specific coach.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a question? Is there enough ceiling height to install a ceiling fan. I have a 35U and would love to put one in, but I cant see where I have enough height.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Cap'n, if you can gain access to a Journey (friend or dealer) with a fan, maybe you can compare ceiling heights, clearances etc. with your coach. My Bro.in Laws Journey came with a fan from the factory..I thought about installing one in my 04 33V Adv., but have found that by running the "Fantastic Fan" in the bath, and opening the windows at the head of the bed (with the rest of the coach closed up, a very nice inflow of fresh air, and cross breeze occurs..rgr..
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We've got the fan in our 04 Journey and it's a joke! It's mounted so close to the ceiling that it can't move any air. In addition, the blades are out of balance so that runing it any faster than slow makes it wobble, and it's noisey Even with the "close to ceiling" mounting, I've still stuck my hands into it twice. Go with RGR's advice and use the window.

One '04 Journey 34' w/350 CAT
Barney B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Well, everything ison hold as I discovered when I opened the fan box that the hardware to attach the blades was missing.
Winnebago was not much help, but did tell me how the ceiling was constructed so I think I know a way to mount it using toggle bolts.
The cold night air bothers my wife's sinuses so we need inside air. The fan is over the center of the bed so we should not run into it unless we try to stand up in the bed, God forbid!
Will keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestions.
SeaRay

Old 04-19-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The bedroom ceiling fan that comes on the Winnebago Journey is a really cheap contraption. I am now on my second fan motor and it still makes too much noise for sleeping. It is a little more quiet when the blades are adjusted to direct air upward which does provide a little air distribution but not a lot. Looks to me like Winnebago could install something like a Hunter fan which does provide some quality.
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I dont think I will attempt to install a ceiling fan. We presently have a couple of 9" oscillating table fans stored under the bed that we use. I will try the bath fan, open window suggestion sometime.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Well I have an update and a happy ending. I called CW and told them the fan was missing the screws and nuts to assemble it. The CW agent got the manufacturer on the line with us an he overnighted the package to me. I got the fan up and it works great. It is very quiet and we have to run on low at night because it moves a good bit of air. There is no wobble at all, which surprised me since I have put several in our houses in the past and most of them wobbled. It has an infared remote which turns it on and off and controls the speeds so it is really nice to use when lying in bed.
Sounds like the aftermarket fans are better than what comes from the factory.
Thanks for everyones' input.
SeaRay
Old 04-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

SeaRay

Could you give the make and model number of the fan you used? Since it's quiet and seems to work, I might up grade my factory fan. Mine is noisy and doesn't do a very good job, just like the others have reported.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

CalTex
Sure, it is item # 22146 at CW.$134.10 plus shipping. It is not carried in the store, you have to order it. You can get all white or brass and white, which is what we got.
It has a wireless remote which is handy.
Good Luck
SeaRay