Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2023, 08:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Newbie Outlook 25J with a leaky faucet

Hi all! Glad to be here. Just getting used to my Outlook 25J and have only gone on a handful of short trips but already have a leaky kitchen faucet. I can see where it's leaking but can't get to it - anyone know how to access the faucet? The dual sinks and cabinetry is in the way and the only apparent way to get there is to remove the side panel which has a bunch of electrical buttons on it.
cmzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We are not in a good shape to get specific when we don't know what year you have but most faucet leaks are fixed on the topside without going underneath to remove the faucet.
Is the ring that holds the cartridge loose or what part seems to be leaking?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 04:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for responding. I have a 2019 Outlook 25J. the ring that holds the faucet is loose - able to spin it around but no apparent way to get beneath it or undo it from the top. It appears to be leaking where the hoses connect to the faucet.
Old 08-22-2023, 05:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, I see the problem with getting under it to work the faucet as it looks like it is on top of the fresh water tank and likely other stuff as you mentioned.
There is a good tool to take a peek at different parts of the RV here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

It lets us get an idea of what is hidden in the walls and all those out of the way places!

Click this snip to get a better view of what it should look like under there.
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	187053

But that does bring up a problem about the leak. On the faucets I've seen, when they have two lines that go up into the center pipe with the big nut to attach it, those lines are usually soldered/attached up inside that center piece and a leak there is one, I've never found a way to fix as it is up inside!

So maybe be certain it is a leak from those tubes.
Is it at all possible the leak could be other places where it could be fixed?
One tricky leak can be water spilled around the faucet above the sink surface and work it's way under and come out below? Any chance of that? that might be as easy as adding some caulk at the joint between faucet and top, then tighten?

Or any chance of you seeing water at the joint where the built-in faucet tube meets the RV plumbing, rather than up inside? Any chance of reaching those two joints to verify whether it it a leak at the faucet or maybe lucky enough to be at the connections? Unless it has been really abused, those tubes at the faucet are usually pretty safe if not twisted or bent, etc.

Not worked on one of these, so just looking for anything that would let you fix it without having to do the BIGG job of getting it off!!

Can't say I have any better ideas but there is a tool to be aware of, if not seen one before. It is made especially for getting to the nuts on the bottom of faucets like this. Called a "basin wrench", they are lifesavers when needing to do that trick and about the only tool for that job.
Something like this is almost "required" for sink work!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Ba...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sorry! Remote plumbing is a tough one but maybe some ideas to kick around?
Old 08-23-2023, 01:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks so much, Richard, for the info. Much appreciated.

Originally, I took a look at the schematics on the link you posted - tho it gives no clue as to actually access that area or what's in it.

The leak is definitely coming from where the hoses connect to the faucet, where I can't get at. When the water pump is ON and the faucet is ON, it gushes out and to the bottom where it seeps out into the main cabin - not good. Plus, alarms go off when that happens. I'm thinking it's as easy as tightening and it should be good to go - again, IF I can get to it.

A bit confounded, as the RV only has 7500 miles on it and everything is pretty mint in it.

The basin wrench looks handy but not sure I can position it given the cabinetry - I'll have to look tonight. Will post a photo to give you an idea of the angle from beneath.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Photos: first one overview of beneath the sink and the second one, with my iPhone jammed as far in as I could get it, is where the lean is coming from: where the hoses connect to faucet at top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6183.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	187064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6189.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	187065  

Old 08-24-2023, 09:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ouch! I'm afraid you have a really bad one here!
Near impossible to get the body into position to do it?

But I took some snips to blow up so we can see better.
If I see this correct the second is in and behind the center upright of the first picture?
If it is leaking at the connection between the braided line and where there is some type cover over the line or even up above and IN the large tube, I'm thinking the only way to get hands on to fix it is to remove the faucet!
That means the basin wrench has to be gotten in and on that large nut that presses up against the cabinet top! Likely that drain is in the way and for sure not a good place to reach!

Name:   nut.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  13.3 KB

The advantage of the basin wrenches are that they fold over at the top so the grip portion is horizontal while the handle is vertical making it possible to work in the confined spaces behind sinks, etc.
The second advantage is that the grip part is made to grip tighter as you put pressure on and then slip as you get another grip for another move of the nut. Often very slow, very tedious as you often can't move the nut more than an 1/8 or 1/4 turn on each grip.
Hanging out over the stuff underneath? It needs a young monkey to get there and not regret it!

Then the second point I'm not sure what I see? Is this some form of crimped on adapter for threads or is it totally crimped connections? Not something I've seen before and would have expected the tails to be longer and the PEX directly attached to the faucet tubes?
Maybe something made for the odd use in an RV for their ease of install? If a special crimped on connection, I don't think of them as something I can fix due to not having the exact right crimp tools!

Name:	threaded.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	187067

Looks like a very bad situation as getting the faucet loose is a super bummer and then whether one has enough slack in the lines to pull it up far enough to tighten the connection, if it IS a threaded connection, is only about 60/40. So if not enough slack, can you get to the place where this braided line connects to the PEX RV lines to disconnect them?

Overall a BIG OUCH!

Tags
leak, newbie