Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Outlook 25J - pipe issue

Brand new RVers - just got the Outlook 25J - on first trip - already had to go to the dealer for an open water valve left open from the factory - anyway - there is what i think is an exhaust pipe right outside the driver door - gets hot - my husband hits it with his ankle/leg EVERY time he gets out .....1) is that what it is - 2) can that be covered/wrapped with something that won't melt so it won't "mame" him every time?
Daniel Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Crew View Post
Brand new RVers - just got the Outlook 25J - on first trip - already had to go to the dealer for an open water valve left open from the factory - anyway - there is what i think is an exhaust pipe right outside the driver door - gets hot - my husband hits it with his ankle/leg EVERY time he gets out .....1) is that what it is - 2) can that be covered/wrapped with something that won't melt so it won't "mame" him every time?
- Water valve may have been left open at the factory, but it's your job to make sure everything is open, closed, stowed, tied down, filled or emptied before you head out.

- Probably the generator exhaust pipe. Do you run the generator just prior to your husband making contact with it? That would explain the burns, as they do get hot when in use. Traveling on freeways in very hot ambient temperatures, and being in close proximity to the engine compartment, might also cause the pipe to be warm/hot. I would suggest that your husband be more careful when in the vicinity of the hot pipe. I can't think of anything you could wrap it with that would not create more potential problems.

- Unless I'm missing some gender related, homonym-based, anatomical scalding joke, "mame" is spelled "maim" when referencing physical damage/harm to one's person. Unless he's actually hitting it with his Lucille Ball?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The valve was supposed to be tightened/closed at the dealer when they tested the tank prior to giving us the RV - the dealer was very apologetic for the mistake - not something we would have ever known to check ....that one was not on us - thankfully...

As far as the heat - yes, it probably is coming from the generator -- and you can wrap motorcycle mufflers ...was wondering if anyone tried the same with this...and yes, trying to avoid would be the obvious option ....we run the generator often (we travel with dogs) - so the pipe is hot frequently....

The misspelling is on me - which is funny - I am all over my kids for not paying attention when posting ....clearly not getting enough sleep on my maiden voyage.... : )
Daniel Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I've used heat wrap on a motorcycle exhaust system in the past to help prevent radiant heat under the length of the bike. It will lessen the heat somewhat but not enough to prevent.... discomfort if you touch it.

If he continues to touch it either he can't be trained or likes getting burned.... lol just a joke there.

I'm not familiar with the pipes location but perhaps the pipe can be re-routed somewhat at a muffler shop at not to great of an expense, or they may have a solution using a guard that does not actually connect to the pipe itself. Getting burned is never fun or healthy.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Fiberglass comes in strips for wrapping pipe to prevent freeze but it is not up to wetting under and RV, so some mod to make it also water tight would be needed.
There are also decor type shiny covers for tailpipes but I've not looked for one to fit that small pipe.
Use care if rerouting the pipe as it is an exhaust and needs to be someplace where fumes are not allowed to get inside. Rather get burned than die, type thing?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:30 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Morich I believe that you don't know about the specific woven heat wrap for exhaust pipes that can get wet, the problem is it helps with radiant heat but still gets hot enough to burn. As far as rerouting the pipe I thought it was obvious that it had to be done is such a way as to avoid killing the OP with fumes (hence the muffler guy)