Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Greetings All!!!!

Hope all are well. Newbie at RVing. Just purchased a 2004 Itasca, 38 footer. Very nice unit. A few questions:
1. Shower pressure is weak. How can I improve?

2. Hot water smells bad. Had a hot water heater in an old house once with the same problem. How do l fix this.

Thanks for your ideas.😂😂😂😂
Luckydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Luckydog, Ive only been RVing for 1.5 years so you will probably get more experienced responders, but what I think I know is this;

Some RVs have pretty small water supply lines. I believe this is intentional to help the camper keep the water usage down when dry camping, etc. You may also have a built in pressure regulator (which most everyone should have) that may be contributing to throttling the flow. Take a look under your sinks at the diameter of your water lines. Personally I just think it’s something you get used to. I changed the shower head in my first rig and gained some improvement.
My present rig is not too bad but it’s not like the house.

If you have a manual for your rig, it should have a section about sanitizing the fresh water system. This would be the first place to start. Check your heater element while you’re at it. They’re not all that expensive as I recall.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Believe 56 is on track.

Couple more thoughts. If you have a "whole house" water filter, one of the symptoms indicating it needs changing is a reduction of water flow.

Flush your water heater and check your anode. Even if you have an Atwood heater, you should be using an anode. And changing a couple of times a year. As it degrades it will precipitate a milky salt that will collect in the hot water tank and may flow to your shower head and clog the orifices. And check/change your sink faucet aerators.

When you sanitize your fresh water system, (I use laundry bleach - sans fragrance) make sure you open ALL the hot water faucets in your coach to draw the sanitizer through the water heater and all the hot water lines. Run it 'til you smell it!

Good hunting!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote