Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New To Me

We just took delivery of a 2010 Sightseer.
Our first Class A & first Winnebago.
I have 3 newbie questions.
1) The unit is in storage now. The chassis & house batteries are removed for the winter. I want to be able to exercise the generator & run a 50% load on a monthly basis. Can I run the generator with the batteries removed.
2) Should the leveling jacks be retracted while in storage & the unit sitting on the suspension , or can they be left down.
3) Does the house and chassis battery disconnect on the side of the stairs have a time delay after pushing the button to activate.
Any help is appreciated.
Mike In NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
We just took delivery of a 2010 Sightseer.
Our first Class A & first Winnebago.
I have 3 newbie questions.
1) The unit is in storage now. The chassis & house batteries are removed for the winter. I want to be able to exercise the generator & run a 50% load on a monthly basis. Can I run the generator with the batteries removed.
2) Should the leveling jacks be retracted while in storage & the unit sitting on the suspension , or can they be left down.
3) Does the house and chassis battery disconnect on the side of the stairs have a time delay after pushing the button to activate.
Any help is appreciated.
Congrats on the Sightseer!! Here's my take on your questions.

1) You will need the batteries (or some source of 12v power) to start the generator. I leave my batteries in so that I can exercise the generator at least monthly.
2) I leave the jacks retracted.
3) After pushing the house or chassis disconnect button they should click on immediately and light up.

You don't say which Sightseer model that you have, but whichever one it is it'll be much the same as my 2010 Itasca Sunova 33C.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mike In NY, I leave the jack down to keep some of the weigh off the suspension and tires. I do clean the jack rods before retracting if it as been setting long.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Why did you remove the batteries? Exercising the generator on a regular basis will keep the batteries topped off, and help provide a load on the generator. Using your jacks to keep the weight off the tires and springs is a good idea, one you can take one step further by oiling the extended pistons or screws. Make a note and tape it in a prominent place to remind yourself to either wipe off the oil and dirt or pay someone to do it before you retract your jacks.
OldToolmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There will still be some drain on the batteries from parisite draw. I put a trickle charger on mine even in the winter here in TX when we are parked. If plugged into electric the chassis battery is still not being charge by the converter. As for the jacks if it is stored inside. I would drop them and take a rag dampened with hydrolic fluid and wipe the shaft down. If stored outside I would not drop the jacks. As for the switches as stated. Congrats on the unit, if you enjoy it half as much as we enjoy ours you will be happy. Ours is a '12 and have over 36M miles on it already.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hello Mike,

By storing the MH with the jacks down, the shafts are exposed to weather and possible oxidation and pitting. I just replaced a jack because I listened to a an "expert" who thought that tires and suspension would benefit if jacks were down. WRONG. Don't do it! When storing keep the jacks stored.

A word to the wise should be sufficient. Oh by the way, the cost of jack replacement: $450.00 with an extended warranty paying about $1100.00.

Another pearl of wisdom: Most repairs are as a result of self inflicted bone headed mistakes.

Also, study this forum, as it is vital for avoiding a lot of pain and enjoying many years of RVing bliss.

Phil
Old 12-31-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mike, use the search function above. There are a lot of opinions on your questions. Personally I remove my batteries and don't exercise the gen. all winter. No problems for the 5 years we have owned the MH. I put plywood boards under the tires and leave the jacks up.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

When my unit is in storage the jacks are up. However, we stay in it at least 6 months a year and the jacks are down. So do whatever makes you feel good. I would not get anxious about the generator. If it is easier to take the batteries out in Winter then do that and run the rig in the spring. When I had 3 batteries I would take them out. If you run the generator on a regular basis during the season you will be fine.