Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New member as soon-to-be 2108DS owners.

Hello all. We've joined your forum knowing that we are soon-to-be occupants of a 2108DS unless we had found major discouraging posts in this forum. We are happy to report that we found no horrible, Winnebago brand wise or otherwise, posts here which is a relief. Apparently the biggest (and only?) issues are the plastic bumper caps and the sometimes omitted LP tanks' cover bungee strap. I think we will live with these two minor issues and prepare for them prior to pickup day.
Like others here, we fully investigated the full quality range of many brands out there from throw-away to full fiberglass shells. Most important to us was a dry bath, a good layout for us, narrow width, and with construction (i.e aluminum framed) appropriately related to cost (better does cost more). The Winnebago towables fit the bill the best, in fact, the only brand that did so with the 2108DS and possibly the 190BH. The Minnie Drop 190BH was our final choice for a couple days but the nice narrow body (6'5") was cancelled by the overall wheel assembly width of 8'0" and the dry tongue weight of the 190BH was higher than that of the 2108DS. The 2108DS is also better laid out for adjustable cargo loading to get a good final tongue weight. My only reason for tongue weight concern is that we have a fiberglass cap on our Colorado which takes away from our usable truck cargo weight capacity.
There are many other features of the Winnebago that just beat out the others as well.
We are moving up from a 2016 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe to the 2108DS since we hope to start taking our grandson on some trips with us and we also decided to just plain have more room for ourselves on our trips. Our then future grandson became known of after our Casita was in production.
Now if only we can get our local dealer to respond and make his offer to us we can get our unit on order. We already know approximately what his offer is going to be based on their posted prices for their in-stock Winnebagos. We don't have a lot of dealers in our Jamestown NY area with our local dealer one hour away and the next one being almost two hours away. As is typical, both dealers have good Google customer reviews because they are smaller dealers so give better customer service and attention and pricing. I'm guessing we just happen to have drawn the sales person that either happens to be overworked at the moment or worse doesn't know what to do to make a customer not feel ignored. Sales people or anyone in business need to realize that just a simple 2 sentence email saying what the status is (busy, info from factory not received, personal issues at home, or other) goes a great distance to satisfy a customer such as myself. This is especially important if the customer has taken the time to provide written detailed information of the new trailer order specifications and information of the trailer to be traded. It seems that many of the people on this forum are detail oriented.
Anyway, this was just supposed to be a 'hello, I'm new here' post but seems to have gone well beyond that. Sorry. I expect this post will be the longest of any I will post. I do hope to continue to receive good input from all the forum postings and once we have our Winnebago I will post if I have something useful to contribute. Enjoy your weekend, Eric
EricWinnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on your purchase and wishing you many trouble free camping trips!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Macnut. I do recognize your name and photo from reading posts so I'm certain yours were some posts that I found useful.
We haven't ordered our trailer yet but on the good side we learned late yesterday that our salesman accidentally forgot to send out some factory available units information last week and he apologized more than once. These things happen and being patient worked. We should make some good progress today with an order by the end of this week.
Happy camping to you!
EricWinnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags