Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2019, 05:40 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife View Post
Went to a nearby town and looked at uhaul trailers and dollys. It said on the dolly to remove the driveshaft on 4x4s, so u were correct. Now, I wonder how big of a tire the harness can handle. I have 33s. The place just closed when I showed up...

It depends on the 4X4. Newer Automatics with full time 4 Wheel Drive/All Wheel Drive are a real big problem however old school 2H/4H/4L/N are not so bad. The old full time Jeep QuadraTrack could be a problem too. My old Power Wagon W200 E20 Special was set up with a PTO on the transfer case for running an Engine Driven Winch so it was put the transfer case into neutral, disengage the front hubs and drive off with it in tow flat or on a dolly just as long as there was good caster set on the front axle. The 4.78 gearing did not generate a lot of heat and the posi-traction rear differential barely got warm
Old 07-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
NO.

Only flat towed with TC in Neutral. DO NOT dolly tow your YJ with the front wheels off the ground and your driveshaft spinning.

Your best bang for the buck is the NSA Ready-Brute Elite tow bar. It has your braking solution built in, and it's no more expensive than any other quality tow bar. As for the tow points, our YJ has the tubular bumper, but we fabbed a tow point using heavy angle iron bolted to the top bumper holes.

The tow mounts that are part of your front spring shackle are pretty handy, and not very expensive. They will probably provide the most level tow.
Thanks for the links. So the Currie shackle replaces the shackles on the jeep. Only problem is I dont have stock shackles. Mine are longer... would be an easy hookup..
Old 07-02-2019, 07:22 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the links. So the Currie shackle replaces the shackles on the jeep. Only problem is I dont have stock shackles. Mine are longer... would be an easy hookup..
Contact Currie Industries. They may have a lifted solution for you!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:27 AM   #44
Winnebago Camper

I have used my tow dolly with my Siverado, Colorado, and now my Traverse with NO issues at all. Also use it with my wifes Altima.
One advantage of tow dolly is it can be used with multiple vehicles.
Also used with kids car and to return moms car to florida from PA.
Flat tow is not an option for me.
Trailer towing sounds good except for what to do with empty trailer at campsite.

just my $.02.

Also, i use magnetic mount lights on the toad just for extra safety.
kinda belts and suspenders. lol
Old 07-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #45
Winnie-Wise

From a retired Officer....YES, you have to have your lights operable on the farthest point.....your Jeep. One of the reasons for magnetic lights and electric harnesses for towed vehicles, whether flat or on a dolly.
Point being is your Dolly lights could be obstructed by the tow vehicle.
If you need a 2nd opinion call UHaul as they do a lot of dolly rentals and their manuals clearly state that it is the law.......plus common sense
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrrmmRydr View Post
I have used my tow dolly with my Siverado, Colorado, and now my Traverse with NO issues at all. Also use it with my wifes Altima.
That's all well-and-good, but the OP was considering the use of a tow dolly with a Wrangler. Unless the rear driveshaft is removed, the transfer case front bearings will be damaged.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
If you need a 2nd opinion call UHaul as they do a lot of dolly rentals and their manuals clearly state that it is the law.......plus common sense
Every tow dolly I've rented from them had lights at the wheel wells (on the dolly), and no other lights were required.
My son drives crappy vehicles. I've rented from them a lot.....
Not once have I had to use any other lights than what the rental equipment had installed. Pulled vehicles from out of state back home. Never an issue.

But again, the OP has been made aware of the fact that a tow dolly may not be right for him, and is looking at flat-tow options.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #48
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Every tow dolly I've rented from them had lights at the wheel wells (on the dolly), and no other lights were required.
My son drives crappy vehicles. I've rented from them a lot.....
Not once have I had to use any other lights than what the rental equipment had installed. Pulled vehicles from out of state back home. Never an issue.

But again, the OP has been made aware of the fact that a tow dolly may not be right for him, and is looking at flat-tow options.
Sorry, but it is the law. If there are lights on a vehicle being towed they have to be operational. The lights on the farthest point have to be operational. Using your train of thought then why would semi trucks need lights on their trailers when they have them on the back of the power unit?
Your local Uhaul apparently has not read their operations manual completely. They need to.
Also as the law reads "If the non-running vehicle sticks out beyond the dolly, it must be equipped with at least two tail lamps on the rear"
Now really............how hard is it to grab a pair of magnetic lights from harbor freight and not worry about breaking the law or prevent being rear ended? Could be the best money ever spent.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #49
Winnebago Camper

Toad

SaltLife,

Couple of things; You ARE already 40' as you said. Putting the Jeep on a dolly would make you LONGER than the Jeep flat towed. I towed my '87 YJ Wrangler with 33s and lots of lift, plus Loc Rite in rear and ARBs in the front from San Diego to Florida to New York into Canada and back to San Diego and never disconnected anything and never had any problems. Lastly, I think another site could give you a lot more accurate information as it pertains to your particular Wrangler. And that would be any one of MANY Jeep sites. They're the folks who know the nuts and bolts about all of the Jeeps and wouldn't be guessing on what might be best for you and your dolly. Good Luck.
dhuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #50
Winnebago Owner

Hey Doug... So u left the driveshaft in? I did see a YJ being flat towed. He said he had 40k extra on the jeep from towing. Apparently, he didn't disconnect his driveshaft. This was b4 we were considering a pusher.

I do belong to wranglerforum.com , they cover all the wranglers. Haven't been over there yet...

I do appreciate everyone's input and have read all the replies. Still on the fence, however...
Old 07-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #51
Winnebago Camper

The only time I disconnected the drive shaft was when I actually broke it in Moab and had to get a new one.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuse View Post
The only time I disconnected the drive shaft was when I actually broke it in Moab and had to get a new one.
So Doug, just to be clear, u flat towed?

On the wrangler forum they're all over the board..
Old 08-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #53
Winnebago Owner

Going with a dolly for now.

1st I need to fix a rear axle seal on Jeep. Lube all over the inside of the wheel. Hopefully that's all it is, doing both sides with bearings...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_112431.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	172083  
Old 08-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #54
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Going with a dolly for now.

1st I need to fix a rear axle seal on Jeep. Lube all over the inside of the wheel. Hopefully that's all it is, doing both sides with bearings...
Just as a note, a bad bearing will cause a bad seal.

Sometimes a bad seal is just a bad seal.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #55
Winnebago Owner

I need to pull the wheel off. Maybe it's just the wheel cylinder. That would be nice...
Old 08-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #56
Winnebago Camper

Sorry I haven't been back to you. Yes, I flat towed my '87 YJ. I had an A Frame Tow bar attached to the jeep which I left on all the time but I don't see much difference with the tow bar being on the jeep or on the tow vehicle. Sorry the jeep sites didn't help. Good luck with the dolly!
Old 09-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #57
Winnebago Owner

Well, my Jeep is down at the moment. The oil looks purty with metal flek. Found out when I was going to replace bearings, seals. Put the fix on hold. Heard the axle on the leaky seal side could be leaving the flek. Too much going on to deal with it right now.

The Chev truck I posted with the Jeep just needs the transfer case put in neutral to tow.

I see @VrrmmRyder dollied a Silverado. I wonder what the max GVWR rating for the vehicle being towed is on the dolly? It is my understanding newer trucks are too heavy. It appears my '11 is......

Tags
toad, tow, towing