Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anyone visit Lynx Lake near Prescott, AZ?

We did a poor job this year of making our campground reservations early, so I'm kind of scrambling.

In late august, we are looking for altitude to avoid the heat. Being near water is always good.

Almost all of my favorite campsites, and many others I found, are already booked up, and at least the "good" sites are unavailable.

I found a new one: Lynx Lake near Prescott, AZ. It looks like a nice facility with some hiking, near Prescott, at about 6500 feet.

The thing is, it's almost completely unreserved.

What am I missing? Mosquitoes the size of bears? Bears as numerous as mosquitoes?
bigfatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We stay there once a year but haven't been there yet this year. We like Hilltop campground and 2 years ago the NFS Prescott changed it to all reserve except 10 spots which are first come first serve.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What about Flagstaff?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
Site Team

Bonito Campground is all first come and it’s super nice. It’s about 10 miles outside of Flagstaff. All the sites and roads are paved. It’s a great spot right at the entrance to Sunset Crater National Monument.

Get there in the morning on a weekday and you’re very likely to get a spot for up to Two weeks.

No hookups and they don’t have a dump station, so that’s a draw back. Also no cell service. But otherwise it’s ideal. We spent 4-days there in May.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9FE333ED-9C5C-404E-9B38-80CE8678C055.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	734.3 KB
ID:	171735  
Old 06-17-2019, 12:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesaz View Post
What about Flagstaff?
Nice place to stop for gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

No hookups and they don’t have a dump station, so that’s a draw back.

I seek places without hookups. keeps away the crowds and the giant class A busses.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Dead Horse State Park outside of Cottonwood is also nice and there is a stream that runs through it. Full hookups. Being a state park, it will be somewhat busy but that time of year might be less busy. Good luck!

Al
Old 06-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAspect View Post
Dead Horse State Park outside of Cottonwood is also nice and there is a stream that runs through it. Full hookups. Being a state park, it will be somewhat busy but that time of year might be less busy. Good luck!

Al
Al,
If there are "full hookups" at DHSP, things must have changed dramatically in Dead Horse State Park since we were there two years ago. At that time, they only had water and electricity at each site. There is a central dump, near the entrance to the park, but, none at the sites. It is a nice park for sure. Like anything nice, it's tough to get into at better times of the year.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Scott,

You are correct...my mistake! We had such a great time I hardly remembered dumping my tanks on the way out! Thanks for keeping me honest!

Al
Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Prescott while much cooler than Phoenix can still get rather warm in the summer months. Fun town we love to visit but we take our RV to Williams, AZ. Higher elevation so cooler temps. We stay at Grand Canyon Railway RV park. A very nice resort. Williams itself is a fun small route 66 town. Several lakes for fishing near by. Bearizona drive thru wildlife park, deer petting zoo, zipline and other fun things to do in the area.
mileshuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I know Williams well, alhough i didn't know there was a deer petting zoo...

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #11
Just Ama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatguy View Post
Nice place to stop for gas.

I seek places without hookups. keeps away the crowds and the giant class A busses.
We love staying at J&H RV Park.. it is clean, great location, and the owners are super nice. They fill up certain times of the year, but they've always been able to put us up for a few nights when we're passing through and haven't made a reservation. I'd give them a try...
https://flagstaffrvparks.com/

And there is a beautiful RV Park by Meteor Crater (which is a great place to visit too)
https://www.meteorcrater.com/rvpark.html

Good Luck and Happy Traveling.
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #12
Site Team

Doug/Jayne,
We stayed at J&H in May and found it very crowded. The sites are long but there isn't much space between them. And the rules, rules, rules, everything had a sign with another rule. Even the picnic table said, no BBQ. The hand out they gave us had rules we'd never seen before. No kids, no smoking (anywhere), no speeding, no working on your RV, no ladders or getting on your roof.

Sure some rules are fine and required but no ladders? No working on your RV?

The place is popular so this stuff doesn't bother everyone but we just never felt comfortable there. Flagstaff doesn't have anything better really - not with full hookups - anyway.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #13
Just Ama

Quote:
Doug/Jayne,
We stayed at J&H in May and found it very crowded. The sites are long but there isn't much space between them. And the rules, rules, rules, everything had a sign with another rule. Even the picnic table said, no BBQ. The hand out they gave us had rules we'd never seen before. No kids, no smoking (anywhere), no speeding, no working on your RV, no ladders or getting on your roof.

Sure some rules are fine and required but no ladders? No working on your RV?

