Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2023, 11:02 AM   #1
Micro Min - 2021 - 2108TB

Pros/Cons for the 2021 Micro Minnie 2108TB VS New

Greetings forum members, and Winnebago experts!

We are pretty serious on the 2108TB floor plan. We've looked at a couple 2023/2024's, but also found a 2021 we are going to see this weekend.
Besides the price difference between a used 2021 & new 2023/2024 (About $13-15K) the main differences I see is there is not an exhaust fan over the range top/under the convection microwave oven, and that most only have the 12V fridges in the 2023/2024's.

I know there is a regular ceiling fan close to the range, but is that fan enough to vent in the 2023/2024's, when actually cooking/frying inside the coach? I could install a Fantastic Fan in the ceiling, and I'm sure that would help.

Also, there are of course pros/cons to a 12V only fridge, VS a gas/elec fridge, especially camping off grid, but one just needs to monitor there batteries.

This 2021 already has lithium batteries, so I think that's a plus, but I will not be able to get the VIN on the 2021 before this weekend, so I will have to wait until next week to check for any recalls on the 2021. Does anyone have experience with recalls on a 2021, 2108TB?

Anyway, buying used vs new is always a thought process, and personal choice, but I am always willing to learn from others with experience on these topics.

Thanks!!
Camper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 10:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Camper1,
When you do a site-search for:
2108TB
you will find numerous discussions which may help you decide. I would mention my thoughts on two things:
  1. I really like a basic absorption refrigerator that runs either on 120 VAC or on Propane. They are very efficient and work well in the more moderate climates of the Pacific NW.
  2. I cannot understand how any RV can be delivered to a customer without a range exhaust hood. If you buy a trailer without one, I would work on getting one installed before I used the range/oven.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 09-16-2023, 04:35 PM   #3
Micro Min - 2021 - 2108TB

Thanks for the reply Eagle5!

Yes, I found some info earlier and just now found some additional specific great info to help in our decision.

I agree with both of your points, and thank you for the welcome.

I will edit my profile after decision is made.

Camper1
Camper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Welcome Camper1,
If this 2108TB has LiFePo4 battery, how many amp hours and how what charging system is in it. If it uses the OEM charger, that will work, but it’s not ideal for LiFePo4. I agree with @Eagle5 in that no rv should have a range without a range hood. I don’t agree with him about the fridge. If there are LiFePo4 batteries aboard with a good charging system (LFP profile charger and some solar), a compressor fridge has a lot of advantages over an absorption fridge. After 40 years of rving with absorption fridges, we are happy converts to compressor fridge. We boondock as much as we can. On trips out west that can be as much as 75-80%. We never have concerns about the fridge because we have enough battery and solar to outlast the number of days that our tanks can deliver. Without the right setup a compressor fridge is not suitable for boondocking.

Upside to 2208TB floorplan: You can sit on the beds with the slide in. You may not think about it so much, but once you’re on the road, you’ll be stopping places like rest stops, and some overnights where you’ll want to sit in the trailer without having to put out the slide. You should never sit in the dinette in the slide when the slide is in. Being able to stop and enjoy lunch or relaxation in the rv with slide in is huge. The 2108FB doesn’t afford that option. The 2108 DS does, but in involves having to raise the Murphy bed. We actually like the TB for that reason alone.

Downside to 2108TB floorplan: you lose a lot of pass through space versus a FB or DS floorplan. We’ve found that although we like the TB floorplan, we really wouldn’t be happy with a small pass through. We put our heavy stuff in the pass through in order to balance the trailer, afford the tongue weight we want, and keep our truck bed light. We would be over our tow vehicle Rear Axke Weight Rating, if we didn’t have the ability to load up the pass-thru. Also, I needed the pass-thru space to install our LiFePo4, hybrid inverter/charger and two solar charge controllers. Don’t know if I could have gotten all that gear under one of the 2108TB beds. Plus, if you’re old and fat like me, there would be no way to crawl into the TB pass through.

Some TB owners have said in cold weather camping, they get cold at night because the beds abut the sidewall and if your body touches the sidewall you can feel the cold. I dunno if that’s a biggie or if you can insulate your body from the sidewall.

Just some things to think about before you pull the trigger.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Today, I asked this very question at a Winnebago dealership ... can you sit at the dinette with slide in. Answer was ... of course! Can you please explain why its not a good idea. I've read elsewhere that you shouldn't sit or use slides unless they are extended but have never found a reason why.

Looking at 2108TB but the dealer had a new 2022 FLX model for same price. Seems weird to still have a new 2022.

Thanks - Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Welcome Camper1,
If this 2108TB has LiFePo4 battery, how many amp hours and how what charging system is in it. If it uses the OEM charger, that will work, but it’s not ideal for LiFePo4. I agree with @Eagle5 in that no rv should have a range without a range hood. I don’t agree with him about the fridge. If there are LiFePo4 batteries aboard with a good charging system (LFP profile charger and some solar), a compressor fridge has a lot of advantages over an absorption fridge. After 40 years of rving with absorption fridges, we are happy converts to compressor fridge. We boondock as much as we can. On trips out west that can be as much as 75-80%. We never have concerns about the fridge because we have enough battery and solar to outlast the number of days that our tanks can deliver. Without the right setup a compressor fridge is not suitable for boondocking.

Upside to 2208TB floorplan: You can sit on the beds with the slide in. You may not think about it so much, but once you’re on the road, you’ll be stopping places like rest stops, and some overnights where you’ll want to sit in the trailer without having to put out the slide. You should never sit in the dinette in the slide when the slide is in. Being able to stop and enjoy lunch or relaxation in the rv with slide in is huge. The 2108FB doesn’t afford that option. The 2108 DS does, but in involves having to raise the Murphy bed. We actually like the TB for that reason alone.

Downside to 2108TB floorplan: you lose a lot of pass through space versus a FB or DS floorplan. We’ve found that although we like the TB floorplan, we really wouldn’t be happy with a small pass through. We put our heavy stuff in the pass through in order to balance the trailer, afford the tongue weight we want, and keep our truck bed light. We would be over our tow vehicle Rear Axke Weight Rating, if we didn’t have the ability to load up the pass-thru. Also, I needed the pass-thru space to install our LiFePo4, hybrid inverter/charger and two solar charge controllers. Don’t know if I could have gotten all that gear under one of the 2108TB beds. Plus, if you’re old and fat like me, there would be no way to crawl into the TB pass through.

Some TB owners have said in cold weather camping, they get cold at night because the beds abut the sidewall and if your body touches the sidewall you can feel the cold. I dunno if that’s a biggie or if you can insulate your body from the sidewall.

Just some things to think about before you pull the trigger.
TexasDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

First off. Never believe a salesman. They know very little and will tell you anything.
Think about it. If you nailed a ply board to a sawhorse and sat on the board, what do you think might happen? The slide is cantilevered up off the floor and its weight while retracted rests only on the sidewall frame.

The slides are Schwintek, made by Lippert. Schwintek controls over 75% of the market for travel trailers, so the issue is not unique to Winnebago. You can do your own research on their webpages about sitting in above floor Schwintek slides while they are in. If you want to be convinced, watch this video:

https://youtu.be/itGeKF6yu1g?si=YfyBDOEFZc5OdEvl