Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hope somebody can give this newby to MoHoing, advice on a toad, I now have a 04 f-150 and a 04 expedetion, understand niether is very compatable to flat towing.( both are 4X4, automatics).
Have the chance to get a 99 S-10 6 cyl 5 speed manual trans, 4x4, to use as a toad, is this a reasonable choice and easily done? Not to interested in tranny pump or disconnects.

Thanks for any advice.

05 Sightseer 34A
rvdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hope somebody can give this newby to MoHoing, advice on a toad, I now have a 04 f-150 and a 04 expedetion, understand niether is very compatable to flat towing.( both are 4X4, automatics).
Have the chance to get a 99 S-10 6 cyl 5 speed manual trans, 4x4, to use as a toad, is this a reasonable choice and easily done? Not to interested in tranny pump or disconnects.

Thanks for any advice.

05 Sightseer 34A
Old 01-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'm not seeing the S-10 in the 99 Dingy guide that I found here

Check the owners manual, or google for it. It should tell you what is needed and if it can be done. What is the weight of the S-10?

For a Toad we picked up a used 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

One of the most popular tow cars is the Honda CRV because it is 4 WD automatic and ready to flat tow without any problems

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

If you have a copy of the 2007 Dinghy Towing Guide from Motorhome Magazine, the 07 Saturn Vue is on the cover.

Quite a remarkable booklet this year since it's a stand alone publication included in the January issue. More than a tow guide there's lot's of intersting reading.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:09 AM   #6
ymi
Winnebago Camper

Hi - we have a 2001 Ford Explorer with the AWD. There is a "switch" that we had installed that disconnects the drive system - I don't have the information with us now but it might work for the 150. We've towed the Ford over 10k miles with no problem but then decided it would be more fun to pull a Mazda Miata.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
ymi
Winnebago Camper

Sorry - I took a quick look around the various websites I have and the part only works on the Explorer - thought they might have been close enough...... the ref part number for Ford Explorers is: 1L2J7H332-AA for a regular Explorer; 3L2J7H332-AA for a Sport Trac it is called, appropriately, a "neutral tow kit"

I am not positive which years they fit but figure they make pretty good toads and there are many used Explorers available.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:10 AM   #8
ymi
Winnebago Camper

OK one last time............

http://www.blueox.us/Baseplates/baseplates.htm

here is the Blue Ox Site and the s-10 is listed there. There are some "restrictions"....probably dealing with lubrication within the transmission. My 1999 Miata is "not uspposed to be towable" because not enough lubrication is moved with the tranny (the gears need the engine running because the gear attached to the motor side "splashes" gear oil around. On a "perfectly" smooth road, if I never stopped or started or changed speed, it is possible that there could be a problem ....... but we have hauled the poor little beastie over 15,000 miles already and....... there is probably some caveat from GM regarding a similar issue. Like voiding the warranty - - on a '99 ???? if the pickup is cheap enough it might make a really good choice but maybe a Chevy dealer could fill you in on potential problems...
Old 01-07-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'd take a closer look at the F150.

Is it a manual or electric T-Case? If it is a manual case, you have a neutral position. If not, you might want to check with a dealer and see if they can add the mode, or if it is already there (Some I believe you push the buttons in an odd combination and it will shift to N.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for replies,the f-150 can't be towed four down according to owners manuel, dealership and ford blockman (friend of mine). Been looking at full box rangers and s-10s, with 6 cylinders. That way when need just the truck we have a place for firewood, bikes and etc and when we want play in the mud trips, I can load the wifes atv on the truck put it on the flat bed with my atv, and have the truck to pull the trailer with the atv's to the trail from the cg.

What worries me, just don't see alot of small pick-ups being used as dinghys, has anybody got experince.

This is a great site for someone new to this I have learned tons by reading the post here.
Looking forward to meeting you all down the road somewhere.

05 Sightseer 34A
Old 01-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

rvdawg,

Not sure if you were aware that the Dinghy Towing guides from 2002 to 2006 are available at http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/. The 2007 guide is in the January 2007 MotorHome Magazine. All issues list some trucks.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

You might want to check the gross weight of the truck, ATVs, trailer, etc. I think the Sightseer's hitch rating is 5,000 lbs.

You might look at the Jeep Wrangler as a toad. It will fit on your trailer with room to spare, weighs about 3200 lbs, and will pull 3,500 lbs with the six cylinder engine and a class II hitch.. No speed limit if you tow it four down and no distance restrictions.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #13
ymi
Winnebago Camper

OK RVDAWG - - one more I have been jealous of some of the people whom I have met who have indeed used pickup trucks as toads - most seem to be hauling their motorcycles in the pick up bed - our Miata was a compromise - almost a "side by side" motorcycle but usable in inclement weather - the pick up guys can do both as well.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:09 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Sorry old boy but most likely you can't tow the expidition either. Check you purchase equipement list and see what type wheel drive system you have on the 4x4, there are two types. One might be able to be towed (check with Ford) but the other is a diffinet no no. Then check your manual.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote