Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

What about the slide awnings??

We had the living room slide awning, 14 foot, unroll about 2 feet in Kansas and had to stop, extend slide and put it back in to re position the awning. Used bungee cord to secure until we got out of the heavy winds.

Anything out there for the slide topper awnings??

I think they would come out just as easy as the regular awning.

Thanks,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Good discussion, but unclear regarding use with electric units. Has anyone had a Weather Pro or other "automatic" awning unfurl?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Guess I better get one cause I obviously living on borrowed time. Maybe I should get an awning clamp of some sort!

I been driving motorhomes with manual awnings on them for the past 25 years, sometimes in what I would consider severe winds. To date never had an awning come loose or unfurl. The awning on our Safari had 16 years of continual use. I have always taken great care to make sure it is stowed correctly with all the knobs, handles, clips, levers and etc. set and tight.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for all the good tips and advice.

As usual the quick responses and information are great.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Got this solution off the Discovery Owner's site. You just use your awning rod to latch and unlatch the holders.

I also added a center support... a 20' awning will sag and/or bend over time.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daysu47:
What about the slide awnings??

We had the living room slide awning, 14 foot, unroll about 2 feet in Kansas and had to stop, extend slide and put it back in to re position the awning. Used bungee cord to secure until we got out of the heavy winds.

Anything out there for the slide topper awnings??

I think they would come out just as easy as the regular awning.

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which brand topper do you have? The A&E have a small arm mounted to one end of the roller and a stop block that gets installed on the sidewall of the rig that is pretty effective at preventing unfurling when your slide is closed. It works automatically.

The arm or stop block may have fallen off or not been installed properly. It is also possible that the slide may have started to open while you were driving.

Any other type of lock on the slide topper would be pretty unforgiving if you forgot to unlatch it and tried to extend the slide.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

The pics from Oemtech are what I use. The hook and eye are a Zip Dee product to be used with any awning with a metal cover. Simple to install only mine doesn't have the square tubing spacer under it. Wish I had thought of that when I installed mine. As per Zip Dee this lock needs to be installed about a foot forward of the rear arm.
On the slideout awnings, one of mine started unrolling recently even with the arms locked. Carefree Omega. What happened is the tension spring came apart. Used bungee cords from the external locks to the bottom of the arms. Our 8yr old coach with Carefree has had 3 springs break this summer, each end of the patio and the slidetopper. All three have been repaired and have a spare spring for the front slide, just a matter of time.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I installed the awning clamp last year and feel that it works great.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

Old 01-11-2009, 05:38 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

RAINBOW: I can completely concur with your awning saver. I made one about 8 years ago after losing an awning to heavy winds. I do not have the crook in mine, I use a coiled spring to the awning foot, but actually no different. I haven't had a problem with awnings since. So simple and yet so effective.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I had my awning blow out and tear while in a campsite with the awning stowed inproperly (my maiden voyage) while we had left for a concert. Neighbor saw it happen when a squall line went through and he caught it before it shredded totally. Still too late and had to replace the whole unit. Thank goodness for insurance. I hadn't flipped the wing locks properly and now I also know to lift up on the arms as my last step when stowing to activate the latches and hear them click into place. And after reading all of these horror stories, I am going to add a lock device. I have a A&E 9000.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote