Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Advice on WD hitch for Minnie Drop

I have a new Minnie Drop 1780 that I am towing with an Xterra Pro4x. The dealer set it up with an anti-sway but based on my Xterra front end rising when coupled it appears I need a weight distribution hitch. Can anyone give me any advice or suggestions for hitch to get? Thanks!
WolfgangS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Weight distribution hitches are sold based on the tongue weight they need to support. You need to do some weights before you start shopping. How much does the tongue weigh with your trailer loaded?

The next question is, How far from level is your front end when the trailer is added? I would measure the wheel well fender height at the center of the front wheel.

As far as brands go, I like Equalizer the best but, to be honest, I haven't looked at this area for almost 15 years.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Weight distribution hitches are sold based on the tongue weight they need to support. You need to do some weights before you start shopping. How much does the tongue weigh with your trailer loaded?

The next question is, How far from level is your front end when the trailer is added? I would measure the wheel well fender height at the center of the front wheel.

As far as brands go, I like Equalizer the best but, to be honest, I haven't looked at this area for almost 15 years.
The actual weight on the hitch measured using a scale is a just a bit over 400 pounds. The weight of the trailer is 3500 pounds fully loaded with a full fresh water tank.
Actual lift measured right over the front wheels of the TV is 1.5 inches. I did some research on the WD hitches and read that if there was any lift on the front of the TV when the loaded trailer is attached that they would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Right now this is looking like a good option:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-EQ37060ET.html
Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

That would do the trick. Since it also provides sway control, you would be all set. BTW, you can install this yourself if you have the tools.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We used that same Equal-i-zer with our previous trailer. Its weights came in around the same as your trailer. We towed with a 2001 Explorer and I was able to get the front to within a 1/4 in of stock and the rear end about 1/2 in. I set the hitch up myself. To set the ball into the hitch head I paid a local dealer $20 as I didn't have the tools to apply the required torque and it was cheaper than buying them. I like the eq well enough that I bought a new 10K for our Micro Minnie.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
We used that same Equal-i-zer with our previous trailer. Its weights came in around the same as your trailer. We towed with a 2001 Explorer and I was able to get the front to within a 1/4 in of stock and the rear end about 1/2 in. I set the hitch up myself. To set the ball into the hitch head I paid a local dealer $20 as I didn't have the tools to apply the required torque and it was cheaper than buying them. I like the eq well enough that I bought a new 10K for our Micro Minnie.
The equal-i-zer (600 lb) hitch just arrived. I mounted the ball and attached the mounts to the trailer but still haven't setup up the rest since I need to do that on a level spot. I have a 600 ft/lb torque wrench and 1 7/8 socket as well as everything else to do the install. This will make me feel a lot better about towing since we live in the mountains here in Colorado and it's rare that we don't get occasional pretty strong gusts.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangS View Post
The equal-i-zer (600 lb) hitch just arrived. I mounted the ball and attached the mounts to the trailer but still haven't setup up the rest since I need to do that on a level spot. I have a 600 ft/lb torque wrench and 1 7/8 socket as well as everything else to do the install. This will make me feel a lot better about towing since we live in the mountains here in Colorado and it's rare that we don't get occasional pretty strong gusts.
I am in the Colorado Rockies too, and am about to acquire a 1780 ! I was wondering about sway bars - I will tow with a Ford F-150. From what I have looked at there is a sway bar system for around $400, and a sway bar / equalizer system for about $700. Your tow vehicle is a bit lighter than mine - did you choose the equalizer hitch with the big spring in it for weight distribution?

i was thinking about going without either of these, at least for awhile because the truck capabilities dwarf the Winnie Drop. Glad i saw you post though - making me think again.
duluthdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthdan View Post
I am in the Colorado Rockies too, and am about to acquire a 1780 ! I was wondering about sway bars - I will tow with a Ford F-150. From what I have looked at there is a sway bar system for around $400, and a sway bar / equalizer system for about $700. Your tow vehicle is a bit lighter than mine - did you choose the equalizer hitch with the big spring in it for weight distribution?

i was thinking about going without either of these, at least for awhile because the truck capabilities dwarf the Winnie Drop. Glad i saw you post though - making me think again.

Your F150 is heavier than my Xterra TV so it may be less important but I got the Equal-i-zer 600 lb WD hitch from etrailer for about $550. It made a huge difference in handling and allowed me to tow through some pretty strong cross winds in the rockies recently. I did a 1,000 mile trip to some canyons in Utah and back home.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Wolf - i ended up with a WD 1790, and the equalizer hitch. Glad i did.
duluthdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthdan View Post
Wolf - i ended up with a WD 1790, and the equalizer hitch. Glad i did.

Good choice. The Equalizer on my 1780 has been great. I have towed in some very gusty conditions with no issues. I really like the hitch.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Another Coloradoan here, with the 1780. Equalizer was on my final list of hitches, but I went with the Andersen. Sure glad we had it when driving through Wyoming last week with some crazy strong winds!
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
Another Coloradoan here, with the 1780. Equalizer was on my final list of hitches, but I went with the Andersen. Sure glad we had it when driving through Wyoming last week with some crazy strong winds!

I can't imagine towing in the mountains without a WD hitch. On any longer trip there *will* be some erratic and strong wiinds.

Tags
advice