Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-16-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New guy to RV's - looking for Vectra info

Hello, this would be my first RV purchase. I realize I'm jumping in at the deep end, but I really don't have much interest in anything but a Class A diesel pusher. I'm at the lower end of the budget scale for one of these. I'm very mechanical, building and driving race cars for many years. I don't know too much about RVs, though.

All that being said, after looking extensively, the mid - 2000 years Winnebago Vectras seem to be much better built than any others in my budget range. I've seen numerous ones in the mid $50K range, which is where I would like to be, that look at least on the surface to be in very good condition. Even to my untrained RV eye, they seem to be more solid and well built than most others.

I've been looking at 40' models. Can any of you give me the ins and outs of 2003-2008 or so year Vectras - common problems, good and bad things on them, what to look for, etc. Unless warned off by deadly problems, I'm looking......

Thanks, and happy to be here.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We bought a used 2005 Vectra, Love the floor layout and the 4 slides. First thing I would look at is the Roof. Make sure it is in good condition and that maint. has been done. Only other problem is maint on Engine if you can get the service records would help a lot. We also did the extended Warranty on the engine just incase, they are not cheap to fix. Hope this helped some. Cat 350 in mine.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You can also look at the Itasca Horizon line in that same year. Identical units at the top of the Winnebago/Itasca lines for those years, just cosmetic differences for the most part. Both came in several Cat/Cummin engine models on the Freightliner chassis.

Each year added a few upgrades and tweaks to both the RV and chassis so the later models may have a bit more features than the earlier years. In case you didn't know it, you can go here https://winnebagoind.com/product-res...ct-information to download the sales brochures and other doc for the various models.

Mine has been fairly solid, just the normal maintenance one would expect over the years. Pretty much do as you'd do with any used unit... check everything over, make sure all the systems work, look at the age of the tires (a set of 6 of the 22" boys will cost you $2500-4500 depending.)

Based on other postings, as Eagle said check the roof. The Winnie roof is fiberglass but the edge seams around the perimeter must be maintained. Look inside at the roof panels, inspect for any sign of water stain or sagging (some reports of the liner glue failing.) Make sure the central heat pump (air cond and heat) works. Check what fridge is installed and condition... most had the Norcold 1201 and there have been some issues with that model (NOT a Winnebago issue but...) Something a bit hard to check is the famous windshield frame rusting. Got bit by that myself. Unfortunately its hard to check unless you pull the trim away from across the top of the windshield. Check the leveling system.

But having said all that, the Vectras are pretty solid and come with a ton of features. Mine has held up well and we are very pleased.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote