Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

VA Builder

Just purchased our first Motorhome, A 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 33 ft./ 2 slide outs with Triton V-10 and 28,000 miles. The interior and slide out/leveling components appear to be like new, but it has been parked uncovered for 3 years. I am reading manuals that came with it and learning what to do to get it on the road. Generator Carb. was varnished so after cleaning seems to have been a unsuccessful fix I ordered a new carb off Amazon. I replaced all 3 batteries. A mechanic is now working on the engine A/C to get it cooling properly. I plan to hook it to my 240v 50 amp house current to test other components before we go very far. Water tank and pump is next on my list to check and disinfect once I get it home from the mechanic. I am writing this to establish a dialog with other owners and accept any advice anyone is willing to share.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi James, congratulations on your new ride! This is a great forum for every type of information you might need. I'm sure you've already been thinking about all this but I would first focus on the ride:
1) What is the date code on the tires? Replace if out of date.
2) Inspect the brakes and flush/replace the brake fluid (recommended by Ford every two years).
3) Change transmission fluid, engine coolant, and power steering fluid.
4) Change the fuel filter and air filter.
5) Change the hydraulic fluid for the levelers.
6) Inspect all the exterior auto lights (turn, brake, flasher, headlights, markers, etc).

Then inspect for any type of water incursion and seal or caulk as required - roof line, vents, especially the windshield, windows, etc. Also go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for any type of rodent damage. After that, you get to start on the million or so other things on the inside!

All this can sound kind of daunting but that is a great coach and will give you many more years of good travels.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I plan to hook it to my 240v 50 amp house current to test other components before we go very far.
CAUTION... doing this incorrectly or thinking that 50-amp RV electrical is just plain home 240v/50 amp is a recipe for disaster. So, do plenty of research.

50 Amp RV electrical is 2-complete separate legs of 110v EACH of those legs is rated at 50-Amps. So, it's more like two 50 Amp 110v service lines and not exactly 240v 50-amp service.

A mistake here can cost you all of the electronic equipment in your RV.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
CAUTION... doing this incorrectly or thinking that 50-amp RV electrical is just plain home 240v/50 amp is a recipe for disaster. So, do plenty of research.

50 Amp RV electrical is 2-complete separate legs of 110v EACH of those legs is rated at 50-Amps. So, it's more like two 50 Amp 110v service lines and not exactly 240v 50-amp service.

A mistake here can cost you all of the electronic equipment in your RV.
This will give you a start:

https://www.janeandjohn.org/docs/50a...stallation.pdf
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

240v 50 amp shore line VA builder

Thanks BobC for the advice, I plan to change the 240 to 120 50amp for safety sake. If I need more power I can always change it back. Power converter box is wired to split from 240 to two 110's if it is functioning properly, but I really don't need that much power right now. The manual tells me that the only time 240 is necessary is if everything electrical is running and I need full A/C power (both compressors) I will not be able to do that at a campground, so why take the risk to do it at home? thanks Again!
Old 08-12-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Bones 2003! I have the to do list and plan to follow your advice.