Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sunstar LX 30T; first Class A

We are coming to the Winnie Class A world from a very satisfying 13 years experience in a Road Trek Class B. We mostly did weekends with the RoadTrek, me at the race track by myself or her at agility trials by herself and only driving 200 miles or so round trip. We did very few 4-5 day trips so a Class A is the only way to go for us for cross country trips & anything more than a week.

Interestingly enough, we sold the Road Trek to a retired couple who specifically wanted a Class B for cross country trips. Unlike us, however, they have been joined at the hip since high school.

Anyway, we are west coast people, born and raised in So Cal, lived for 25 years in Eastern WA and have now been in Sacramento area for 20 years. We live up in the Gold Country hills now and love the absence of traffic lights and bumper to bumper traffic.

Here's another interesting story. We looked at Class A's for more than 2 years in anticipation of purchasing just recently. The wife settled on a Winnie first for general purposes, then the length and the opposing slides of the 30T. Of course, if we couldn't win the lottery, we also wanted a late model "gently" used one, preferably by the perfect previous owner, you know the older well off couple with no kids, no pets etc etc. who only put 4K miles on it.

She was on line with all the big RV dealer websites, looking at every single one across the entire country. We got an equity loan on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I said, "ya know, the FB Marketplace is actually pretty good, we should look there as well and what the heck, try Craigslist as well, ya never know what might turn up. Thursday nite she finds the perfect 30T, I mean, PERFECT, on Craigslist that was soon to become available. Now guess where it was..........Maine? Wisconsin? No, 13 miles from us in Auburn CA. We went down to the dealer (a very interesting guy, but that's another story for another beer) the next day and bought it for the asking price which was exactly our budget number and which we still feel was a screaming bargain. So, in a way we did win the lottery for time and expense and most importantly mental/emotional wear and tear of dealing with a rig that you haven't seen yet.

So there ya go, TMI I know. But hey, remind me to tell ya about Glen our RV dealer and now friend.............but I'll give you a break for now.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome, but you mentioned nothing about what you plan to buy next.
We've had them all, A, B, C. Yippee!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

thank you. I think I'll be here a lot for advice. I promise I won't ramble on with stories that have no technical merit.

Next? I'm 72, so hopefully this is the last one we'll buy.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:31 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Welcome and congrats!
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a