Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 02:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New travato owner

Just joined I have a 2021 travato refrigerator working on battery for 2-3 hrs then stops I assume voltage is low. Work on generator and when plug in to 110 . Any suggestions
Thx
Ira
Ira chernoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the club

I am going to take a stab at this for you. Looking at the spec's for your unit it states a 12v frig. I take it that your frig does not have the ability to switch between 120v, propane, and 12v. is this correct? If so your one or two coach batteries can not run the frig much more than you stated. In reality when plugged in or on gen. the batteries are being charged and you are getting the 12v power for the frig.

I am sure someone will come on and explain how many batteries etc. you will need to operate the frig and stuff for an extended length of time. I have no idea on that operation.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Yes 2 batteries refrigerator is only 12 volt no gas or ac on new units. Generator and electric when plug in works fine. Refrigerator on battery stops working after short time. Light stays on voltage seems to be to low 12.5 or 12.6 refrigerator stops. Not sure why voltage drops so fast should work for day at least from what I read.
Thx
Old 10-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
Site Team

You need to understand your batteries better and owning a new RV will certainly help teach you.

I’m not saying your batteries are not the problem but “12.5v or 12.6v” is almost fully charged. 12.7v is fully charged. When driving or when plugged in or when running the generator your batteries will be being charged at over 13v. It varies but let’s say 13.4v.

So you look at the voltage meter and see 13+ volts. When you turn off the charging (unplug, turn off gen, turn off engine) you still see 13+ volts on the meter. Hence, you think your batteries are fully charged. But what you’re seeing is just a surface charge.

So to know your actual state of charge you must let the batteries rest - no charging and no big drain - for an hour or more.

Once you do that then you’ll know the condition of your batteries and you’ll be better able to see if they are the problem or not.

If the are 12.1v or lower that’s the problem. To fully charge them up don’t expect a quick one hour recharge It will take 4-6 hours at least.

About that fridge, it will help if you start it before a trip while plugged in. Then when it’s cold load it and leave it plugged in. That way it will use less power to keep the food cold than to get the food cold when starting out.

Take a look at the YouTube channel “the Fit RV”. They have a Travoto and have done some videos on living with a Travato. Though they don’t have the same fridge as you.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Still not working

Voltage at 12.7 refrigerator defrosted nothing cold
Not working when car is on too I give up. Have to run generator full time
Old 10-19-2020, 06:24 AM   #6
Site Team

Then something else is wrong. You should not have to run the generator all the time for your fridge to operate.