Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2005, 05:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Check the link for full story:
Click here --> News Story

edited link

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Check the link for full story:
Click here --> News Story

edited link

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Interesting. Wonder if QC will be better? Thanks for the post and Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

That article doesn't make any sense. They discontinued the Ultimate Advantage and Freedom lines more then a year ago, because they couldn't compete in the high end luxury coach market(per Winnebago management). The Vector & Horizon certainly aren't high end luxury coaches. Just because they raise their prices on those units, doesn't make then high end luxury coaches.

When we were at this years GNR, some factory people stopped us and wanted to know how we liked our coaches. We could see that they were concerned, so, we didn't dump on them and tell them our horror stories. We let them talk and talk they did, and the more they talked the more we could feel they had fustrations. In short, increased production rates created less time for them to do their jobs completely. The high summer heat, longer hours and then knowing that a big layoff was coming took a toll on them. They complained about management clicks and how hard it was to get changes implimented when they saw problems. Their big concern, was the building of a new facility in Charles City. This facility was to support a 30% increase in production, as management thought, but actually caused more problems, because it forced some workers to drive 60 miles one way to get to work, which lengthen their work day and added to their travel expense. It was a benifit to some, but it was actually a burden to others.

This article certainly is a an eye opener and helps explains some of the quality issues we have faced.

Radarr
Old 10-23-2005, 06:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radarr:
That article doesn't make any sense. They discontinued the Ultimate Advantage and Freedom lines more then a year ago, because they couldn't compete in the high end luxury coach market(per Winnebago management). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't get it either. Vectras and Horizons were being built in Forest City in late March of this year when we visited the factory.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Your correct John, infact I watched the very first 04 units come off the assembly line in 03, before most folks knew what those models were.

I went to my handy Webster's Dictionary, 4th Edition and the word OXYMORON came to mind, because it is contradictory, maybe even foolish.

Radarr
Old 10-24-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

When we were at FC in Sept, we couldn't see any of the diesels except Journey and Meridian being made because they weren't giving tours at Charles City . As I read that news release they are bringing the other 4 back to FC. Apparently they had moved them down in the spring and it wasn't working.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

A rearrangement of the deck chairs on a sinking ship, if the quality of the coaches doesn't improve significantly. Winnebago ,of all the mfg., should by now be able to design and build a quality product that will be in demand because it is a well built MH. Quality control and innovative design will be the only way to survive in the high fuel cost environment that now exist. Just my opinion.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Beabop,
I took the Forest City Plant tour at least three times during the GNR this year and all the Vectras & Horizons were coming off those lines as they were in 2004. Charles City was suppose to set up for class Cs and the wood shop.

Oh-one,

I couldn't have said it any better. The fuel situation is having a he__ of an effect on everything. Now with the storms on the southern east coast, and all the Rallies going on there, thats one place I certainly wouldn't want to be.
Just about the time it looks like things might start to get back together, wuuuum, here comes another storm. UNBELIEVABLE

Radarr
Old 10-25-2005, 05:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi Rich...Winnebago has three plants at Charles City. The new Class C plant, the hardwood plant, as Winnebago calls it, and what was the Ultimate plant. After the end of Ultimate production they started building Vectra/Horizons at that plant, but still drove the coaches up to Forest City for paint and ship out.

2010 View 24K
warrenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hey Warrenh, thanks for the update, that's new news to me.
By the way, how's the quality of your coach? What have you experienced?

Radarr
Old 10-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We had a 2001 Adventurer 35U before the Horizon and "Quality" seems to have been higher on Winnbago's List in 2001 then in 2005. Maybe the pressure was put on the workers for more production in the last couple of years. Also the different departments in Winnebago don't seem to talk to each other. One example we had was a gray tank odor under the kitchen sink, it was coming from the dishwasher drain. When we had it serviced in Forest City they ask me who installed the dishwasher that way? Well, the dishwasher was factory installed. We have also had problems with slide leaks. Each worker seems to have there own way of trying to repair the leaks. As with any company, some techs have better skills then others,some take short cuts on doing the job. After two trips through factory service our slides only leak "sometimes"

2010 View 24K
warrenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After two trips through factory service our slides only leak "sometimes" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After a trip to the dealer mine only leaks sometime too, when ever it rains.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I can see 2 places neither of you want to get caught, that's in the rain and in below zero weather. Your coaches will food you out and freeze you out.
Boy, that's good to know isn't it?

Oh well, back to the garage, it's safer in there.

Radarr