The place is popular so this stuff doesn't bother everyone but we just never felt comfortable there. Flagstaff doesn't have anything better really - not with full hookups - anyway.
They do have a KOA (https://koa.com/campgrounds/flagstaff/) and Black Bart's RV park (https://blackbartsrvpark.com/) in Flagstaff.. we've stayed at both of the, but even though J&H has a lot of rules, we still prefer staying there. We had plenty of room between our space and the neighbor's with our Phaeton's 4 slides all out. The only other place I know to stay in Flag, and we haven't tried it, is the Fairgrounds at the airport exit.
https://camprrm.com/parks/fort-tuthill-campground/
Old 06-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #14
Site Team

I don't doubt the J&H is the best in Flagstaff. It's unfortunate that the rules are so overbearing. We don't travel with kids, we don't smoke but we do put our Weber BBQ on the picnic table and since we had been in a hail storm the day before we got to Flagstaff I did want to pull out my extension ladder and climb on the roof. So, it felt restricting.

As I posted earlier we left there and went 8 miles up the road to Bonito CG in the National Forest and had a wonderful time. Quite the opposite experience. No hookups, but huge sites with probably 1/2 acre between other campers. And hardly any rules of any kind.

I'm sounding like I don't like any campground rules and that's not true. Just when they are out of the ordinary and so omnipresent.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
Just Ama

Quote:
I don't doubt the J&H is the best in Flagstaff. It's unfortunate that the rules are so overbearing. We don't travel with kids, we don't smoke but we do put our Weber BBQ on the picnic table and since we had been in a hail storm the day before we got to Flagstaff I did want to pull out my extension ladder and climb on the roof. So, it felt restricting.

As I posted earlier we left there and went 8 miles up the road to Bonito CG in the National Forest and had a wonderful time. Quite the opposite experience. No hookups, but huge sites with probably 1/2 acre between other campers. And hardly any rules of any kind.

I'm sounding like I don't like any campground rules and that's not true. Just when they are out of the ordinary and so omnipresent.
Oh gosh CreativePart.. not at all.. I think one thing most of us will agree on is that no matter what our 'tastes' and 'likes' are or aren't, there will be some place along the way that we can 'tolerate'. Some places are limited in their offerings, and sadly, Flag is one of those places.
If (Winnebago Owners Online Community - View Profile: bigfatguy) is towing, and doesn't mind driving a little bit to see what they want to see, there are some really nice places in Sedona and all along Oak Creek Canyon on the way to Flagstaff, and as others have mentioned, places in Cottonwood. If he really doesn't mind driving, there are also some nice places in Camp Verde.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Living in Flagstaff and being familiar with the various campgrounds, it is unfortunate there are so many rules...many unnecessary. But Flagstaff in general is this way. I won't go into the politics and such but I can tell you it wasn't this way 15 years ago. Some of these rules in the campgrounds are due to city regulations that have come onto the scene since 2010. I own a business outside of the city limits and can tell you the county is well on its way to implementing some of these same types of rules. The National Forests surround us and I would recommend dry camping for those who can. If the rules don't bother you, then by all means there are several options as mentioned above. Whenever in Arizona camping, we try to get into the State Parks but one needs to book early during the summer months and sometimes in the winter because of the snowbirds.

Al
Old 06-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #17
Just Ama

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAspect View Post
Living in Flagstaff and being familiar with the various campgrounds, it is unfortunate there are so many rules...many unnecessary. But Flagstaff in general is this way. I won't go into the politics and such but I can tell you it wasn't this way 15 years ago. Some of these rules in the campgrounds are due to city regulations that have come onto the scene since 2010. I own a business outside of the city limits and can tell you the county is well on its way to implementing some of these same types of rules. The National Forests surround us and I would recommend dry camping for those who can. If the rules don't bother you, then by all means there are several options as mentioned above. Whenever in Arizona camping, we try to get into the State Parks but one needs to book early during the summer months and sometimes in the winter because of the snowbirds.

Al
I know what you're saying... :( my brother lives in Flagstaff and I lived there back in 1971.. things have changed a LOT since the 'good old days'.
Like you, we like our State and County parks when we can get into them. During the Winter we cannot find any openings in the lower elevations, because all the Winter Visitors snag their spots WELL in advance.. and in the summer it's just plain too hot anywhere but the higher elevations. I wish our State and County Parks would 'save' a few spots for the people who live here year round so we could enjoy OUR parks..
Old 06-22-2019, 11:27 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have no problem driving, and we're definitly planning to stop by Prescott on the way up... we need to restock our mead collection, and the food is usually quite good.

Sedona is beautiful, but I dont' need any crystals or palm readings... and i've had my fill of Californians here in California. :-)
Old 08-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Post-visit review:

Lynx lake campground was BEAUTIFUL. Absolutely surrounded by dense trees, pretty lake within a quarter-mile hike, fairly level parking spot, and the packed-dirt "camping" area was, I'm not kidding, RAKED before we arrived. It looked like one of those Japanese sand-garden dudes was there before us.

The campsite was SPOTLESS when we arrived. The concrete table was even clean!

I'll be back, that's for sure.